TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

View Poll Results: how would you react to thought of "the [insert holy book of choice here] is just the greatest w
I guess it could be true. 1 20.00%
It is true. 1 20.00%
I guess it could be true but I don't believe it is. 1 20.00%
It is not true. 3 60.00%
Other. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AoiYami Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Gender: Female? Don't care? (can tomboy count?) masculine presenting agender.

How would you respond... - November 26th 2013, 04:32 AM

I'm just curious how religious people would respond to a particular thought I have. I've always had the thought that maybe just maybe the bible (or any other holy book, I just grew up with the bible as the one I was taught to believe) is actually just the greatest work of fiction ever. I've only spoken that thought to a few people I know wont react to it but I've always wondered how other would respond. Feel free to respond even if your not religious, I'm just curious as to how people will react. If you are willing to you can even add in why you respond the way you do to it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic mind...
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Pathetic person

Re: How would you respond... - November 26th 2013, 01:28 PM

I would imagine they would do everything in their power to dismiss that, religious people always act their ideas of life based on fiction anyways which isn't healthy... my opinion.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pastor Glenn Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Pastor Glenn

Re: How would you respond... - November 26th 2013, 01:46 PM

Hi, the Bible is God's Word written for you. You can depend on it, you can trust your life, your hope for eternity on it. The enemy would like you to question the validity of scripture. As you saturate yourself in the Bible, its truths will penetrate your soul and it will start to define who you are.

Blessings,
Pastor Glenn

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: How would you respond... - November 26th 2013, 06:26 PM

As a non-religious person, I would say that all Holy Books are definitely fictional...although, actually, pretty crappy fiction. The Holy Book I'm most familiar with is the Bible, so I'll use that as an example: there are so many contradictions! Some religious people will claim that I'm interpreting it wrong, but there are quite frankly so many that I think it would be ridiculous to expect that one should overlook all of the contradictions.
The reason that these books are popular is because they support current religions. They promise comfort and that's something a lot of people want.
But, hell, they're badly written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Glenn View Post
Hi, the Bible is God's Word written for you. You can depend on it, you can trust your life, your hope for eternity on it. The enemy would like you to question the validity of scripture. As you saturate yourself in the Bible, its truths will penetrate your soul and it will start to define who you are.

Blessings,
Pastor Glenn
With respect, this is not really a great attitude in my opinion. I object strongly to the idea that anyone should allow a book, however significant some claim it to be, to be worthy of their trust for life, nor do I think anyone should let solely a book define who they are.
Oh, and especially not the Bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis 3:16
Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Corinthians 14:34-36
Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosea 13:16
Their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus 2:12
And he looked this way and that way, and when he saw that there was no man, he slew the Egyptian, and hid him in the sand.
[to name a very few examples of the immoral, bad things in the Bible.]

It also seems mighty convenient to me that this book (over, say, the Qu'ran) might happen to be the one book of truth, the one book which reveals all of life's mysteries. Why shouldn't I take Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to be proof of House Elves if you take the Bible to be proof of God?
Also, if the 'enemy' (whoever that is...my personal philosophy is that categorising some people as 'bad' or 'enemies' is close-minded and unforgiving) would like me to question the Bible, then regardless why is that a bad thing? Maybe the 'enemy' is right. Maybe it would be helpful to try and see things from the 'enemy''s standpoint, too. My main objection, though, is that it's an excuse not to think. In my opinion, you should never, ever stop thinking with an open mind. Don't just accept the Bible (or anything else), question it and find what you logically see to be the best conclusion - and before anyone mentions 'faith' have a quotation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Minchin
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
Unfair? I think not.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
AoiYami Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Gender: Female? Don't care? (can tomboy count?) masculine presenting agender.

Re: How would you respond... - November 26th 2013, 06:41 PM

Thank you Rachael98 for your logical statements and getting to replying to the pastor before me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Glenn View Post

Blessings,
Pastor Glenn
How am I to not question the bible if, even as a child who would willingly believe that what happened in the bible really happened, I easily found myself wondering. If it is that easy for an innocent child to be turned then there really isn't anything to stay for. Making sure that no one ever thinks about anything, that everyone stays just as stupid as they are right now, to me is the most pathetic thing ever and just one reason why I particularly dislike any religion that is that strict. I personally did start off believing in the bible but I at a very young age (although old enough to have enough experience with the bible) found myself doubting the bible, and the first time I ever thought it was when I was in church. If it the enemy that wants me to doubt the bible and the church is gods house then why would I ever have that thought in church?

Closed Thread