TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Atheist support - September 22nd 2013, 04:49 PM

hi guys, I am female, 14 and an proud atheist (no mom its not for attention, its cause the whole idea of a man in the clouds watching me is DUMB to me). Anyway, I just started to come out to people and even anyone needs support or just wants to talk about it, post it here. I love to help out guys. I got to a private school that makes us study the bible and go the church on wednesday at school but its a good school and they open my eyes. I tell you nothing can make you an atheist faster than reading the bible

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Atheist support - September 22nd 2013, 06:22 PM

Hey, I'm an atheist as well. If you ever need support, feel free to PM me.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Atheist support - September 22nd 2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coexist. View Post
Hey, I'm an atheist as well. If you ever need support, feel free to PM me.

that's a deal!

anyone not sure about what they believe, should check out the movie religulous on netflix (or it was on it)

Follow me on twitter! https://twitter.com/AtheistFire

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: Atheist support - September 22nd 2013, 07:38 PM

I used to attend the same kind of school and you are so right.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Satine Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Atheist support - September 22nd 2013, 08:07 PM

Another atheist here. Again, if you need support you can contact me too!

Oh, and yes - I attended a Christian school and that made menmore aware of the whole Christianity vs. Atheism debate. I chose to be an atheist...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Atheist support - September 22nd 2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satine View Post
Another atheist here. Again, if you need support you can contact me too!

Oh, and yes - I attended a Christian school and that made menmore aware of the whole Christianity vs. Atheism debate. I chose to be an atheist...
being force to read the bible made me an atheist. I dont see how anyone can read that book and not become one. Even if there is a god i couldnt support one that would allow what goes on in that book

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: Atheist support - September 23rd 2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistProud View Post
being force to read the bible made me an atheist. I dont see how anyone can read that book and not become one. Even if there is a god i couldnt support one that would allow what goes on in that book
So very true. I always asked my parents why it was not okay for me to see a pg 13 movie but they wanted me to read a book filled with the worst kind of things imaginable.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#8 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Atheist support - September 23rd 2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Hate to burst your bubble, but I've read it. Still not an atheist. Sorry.

If you want to know why feel free to PM me, but otherwise I hope you can feel comfortable here regardless of the range of points of view on here when it comes to religion.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Atheist support - September 24th 2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
being force to read the bible made me an atheist. I dont see how anyone can read that book and not become one.
I have read the bible and it didn’t make me an atheist. It didn’t make me a Christian (or Jewish, depending on which testament you are referring to) either though. Different people read the bible differently, some take it literally, others take it more metaphorically, and some see a little bit of both in the bible. It just depends on the person reading it. All in all, it has some great historical context in it.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kraziee65 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Atheist support - September 24th 2013, 11:37 PM

Well I guess I'm not welcomed here. Reading the bible made me a christian, not an atheist.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Atheist support - September 24th 2013, 11:52 PM

I'm not going to argue the existence of God because I'm still on the fence about that myself. That isn't what has driven me away from the Bible. The thing that has driven me away is the hypocrisy found within it. I go to a religious school (long story) and I'm honestly shocked by how bigoted and intolerant some people can be. According to the Bible, we are called to "love our neighbor" and treat everyone with respect...unless that person happens to be gay, a non-believer, or somehow different from the "image of God." I just can't condone the idea of a God who would create the human race, give them free will, and then direct us to be intolerant or harsh towards people that choose a lifestyle different than that of the Bible. I hear comments on a regular basis on my campus that make me wonder what kind of god my classmates are so eager to serve. It's the moral teachings, more than the spiritual teachings, that have led me to start questioning religion as a whole.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Atheist support - September 25th 2013, 01:11 AM

I agree with reading the entire Bible can make people become atheist. I think it was Penn and Teller who said in an episode of Bullshit! that more people should read the Bible. They have an interesting episode about the Bible you may want to see if you can find on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk0K1zgCDtE

(#13 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

September 25th 2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post

I have read the bible and it didn’t make me an atheist. It didn’t make me a Christian (or Jewish, depending on which testament you are referring to) either though. Different people read the bible differently, some take it literally, others take it more metaphorically, and some see a little bit of both in the bible. It just depends on the person reading it. All in all, it has some great historical context in it.
Well if it didnt make me an atheist, it would have made me HATE god. If you took the GOD rules from it, and said it was a leader of China having those rules we all would say he needs to be take out of power.

Also I do NOT see how anyone can read it when they support, more than support i would demand men to beat their wives, kill or sell their kids in to slavery, and they are even ok with incest. This is just 1 of the SMALL problems i have of with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquerade. View Post
I'm not going to argue the existence of God because I'm still on the fence about that myself. That isn't what has driven me away from the Bible. The thing that has driven me away is the hypocrisy found within it. I go to a religious school (long story) and I'm honestly shocked by how bigoted and intolerant some people can be. According to the Bible, we are called to "love our neighbor" and treat everyone with respect...unless that person happens to be gay, a non-believer, or somehow different from the "image of God." I just can't condone the idea of a God who would create the human race, give them free will, and then direct us to be intolerant or harsh towards people that choose a lifestyle different than that of the Bible. I hear comments on a regular basis on my campus that make me wonder what kind of god my classmates are so eager to serve. It's the moral teachings, more than the spiritual teachings, that have led me to start questioning religion as a whole.

THE BEST POST EVER!!!!

Last edited by Lizzie; September 25th 2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Kraziee65 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Atheist support - September 25th 2013, 02:37 AM

Oh, Can I defend Christians here? There is a bit of hypocrisy in christian's, but there's also a bit of hypocrisy in atheist also. Some atheist claim to be highly-moralized and more morale then a christian, but act like the christian's you guys are calling out on this thread. It's human nature, so of course it doesn't fully follow God. It isn't all atheist or all christian's, in fact its the minority that give's the bad rep. I live in a heavily christian state yet all of the christian's I've met supported gay rights and believed that God created everybody equal. Oh, and the bible doesn't really give God's full persona. In fact nothing does. Interacting with God by praying is the closest you can get. I'm glad you're proud of who you are. I respect that, just don't let your hubris make you jump to conclusions. It doesn't help you see the world in a better light.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Katie Lydia Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Atheist support - September 25th 2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
hi guys, I am female, 14 and an proud atheist (no mom its not for attention, its cause the whole idea of a man in the clouds watching me is DUMB to me). Anyway, I just started to come out to people and even anyone needs support or just wants to talk about it, post it here. I love to help out guys. I got to a private school that makes us study the bible and go the church on wednesday at school but its a good school and they open my eyes. I tell you nothing can make you an atheist faster than reading the bible

Hey good on you for being an atheist and making your own choices! I would like to point out that be careful on what you post, you have your own opinions and I would never shut anyone down on their opinions and beliefs but in future maybe chose better words as I found that offensive and I'm not a catholic or even an atheist. I was raised catholic by my mother who truly believes in it and raised me to believe it until I was able to decide for myself, I decided not to practice anymore because I wasn't fully committed and I never practiced my religion as I got older.

I'm an agnostic, I chose to believe that yes there is the possibly of a deity but I chose to not believe in it. If someone believes there's a giant crocodile watching over us and created the world who am I to say they're wrong? If you believe in it then who's to tell you wrong? We don't know all the answers and we may never know the answers, ANY religion is all about faith - not shoving our beliefs down each others throats.

As for the bible, I can't lie, I haven't read all of it, I have read passages and some are inspiring, knowledgeable and enlightening but in my opinion it's your interpretation of it, even when I was a practising catholic I didn't agree with those that took the bible for it's exact words.

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acid stains you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

♥ Family ♥ Animals ♥ Cats

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Atheist support - September 25th 2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason C. View Post
Oh, Can I defend Christians here? There is a bit of hypocrisy in christian's, but there's also a bit of hypocrisy in atheist also. Some atheist claim to be highly-moralized and more morale then a christian, but act like the christian's you guys are calling out on this thread. It's human nature, so of course it doesn't fully follow God. It isn't all atheist or all christian's, in fact its the minority that give's the bad rep. I live in a heavily christian state yet all of the christian's I've met supported gay rights and believed that God created everybody equal. Oh, and the bible doesn't really give God's full persona. In fact nothing does. Interacting with God by praying is the closest you can get. I'm glad you're proud of who you are. I respect that, just don't let your hubris make you jump to conclusions. It doesn't help you see the world in a better light.
I fully agree with the fact that being a Christian doesn't make you a hypocrite. I'm not going to generalize by saying that all Christians are hypocrites or intolerant. I have met a few that have a very liberal point of view and seem to have a solid balance of faith and reason. That being said, I'm not sure it's the minority that creates the bad reputation. 90% of the Christians that I have had a civil rights conversation with tend to lean towards the picture that a lot of us have of Christian views. It's just the way it seems to be in the Christian culture right now.

By the way, quick disclaimer. I have nothing against Christians and I fully respect the fact that people have the right to believe in whatever they choose. I just can't bring myself to fully believe in God after everything that I have seen and experienced, being in a heavily Christian environment.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#17 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

September 26th 2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Lydia View Post

in the future maybe chose better words as I found that offensive and I'm not a catholic or even an atheist.
sorry but it seems now days everyone is offend or gets offended by everything someone say or does. Also they (not saying you) seem to believe its a right not to be offended. If I did offended, I guess i am sorry that i did, not sure how. But the me (only me maybe) words are important and i say how i feel. if somoene (again not saying you) have a issue with that, i hope they can over look that and see that we all have different styles of talking, different ways to say things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason C. View Post
Some atheist claim to be highly-moralized and more morale then a christian,
maybe its one of things that you dont see if you do it yourself, but i never really seen any atheist, that i know, that feel like that more or less morale than anyone else. But with any 'party' you have your followers, you snobs, your nuts

Last edited by Lizzie; September 26th 2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts

Closed Thread