TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Blaming other peoples religious values - September 2nd 2013, 03:03 PM

I've noticed it is a common trend in this forum for people to automatically blame the atheist. Like oh, well atheists said this bad thing about my religion and said that bad thing about how I do this that and the other.... It honestly gets kind of old. I know a lot of atheists. LOADS of us are totally cool with other peoples religions... Some of us are a little bitter OR just get annoyed by the "illogicalness" of religion... BUT as far as I am concerned being an atheist is no better or worse then being a Christian, a Muslim, a Hindu, a Jew or a Buddhist.

In fact I have been downright insulted by many Christians in my lifetime, I've had it suggested to me that I can't possibly have any morals because apparently the only way to have any of those is to be religious (SO NOT TRUE), I've been treated like I am being a ridiculous, oblivious person because I don't think there is a God or a heaven (yet I can totally understand why someone would believe in it, I just don't), it's just this overall idea that I am being ridiculous because "oh, how can you NOT have figured out that there's a god?" (well, by extension I could be asking how someone hasn't figured out that there's NOT a god but I have the decency to respect their beliefs and have a religious discussion WITHOUT acting all high minded about it)

I just find it interesting, but I genuinely like religions, I like knowing what people believe and why they believe it. I can totally understand what would draw a person to one religion over the other. And I know many other great atheists who, even if they're not as opened minded as myself, are STILL going to be respectful of other peoples religions, yet I constantly see the atheist being blamed for being mean, rude, indecent, disrespectful etc.... When I myself have had experiences of the same treatment of those religious people.

I just think it goes both ways. That's all. Loads of Christians don't care what others believe, loads of atheists don't care what others believe. Heck, I have my opinions but I'm not going to go out and flip out on others for it... But when push comes to shove I see it all to often where its the atheist who could be the only one on the wrong... NOT the Christian... I know a lot of Christian people know better, don't get me wrong... I just see that happening A LOT

*I used Christianity because A) I know mostly Christians, agnostics and atheists so when I talk to someone about religion it tends to be 1 of the 3 and B) most of the posts on this forum originate from an atheist or Christian point of view... I am not neglecting other religious perspectives, just trying to keep it tidy and neat*

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Re: Blaming other peoples religious values - September 2nd 2013, 09:41 PM

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Not all atheists are devoted douchebags who act like negativity rockets, but those who are ruin the image for all atheists. Same thing goes for Christians and other religions. When I'm getting to know someone, I usually leave religion out of it. I have a best friend who's Christian and he doesn't make it a big deal about it, but I might run into a complete stranger who will give me a 15 minute lecture on why atheism is terrible and that I'm going to hell, along with the regular load of shit. Hell, one time I was out in public and I said the word "suck" and I had this random old lady come up to me (she was wearing a cross) and get all pissy about me saying it. Did the 3 other people around me care that I said that word? They just went on with their day, which must mean they didn't. I've seen both ignorant atheists and ignorant Christians, yet the ignorant atheists seem to get more attention out of the two.

"Structure is the enemy of progressive thought."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Blaming other peoples religious values - September 2nd 2013, 10:59 PM

That's my point. You get jack asses AND great people on both sides of it... But I so commonly see people just assuming that the entire group is a bunch of evil-doing negative Nancy's just cause they've had the misfortune of coming across a few like that.

Like I said, I know a lot of Christians who act like I am riduclous, naive and without morals for being an atheist and that I MUST have religion somewhere in order not to be a god awful person... Uh... thanks??? So it goes on both sides....

I wish people would just get a grip on reality, it's 2013, we sort of have to deal with people from different religions. I'm not saying you need to be an expert, heck, even after studying it in university for 4 years I am still short of being an expert (I know a lot, but I don't know everything), I'm just saying in this day and age people really need to let it go, they need to educate themselves about other peoples religions (what is the premise of Islam, how do they practice, what are their beliefs etc.) and try to imagine why it'd appeal to that person even if it doesn't suit it for them.... How hard is that to do? I have my own opinions that allow me to confidently say I am an atheist but I can still imagine why someone would be a Christian or a Muslim or a Buddhist or a Jew etc..

I think it's sad that there are so many people who seem to feel the need to degrade other religions to validate their own beliefs. Keep in mind that comment is to the people attacking religion... NOT the ones getting mad at X group and defending it, but even still that's frustrating, I personally don't like feeling accused of being a horrible person based on my religion alone but hey, it can do...

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: Blaming other peoples religious values - September 2nd 2013, 11:15 PM

I think it's also that these types of things tend to attract the bad ones like moths to a flame. They're the ones with really strong opinions that need to be vocalized so they are usually the ones who show up whenever something happens.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#5 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Blaming other peoples religious values - September 3rd 2013, 09:56 PM

I was going to write a (probably quite lengthy) reply about how unfortunately there are arrogant tools on all sides of the religion and the like, but then I realised I could sum it up like this instead:

Much more fun.

Bottom line is, the negativity does suck a lot and it can get you down when you feel under attack. But the best approach is not to let it. Continue to educate yourself and debate the topics, and that's the best way to combat the negativity.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread