TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

View Poll Results: Do you believe in faith healing?
Yes, it can heal the sick. 1 4.35%
No, it's a scam. 14 60.87%
Other. (Please explain) 8 34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Faith Healing - September 25th 2013, 07:03 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure how many of you have heard of Derren Brown, but I recently watched a show where he explored the world of "Faith Healing" and explained how easily people can be scammed.

What are your opinions on it? Do you think it does more harm than good? Does it actually do a good thing even if people aren't healed? Or do you think these people do have the power to heal?

One of the reasons for my opinion I want to share could be triggering or distressing so click below to see it.
Spoiler:
One of the stories told in this documentary that really made my mind up was about a 13 year old girl who had MS. Her mother paid a faith healer $1000 to heal her daughter. So he showed up and did his thing and left. The little girl didn't improve at all, and the healer claimed she obviously had hidden sin so couldn't be healed because she didn't have enough faith. The little girl later died horrifically trying to burn the evil out of herself. Her mother was left $1000 out of pocket and having to bury her child because of one man.

I've seen footage of these so called "Revivals" and the fact that they always seem to involve a speech on the correct way to make "donations" via check and credit card really bothered me. If this was real, why do they have the right to charge for divine healing? Would any God make people pay money to be healed? Personally I think the whole thing is disgusting (those doing it and taking advantage of faith, not those who fall into the trap) but I'd like to hear your opinions too. What do you think?

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: Faith Healing - September 25th 2013, 07:16 PM

I think its good but only when people aren't scamming people for money and making them do horrific things like what happened to the 13 year old girl you mentioned. I don't personally believe that people can be "healed" or "cured" but that's just my opinion.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Faith Healing - September 25th 2013, 07:58 PM

I think faith healing can be helpful along side modern medicine. There is research that shows if people have faith (any kind of faith) that things will be better and work out in the end, they will have a much greater chance of recovery than those that give up home. So in that sense, praying and being hopeful can be beneficial in a mental sense.

I do not recommend going against medical advice and using faith healing alone. I also don’t recommend that you bring someone in that you have never met before to “heal” you. Your life long pastor who will lift your spirits at your bedside, yes, some guy who claims to cure cancer with his hands and wants money in return… probably not.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Faith Healing - September 25th 2013, 08:09 PM

Faith-healing without modern medicine is seriously a public health and bioethical problem. People will choose not to get their child treatment for an illness saying "God will heal them" and doctors are stuck in this terrible position of trying to help without harm, without getting into the autonomy of the parents. It's so stressful.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Debaser Offline
Tabula Rasa
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Louise

Re: Faith Healing - September 25th 2013, 10:06 PM

I think Religion as a whole is an incredibly therapeutic tool during times of hardship and illness. And i do believe there can be a sort of 'group hysteria' that can cause an individual to act as if possessed by the devil and there is a cathartic release rather than a divine 'healing' that looks as though they have been cleansed of their sin/illness.
But i think faith healing for money is un-christian to start with and genuine illnesses should be diagnosed and treated by a medical professional.

However i do believe in the power of the mind and the therapeutic value or alternative medicine, such as Reiki but always as an additional remedy rather than a stand-alone 'cure'.

Send a message via MSN to Debaser Send a message via Skype™ to Debaser 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Faith Healing - September 27th 2013, 08:48 AM

Do I think that faith can heal? Yes.

Do I think that most of the "faith healing" you see on TV is staged and a scam? Resounding yes.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Faith Healing - September 27th 2013, 03:25 PM

I love Derren Brown and I have watched "Miracles for Sale" and I found it disgusting how these "faith healers" are scamming the vulnerable. I find it worrying how some people rely on their faith healers more than doctors and medicine.

I suppose some people could benefit from the placebo effect by some degree but I still don't like it one bit.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
FixYou♥ Offline
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Re: Faith Healing - September 27th 2013, 06:01 PM

I think that the way its put in what you said up there, it sounds more like exorcism than anything else. I think that having Faith and believing, praying or whatever your faith might do, can help heal you of your sins, but probably more in an emotional or mental healing versus a physical? Like, medication. That's physical healing. And when faith does that, its called a miracle, but not as many people believe in that and that makes things a little more complicated and rare. But I think this is more about sin healing? That's what, in my religion anyway, reconciliation is for. Priests can do that, but I know someone that was rejected by a priest.... soooooo....

....I guess I'm not sure. I don't think it can heal you just like that, and I don't think just any person can heal you in that way. Maybe not even priests, they aren't a god or God or anything like that? But I think having a faith is beneficial, and can keep you in a state of hope and comfort.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Faith Healing - September 28th 2013, 01:53 PM

I think it can be therapeutic because I think that giving up hope can be seriously detrimental if you are super sick.

BUT I don't think that divine healing can replace actual medicine--if it could they wouldn't have needed to development medical treatment, we'd just go to to some nice religious person and, bam, we'd be better... If we could have fixed health issues by consulting a divine healing person then disease wouldn't be rampant and medical treatment wouldn't have greatly improved health issues because we wouldn't have needed it to begin with because divine healing would have already fixed the problem.

I also sort of feel like these people will just scam the sick and scared people. Like they'll be like "oh, give me this money and I'll make you better with my godly powers" (or the power that God allows them or God uses or what ever), and then they believe it helped them... Well, maybe on some level it did help them, but I bet chemotherapy was the real tipper of the scale. Again, I don't want to belittle the potential for it to be an extremely therapeutic thing for some people, buuuut I do think that it'd be so easy to manipulate a scared, devout, sick people that God was the one that will "really' be healing them...

I'm really really sorry if that sounds harsh, this isn't a problem with religion AT ALL, it's just a problem with people who I view as being spammy :s

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Faith Healing - September 29th 2013, 02:55 PM

There is perhaps a placebo effect where someone might be more inclined to put effort into pulling through if they believe it's "God's wish," but it is of course a scam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Minchin - Thank You God (Copyright Tim Minchin)
what are the odds
That of history's endless parade of gods
That the God you just happened to be taught to believe in
Is the actual one and he digs on healing,
But not the AIDS-ridden African nations
Nor the victims of the plague, nor the flood-addled Asians
I couldn't care less if you want to pray for someone. It won't work under any circumstances, but it doesn't hurt more than wasting time.
If at any point, money (or other things) is taken, or proper scientific cures are withheld, it's causing a problem and that's unacceptable.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#11 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: Faith Healing - September 30th 2013, 01:53 AM

There is no evidence to show that intercessory prayer is helpful for healing disease. People that opt for faith-healing instead of medicine for healing children should be sent to jail.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Butters Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Faith Healing - September 30th 2013, 02:12 PM

I don't believe in faith healing as such, but some of the pagan medicines I do.
I would have died at 11 months from meninjitus had I not had been given rescue remedy, as admitted by the doctors, however there is not enough research or evidence in them to prove that.

But it also could be because of my name which I'm unable to share but it essentially means healer.

In regards to just preying to heal, that I do not believe works, in conjunction with medical treatments, I believe it can bring peace and calm to the person and families dealing with an issue, which may reduce stress induced continued symptoms, thus helping the person get better.

My spelling is terrible, so I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes in my posts

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Faith Healing - October 1st 2013, 12:29 AM

Faith healing that promises to cure you is BS in my book. There is something that nurses used to practice and I think it was called healing touch or something where they "mess" with your energies.

However, one benefit of healers is that they tend to spend more time with people than the average medical practitioner. People want to feel valued and listened to sometimes.

Closed Thread