TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

god bless you and everyone else says f*** you - August 31st 2013, 01:25 AM

I love how when I am repeatedly kind to people they stomp all over it.

I say bless you and bless this conversation and the only thing everyone else can say is screw you and degrade my every feeling about God.

Thanks for that.

Most aetheists can still practice politeness and honestly don't care if I say "I'm praying for you" becuase it's just a gesture to them that I am keeping them in my thoughts...

but I'm glad you think you're entitled to mistreat others.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Re: god bless you and everyone else says f*** you - August 31st 2013, 04:22 AM

I'm sorry about those people. Not all atheists are devoted douchebags, but those who are paint a bad image for all the quiet and polite atheists.

"Structure is the enemy of progressive thought."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: god bless you and everyone else says f*** you - August 31st 2013, 11:26 AM

Personally, I find it to be quite kind when any of my religious friends tell me that. It's a manifestation of them caring for me. Anyone is capable of that, whether that's a direct compliment or a typical religious invocation. I don't take much care for the semantics of something said such as "bless you". It's the sentiment that counts, in my mind.
It can be obnoxious when done with malice, however.

One million miles away...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: god bless you and everyone else says f*** you - August 31st 2013, 01:10 PM

I've never had a problem with the expression "God bless you" or anything similar. "I'm praying for you," on the other hand depends on the context in my opinion. If someone says that because they perceive I need to be "saved" or they have a problem with my lifestyle, then I might get a bit upset.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: god bless you and everyone else says f*** you - August 31st 2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahgreenwood View Post
I love how when I am repeatedly kind to people they stomp all over it.

I say bless you and bless this conversation and the only thing everyone else can say is screw you and degrade my every feeling about God.

Thanks for that.

Most aetheists can still practice politeness and honestly don't care if I say "I'm praying for you" becuase it's just a gesture to them that I am keeping them in my thoughts...

but I'm glad you think you're entitled to mistreat others.
I know how you feel. 10000000000%.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: god bless you and everyone else says f*** you - August 31st 2013, 05:30 PM

Hey,

I'm going to be controversial .

First, I'll be sympathetic - I'm sorry if you get offended by people, and if they're going about it in an unkind manner. Oh, and that includes if my following comments are annoying.

However, so long as they're civil about it, it's exactly the same religious freedoms that you have in expressing your thoughts for them that allows them to disbelieve and even oppose prayer, since they see it as "useless" (which, scientifically speaking, I guess it is) - infact, quite a few atheists see "bless you" as an insult to their beliefs.

I can see where you're coming from - you're just trying to do good, and you should be given credit for that in a civil opposition to views if someone wishes to oppose them.

Please don't see me as being too insensitive, I'm just looking at this from a different perspective of what the atheists might be doing. I wasn't there - perhaps they weren't civil (or didn't seem like it, because you disliked what you saw as an attack on your beliefs), but perhaps they were and were making a perfectly valid point that they are entitled to make.

You can believe what you wish - others may do likewise, though.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: god bless you and everyone else says f*** you - September 2nd 2013, 01:38 AM

I am sorry that people are showing hostility towards your religious expression.

As an atheist. Or even just as a human being. I don't think it is right that people can't find a way to just let other peoples religious stuff go.

If someone says they're praying for me then who the hell cares, I'd let that go. As far as I am concerned comments like that are the same thing as my wishing someone good luck. No biggie.

However, I DO expect civility BUT I think that it is a 2 way road, if people have to accept your view then you have to accept theirs.

And if I am being perfectly honest, I don't want devotion constantly brought up. Being like oh this blessed thing, or god blessed us or God is so good... Over. Ever. Little. Thing... If I am being perfectly honest it can be a little exhausting to hear about ALL the time... I really do not have a problem with anyone's religious beliefs and I don't want this comment being taken the wrong way, but I'm sure you'd be a little tired of having religious comments thrown at you if you couldn't relate to the comment. Of course, if you are just being nice then that's how it is. And again, I am sorry if you DO do this a lot and get met with hostility over it, even if I WAS tired of constantly hearing non-stop religious comments I'd still let it go, I'm not going to get pissy with someone just cause of something like that.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: god bless you and everyone else says f*** you - September 2nd 2013, 01:55 AM

I'm really sorry that they're being so hostile towards you. As long as you're doing it because you care and aren't intending to shove your religion down their throats, there's no need for them to be that rude to you. In anything, they should just let you know they'd prefer it if you didn't say that.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Kraziee65 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: god bless you and everyone else says f*** you - September 2nd 2013, 03:05 AM

Oh, can I get a christian point of view on this?
I guess I should since every person on here is an Atheist.
In my opinion telling a Atheist "May god bless you" ,and then they just rage all over it is kind of like holding a door for a woman and she tell's you "I can hold a door myself, Jerk."
It's almost like being kind and courteous to others is discouraged, but then again, saying "God bless you" to an Atheist, Is like telling them that they're belief's are wrong. Doesn't make it any less annoying though.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: god bless you and everyone else says f*** you - September 2nd 2013, 03:51 AM

I don't find it rude, but maybe you should just stop saying it to these specific people? I'd kind of like to hear this conversation in context. From your perspective, they may have sounded really rude, but they may have just tried to tell you that they'd prefer you not say those phrases to them. It's best to respect that, even if you think it's silly. It's like how I don't talk about my sex-positive values around my Christian friends, I just know it'll make them uncomfortable. It's just being courteous of other people's views. Doesn't mean you can't still pray for them in your own time.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

Re: god bless you and everyone else says f*** you - September 8th 2013, 03:17 AM

Thanks so much guys. I hadn't even thought of the whole "it can be annoying" aspect.

And I will pray for them.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: god bless you and everyone else says f*** you - September 9th 2013, 01:16 PM

I really think it depends on the context. Can you point to some examples? Are you offering blessings in place of advice?

Closed Thread