TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gochanour2541 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Colby Gochanour

Are you there God? It's me, Colby - July 23rd 2013, 03:22 PM

I've been a big part of my church, but lately I've been doubting the total existence of God. Why does God let such bad things happen to others?

The bible says God only gives you what you can handle in life. If this is true, why a I always suicidal? I'm see a psychiatrist. I've seen a counselor. I talk about my problems constantly. I go exercise, and I eat (mostly) healthy. Why is he still putting me though this? I honestly don't know how much more of it I could take. It feels like he's just looking the other way, if he's there at all...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Are you there God? It's me, Colby - July 23rd 2013, 04:58 PM

I guess the saying here applies: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Everyone goes through hard times, everyone struggles, at one point or another everyone feels as if they are on the edge of their rope. But these hard times, these struggles are what make us stronger people. You have to go through hell to fully appreciate heaven (and I use that metaphorically, as I don’t believe in either.)

I know when I was a teen I struggled with having faith as well. It didn't make sense why life was so hard for me; I didn't understand what I did to deserve this. And if there was a god, why was he letting this happen to me? I didn't do anything wrong. But then I realized having faith isn't really about understanding; it’s about hope that there is a bigger plan out there that we are not privy too. That all this suffering and pain will create in me strength that I will need later in my life. That it’s preparing me for a future I don’t know about. To have faith that god knows what he is doing and to trust in that, is hard now; but things will all work out in the end the way they are supposed to. To me, that is what faith is all about.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Are you there God? It's me, Colby - July 23rd 2013, 06:11 PM

Although this might sound a little unusual, have you ever thought you're looking in the wrong direction for your answers? You're wondering why God puts you through all these things but maybe it's not him that's the problem, so to speak. You've said in your introduction thread that you major in Psychology which should mean you know about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Sometimes what we're trying to teach ourselves may be the wrong way. Try re-teaching yourself a new, positive way of thinking. Collect all your problems together and turn them into a strength. Work through each of your problems, search deep inside of yourself for reasons of why you still feel suicidal, not all answers are given to us easily, some we have to work for. Using CBT, teach yourself how to tackle and overcome whatever life throws your way. Nothing is and ever will be easy but that is why we were given such challenges, to make us stronger and to work towards being happier. Tell yourself that you can get over your problems, tell yourself, "I can do this!" and you will start believing it. You must first have faith in yourself.

You said you talk about your problems constantly and that you have a fairly healthy diet as well as exercise, maybe you need more than this? Do you have a hobby? Something you're really interested in besides anything such as Psychology? Maybe you like sports or sitting quietly with a good book? If you don't think you have many hobbies try discovering a new one. There's hundreds of hobbies in the world each waiting to be discovered by someone new. You never know what life will bring you if you don't explore. This can help to distract you from your suicidal thoughts and perhaps even get rid of them completely.

If you're on medication, maybe you're on the wrong types or maybe you need a replacement because the ones your on are starting to become less effective as your body may be getting used to them.

Your questioning your faith is natural when you're feeling so low. Take up the advice Lizzie gave you. And remember that all things happen for a reason. There is and always will be, a light in a dark room. You just need to find it and switch it on.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Are you there God? It's me, Colby - July 25th 2013, 06:17 AM

There's no need to continue believing in God if you find yourself unable to reconcile any of what's going on in your life with the existence of a deity, let alone an allegedly omnibenevolent one.
Of course you can still continue believing in God if you so wish it. But the other path is not damnation, and can liberate some. Just as I'm sure the contrary has done in the past. In the end, you yourself are the tool with which you can ameliorate yourself. You cannot afford to leave it in the hands of the notion known as "God". Seek professional help and maintain or discard your faith as you deem fit.

One million miles away...

Last edited by ~Mr. Self Destruct~; July 25th 2013 at 11:56 AM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Are you there God? It's me, Colby - July 25th 2013, 09:53 AM

Hi There,

If what you are trying to help your depression does not work, you may have to try other things such as CBT, group therapy or changing your medication.
God has been doubted by everyone at some point even people that believe in him. No person lives there whole life believing one hundred percent of the time. Doubt slips in somewhere.
This world is to complex of a place for us to understand, a lot of what is occurring now is discussed in the Bible as what will happen near Jesus second coming.
Another thing, have you ever read anything by C.S. Lewis?, if not, The Screwtape letters may be able to give you some prospective on this.
You are not alone in doubting or questioning the existence of God. He gives you free will to choose whether you want to believe in him or not.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread