TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

What do you think happens to you when you die - September 22nd 2013, 05:06 PM

What do you think 'life' is like after death? For me, i believe that nothing happens. I believe when I die it will be the same for me as 1865 was for me. I wasn't born, i didnt know it, i was nothing. At death I also will be nothing.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 22nd 2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistProud View Post
What do you think 'life' is like after death? For me, i believe that nothing happens. I believe when I die it will be the same for me as 1865 was for me. I wasn't born, i didnt know it, i was nothing. At death I also will be nothing.
I think we turn into fertilizer and feed the plants that we once used to live. If you mean what happens consciously, I'm not sure. I'd venture to say it's similar to pre-birth. I have no reason to think otherwise. But, technically, we don't ever die. We lose consciousness and breakdown into tinier bits of matter and feed the ground. Eventually, decomposers will turn our dead cells and renew them into other lifeforms. So... essentially, we will become other people, animals, whatever... just like technically we are made from dinosaurs, stardust, and the like.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 22nd 2013, 06:02 PM

oh ok that sounds die to me, how can you be alive for all that? very confused now

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 22nd 2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
oh ok that sounds die to me, how can you be alive for all that? very confused now
Decomposers like fungi feed on dead organic materials and, in a sense, renew them making the material available to new organisms. We just won't be conscious. Humans are essentially made of other dead organisms, which were made from star dust. In other words, you are made of dinosaur because a decomposer fed off the decaying dinosaur and renewed its material so that you could be born. That dinosaur is no longer conscious, but you are still composed of its material.

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Decomposer

- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 23rd 2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Mike and Men View Post
Decomposers like fungi feed on dead organic materials and, in a sense, renew them making the material available to new organisms. .

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Decomposer
"dad organic" so WE ARE DEAD, i thought the guy said we dont really die

Follow me on twitter! https://twitter.com/AtheistFire

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 23rd 2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
"dad organic" so WE ARE DEAD, i thought the guy said we dont really die
It depends how you define "we." If you define it as our conscious, yes, we are dead. But, our makeup is recycled. So, what we are made of is essentially still living.

- Carl Sagan

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 23rd 2013, 06:03 AM

I'm with Michael. For some reason, I find the idea of decomposing actually quite comforting. Your life becomes other life. You become part of the Earth. It's not a conscious afterlife, but still continuing in another form. Very cool.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 23rd 2013, 09:15 PM

i dont get it, if your died, there is no LIFE, do you understand what life means? Life means "the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body, the ability to grow" if your DEAD you are not alive. I never asked WHAT HAPPENS TO OUR BODY
as for WE i think we all know what we means, "I and the rest of a group that includes me"

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 23rd 2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
i dont get it, if your died, there is no LIFE, do you understand what life means? Life means "the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body, the ability to grow" if your DEAD you are not alive. I never asked WHAT HAPPENS TO OUR BODY
as for WE i think we all know what we means, "I and the rest of a group that includes me"
Okay. Science lesson.

Plants require sunlight, oxygen, carbon dioxide, water and nutrients to live. I'm sure you know about respiration, photosynthesis (and if you don't, you probably should ), etc.
The nutrients are partly from the ground. Where are they from? Well, dead and decomposing formerly-living things.
We decompose when we die, thus contributing those nutrients to support new life.

I know you meant afterlife, reincarnation, etc. but I don't believe in any of those. I've never thought about it like Michael...but I like it. It's a scientifically-comforting thought. And I know it will happen, always good.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 23rd 2013, 09:43 PM

We recently had a poll and discussion on afterlife if you want to check out what other users thought about this topic.
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f39-r...625-afterlife/

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 25th 2013, 01:23 AM

Rachel, right you said "dead and decomposing formerly-living things" and that is what i said the BODY is dead, it is not alive

(#12 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 25th 2013, 04:47 AM

This is actually a really tough question for me to answer because I believe in two different things. I believe in reincarnation but I also believe in heaven. I guess I have fully come to develop what I believe when it comes to death and "where" we go. My faith is still growing and changing and due to this so is my view on death.

I kind of believe that we are able to go and experience heaven for a time being and then after a while we are reincarnated; like once we have been allowed to rest. Meh, I would actually like to read more books about heaven and reincarnation to develop a better understanding on both topics but until then I suppose I'll have this weird semi-idea on it all.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Forever we'll just lay here
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Vint Fall

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 25th 2013, 07:35 PM

Guys, she asked about life as in consciousness, not what happens to our body (what we leave behind) with death. Is it relevant?
Who would think we'd keep our bodies even in death?

I believe in anything.
The universe is an enormous place.
Billions of minds processing information, with space expanding. Why not think anything can happen? We don't know. The universe is too big for us to make definite assumptions about an afterlife. What you have is now. It's all the life you can make sure of.
All in all, I wouldn't say nothing happens, and I wouldn't say something must happen. I'm not ambiguous, and I'm not indecisive on this subject. I'm just aware what is.
That sums up my thought in short.

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Debaser Offline
Tabula Rasa
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Louise

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 25th 2013, 09:49 PM

So energy cannot be destroyed only transferred. So when we die, if we are cremated, that energy fuels a fire, turns into ash. If we are buried (as i'd preferred to be) that energy turns into nutrients for the soil and so on and so forth. A reincarnation of sorts, just not the kind of 'now i'm a beetle with no recollection of my previous life'.
I do believe in spiritual energy too, a dead body is lighter than an alive one and i believe that is the measure of a 'soul' of sorts. Where that goes, i could not tell you.

Send a message via MSN to Debaser Send a message via Skype™ to Debaser 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
AgeOfEden Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 25th 2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
It's nice to see an atheist say for me I believe...rather than it is like this.

For me I believe this is only a school, earth that is...that when we die we go home to our source. There are many many near death experience accounts that show this...and if you really study them there's no scientific study that can explain them...though they try it falls short...

but hey if we die and that's it well then what a beautiful dream we had for awhile

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Forever we'll just lay here
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Vint Fall

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 26th 2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
I do believe in spiritual energy too, a dead body is lighter than an alive one and i believe that is the measure of a 'soul' of sorts.
I thought someone would mention this eventually. Why not provide evidence for such belief? As far as I know, this "weight of the soul" is a myth from an experiment gone wrong. In that case, it's strange to think something immaterial as this weights at all. Quite radical, don't you think?

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

September 26th 2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esc-tactic seat View Post
I thought someone would mention this eventually. Why not provide evidence for such belief? As far as I know, this "weight of the soul" is a myth from an experiment gone wrong. In that case, it's strange to think something immaterial as this weights at all. Quite radical, don't you think?
Yes this is a myth. the myth is that is 21grams, and it was tested, thats how the myth got started. however his findings are flawed. http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgeOfEden View Post
It's nice to see an atheist say for me I believe...rather than it is like this.

thank you, as an atheist i cant not say i know something we have no facts to make that up. So I believe that is what happens. Same with god, Do I believe that there is a god? NO WAY, do i know if there is a god, nope, no one does. I found very few true atheist that will say they know that there isnt a god

Last edited by Lizzie; September 26th 2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts

(#18 (permalink)) Old
♔ Queen of Ambivalence ♔
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 27th 2013, 01:04 AM

Random thought but why has no one with beliefs in heaven or some sort of afterlife commented? I would be most interested in how they picture the afterlife. As for me, I feel like everything would just go black and that would be it. No sensation, no thoughts, just vast nothingness.

♥ PM me anytime, I'm here for you ♥

Out of the ashes I'm burning like a fire. You can save your apologies, you're nothing but a liar. I've got shame, I've got scars that I will never show. I'm a survivor in more ways than you know. 'Cause all the pain and the truth, I wear like a battle wound. So ashamed, so confused, I was broken and bruised. Now I'm a warrior.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - September 27th 2013, 02:19 AM

yes i also would like to some heaven ideas
How about this idea, at the time of death, as your brain dies, have a really short dream but in the the dream it last forever (feels like), and its different for every one. Like one day i dreamed something and in the dream it felt like 2 weeks but in life i was only sleepy for like 2 hours. I know this is a crazy idea but just a weird thought i had.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
ag36 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Allie

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - October 9th 2013, 06:35 PM

I believe if you excepted Jesus as your savior you go to heaven.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Crystealsheart Offline
Crystal Cole
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Crystal Cole

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - October 13th 2013, 05:53 PM

This is a hard question... I think there's many things that happen. You can go to heaven or get reborn again and live a better life. It's all up to god.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
ShiiiT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - October 13th 2013, 10:24 PM

Experiencing any conscious event is only possible through a functioning brain and nervous system. If the body is deceased (and disposed of in whatever manner), the nervous system will also cease to function. The wording of the OP's question is confusing me as she asked about life after death, despite admitting the body dies and we would experience a sensation then nothing. The only way I can see the question being answered is by examining Descartes' mind-body paradox and using the assumption that the two are not dependent on one another.

If the OP wasn't hinting toward this, then please correct me.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - October 13th 2013, 10:38 PM

Well, I believe that when you die you either go to Heaven or Hell. Heaven if you have your faith in God and believe in Him as your Lord and Savior (to put it really basically) and Hell if you don't.

It's not quite a "believe in God and you'll go to Heaven" sort of thing. I mean, even the devil believes in God, and I know he isn't gonna end up there.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
AgeOfEden Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - October 19th 2013, 02:42 AM

All you need to do is study near death experiences for your answers. The skeptics and atheists swarm to the new studies of "near death experience explained" articles saying "oh that's been debunked without actually looking into it themselves.

If you actually study the near death experiences you'll see hallucinations or dreams doesn't come close to an explanation.

If the experiences were random, sure I'd say yeah probably some hallucination from a dying brain or whatever..but they aren't at all random. Most all have the same themes..that are just personal to each person.

If 90% of them meet deceased relatives and they all tell them it's not their time or they have some mission in life to complete...how can that be a hallucination? That would mean each person has this switch in his/her brain that when he/she dies...random dead ancestors magically appear and tell them it's not their time, or that they have to go back? I'm surprised skeptics don't even look at that fact...

To me you look at that and say it's common sense that there's more to it than hallucinations.

Just watch these near death experience stories here: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDEaccounts/videos

After your done come back and explain how it's a hallucination.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - October 19th 2013, 05:52 AM

a lot of times, most of times hallucination are based on things we have heard about it. Such as if we hallucination about an alien its the gray big eyes ones that we all have seen, and we all have heard those stories of loved ones, so its likely we would see it.

do those love ones wear clothes? are they in new clothes or in the same ones from their time? If they have something like cancer do the look like how they did near the end or do they get there looks and maybe youth back

(#26 (permalink)) Old
AgeOfEden Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - October 19th 2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
a lot of times, most of times hallucination are based on things we have heard about it. Such as if we hallucination about an alien its the gray big eyes ones that we all have seen, and we all have heard those stories of loved ones, so its likely we would see it.

do those love ones wear clothes? are they in new clothes or in the same ones from their time? If they have something like cancer do the look like how they did near the end or do they get there looks and maybe youth back
Do some research on near death experiences and you can see for yourself.

Most skeptics aren't interested in actually researching it because they just dismiss anything that's not scientifically proven.

That's okay though I'm not here to convince anyone just providing the study material.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - October 20th 2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgeOfEden View Post
Do some research on near death experiences and you can see for yourself.

Most skeptics aren't interested in actually researching it because they just dismiss anything that's not scientifically proven.

That's okay though I'm not here to convince anyone just providing the study material.
If you're so eager to have us do "research", why don't you provide some links which you find contain reliable evidence?
Such a course of action is particularly preferable, as you're making the affirmative claim, after all.

One million miles away...

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - October 20th 2013, 03:37 PM

I'd like to think that when you die, you're reborn as someone else and live another life unaware of the life you previously lived apart from the odd bit of deja-vu but the reality probably is that nothing happens, you die and it's all over.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Saoirse Offline
Blind Saint
Average Joe

Name: Connor

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - October 21st 2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeleton View Post
I'd like to think that when you die, you're reborn as someone else and live another life unaware of the life you previously lived apart from the odd bit of deja-vu but the reality probably is that nothing happens, you die and it's all over.
That is called Nirvana (not the band xD)

I believe in an afterlife in Heaven (and unfortunately, Hell) and I personally believe that there could be a possible chance in Heaven where you can choose to live in eternity or have the chance to be reincarnated and reborn as a new person (starting out in Heaven to make this choice however).

Cura Personalis

Social Networking Team since September 2013 | Articles Team since February 2014
Visually Impaired/Blind Specialist
Assistive Technology Helper
General Technology Helper
  Send a message via Skype™ to Saoirse 
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Peanut~ Offline
nanos gigantium humeris inside
Not a n00b

Name: What's in a name?
Gender: Addams (think Addams family - Addams Family Values pt2)

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - October 23rd 2013, 06:53 PM

The body will return to the earth, just like any other dead animal/plant, decompose etc, but that is just a biology lesson .

As far as your spirit/soul, that will return to God/heaven and will go into an afterlife. I personally believe that is a separate world (the world to come aka heaven and hell), however, I know some believe that it is just a new body here (aka reincarnation).

I like to help, and give advice, but I can be brutally honest. Feel free to PM me if you want, for any reason. I have yet to find a topic that I will not talk about, regardless of how much, or little I know about the topic.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic mind...
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Pathetic person

Re: What do you think happens to you when you die - October 23rd 2013, 10:33 PM

There are way too many theories attached to the concept of death, such as yours where you're dead and you're dead, that's it.

Truth is, we don't really know what happens after all.
If something were to happen which I believe will happen. I would believe we'll be attach to another body, say like billions of tiny souls are experiencing what my mind and body is experiencing just as yours hold a billion souls attached that view through your eyes and you're one of them. When you die, you simply find another host.

I do not want to remain who I am after I die according to some of your beliefs, it's just too self-centred. I die, and the person I was is gone and I simply become a new form may it be animal, a germ or human again.

Again what I believe is a theory and I've been known to switch beliefs so there's honestly no relying on that.

Closed Thread