TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

some spiritual insight of mine - December 11th 2013, 03:26 AM

God is love.
At my college, people were holding up a sign asking us if others thought God was love. They had another sign with the options "Yes, no, and maybe" to answer. I immediately put yes. They asked me why. I said if God weren't love we wouldn't worship Him. I hate when people hold up signs saying "God hates gays" not only is that not true but more importantly, why the heck would you ever worship a God that believes in hate? Who would do that?
Yes, God is love. If He's not than I'm out. If He were patience but not love than I would worship my pillowcase instead because God would be useless. I can get patience from my next door neighbors. God is kindness but not love. I DON'T THINK SO! God is love.
Also, this explains why the scriptures tell us God is someone we cannot fully understand. If He is love then as humans, we can only understand so many different aspects of love because there's so many different types of love out there. We are obviously not able to understand everything we get from God.

Happy holidays everyone!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: some spiritual insight of mine - December 11th 2013, 03:39 AM

Thank you for this "insight". Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. It's a spiritual relationship that I plainly do not understand. For the record, if God is love, or if God does love and experiences no other emotions, it wouldn't make me more inclined to believe in His existence.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: some spiritual insight of mine - December 11th 2013, 04:05 AM

Are you talking about the Christian god? There are passages in the "scriptures" which specifically say god hates people. And not just "groups" of people, but specific people. For example, Esau.

Malachi 1
1 This is a divine revelation. The Lord spoke his word to Israel through Malachi.

2 “I loved you,” says the Lord.

“But you ask, ‘How did you love us?’

“Wasn’t Esau Jacob’s brother?” declares the Lord. “I loved Jacob, 3 but Esau I hated. I turned his mountains into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the jackals in the desert.

4 “The descendants of Esau may say, ‘We have been beaten down, but we will rebuild the ruins.’

“Yet, this is what the Lord of Armies says: They may rebuild, but I will tear it down. They will be called ‘the Wicked Land’ and ‘the people with whom the Lord is always angry.’ 5 You will see these things with your own eyes and say, ‘Even outside the borders of Israel the Lord is great.’

God, if he exists, and is the god of the bible, certainly hates people. How else could he invent the world, and not only the world, but hell? I would, however, say that if this god exists, that his hatred is just and righteous, since he is also that -- or at least if I were religious, I'd argue that. However, to deny that god hates people is simply wishful thinking. Read the Old Testament. Read Revelation. Read any prophecy. Hell, read what Jesus told people, and don't read with eyes that come from the perspective that god only loves people. Actually read it objectively. Jesus alone said some pretty hateful things.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Re: some spiritual insight of mine - December 11th 2013, 07:13 AM

I mostly agree with the OP, however, the way you make it seem is as though God has no other emotions. He can feel the emotions we feel, as we are made in His image, however He does not hate people, He can hate what they do (sin).

He created hell as an option for those who choose not to follow Him. He forces no one there. Everyone who enters hell does so willingly. God's all about free will.

And as for the comment of Jesus saying 'hateful things', that often was in parables, or to make people think, or as an illustration for something.

Just adding in my two-cents worth

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: some spiritual insight of mine - December 11th 2013, 02:39 PM

Going off of the hell comment above...this is one of the main contradictions about Christianity that lead me away from the faith.

If the Christian God is love why did he create the devil? He created Lucifer well knowing that he would betray him (because god is omnipotent and all knowing). If God is truly purely good and love… why would he put something on earth that is truly purely evil?

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: some spiritual insight of mine - December 11th 2013, 04:29 PM

A lot of responses are making a rather large oversight in the assumption that God must exist in the first place.

The God of the Bible, as Mike says, is certainly hateful.
I'd point out that any loving God has a rather warped idea of love, though. We might all have reasonably decent lives, but if we look to the majority of Africa, for iinstance...

Any omnibenevolent God is clearly impotent and/or not all-knowing.
Any omniscient God is clearly impotent and/or unloving.
Any omnipotent God is clearly not all knowing and/or involving.

Doesn't really fit. But hey, if you live well and respect others because of it, I don't want to meddle too much.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: some spiritual insight of mine - December 11th 2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael98 View Post
Any omnibenevolent God is clearly impotent and/or not all-knowing.
Any omniscient God is clearly impotent and/or unloving.
Any omnipotent God is clearly not all knowing and/or involving.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
-Epicurus

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: some spiritual insight of mine - December 11th 2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Mike and Men View Post
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
-Epicurus
Quite. Of course, there's still the option that there is no God...at all. Named or otherwise. I like that one.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#9 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

Re: some spiritual insight of mine - December 18th 2013, 07:54 PM

I was talking about the Christian God and I was thinking He is love becuase if He weren't I wouldn't worship Him. Love is a force. I was not saying God does not have the capacity to feel our feelings because He does. I was saying He doesn't hate because if He did than He would not be the God I want to worship. I do believe that love comes with discipline so if someone is sent to hell it is because they chose to or becuase they are being punished which makes sense because punishment comes with love. Why did God make Satan? He made Satan who was not pure evil but became pure evil since he chose not to follow God and instead create his own world separate from God and attempted to be better than God. God may very well have wanted us to know that being separated from His love and care by your own choice is hell or creates a hell of your own. Also, Satan has already lost so we don't really need to worry about Satan or his reign over others. God is da bomb. However, since Satan founded hell he is the only being that will never have any chance to redeem himself. Even demons can inherit the grace from Christ's sacrifice for us. Satan, as the FOUNDER of hell is screwed.

Last edited by hannahgreenwood; December 19th 2013 at 02:47 AM.

Closed Thread