TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
YoUcAnCaLlMeInSaNe's Avatar
 
Name: Quinn
Age: 18
Gender: Male (Trans)
Location: North Carolina

Posts: 43
Join Date: October 11th 2013

Question Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 22nd 2013, 07:36 AM

So I've posted here like 4 times and if you go here often, you're probably tired of me, especially if you've helped me because you've answered a lot of my questions already. But I want to know, if something is not in the 10 commandments, is it a sin?

Here's why I'm asking this: God gave us the 10 commandments for us to live by and if we are supposed to live by any other rules, I think that they should be in the 10 commandments, right?

Like some I didn't even realize were sins till this year like getting tattoos/piercings, commiting suicide, self harm, and being homosexual. Personally, I don't feel that these are sins because I see nothing wrong with them and they aren't in the ten commandments abd are touched on very lightly (I think?)

I do want to get tattoos (one by my eye like Mitch Lucker, one on my neck like Frank Iero, one on my arm that says "Never let them take you alive. Look alive sunshine. Killjoys never die", one one my wrist that says "music saved me", one on my calf that's the Avenged Sevenfold deathbat, and one on my arm that says "Jesus loves us" among others.) And piercings (a lip ring and an eyebrow piercing)

What do you think?
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Most Likely's Avatar
 
Name: -
Gender: -
Location: -

Posts: 557
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: September 17th 2013

Re: Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 22nd 2013, 08:59 AM

I think that everything that could be related to the 10 commandments is considered a sin, but I might be mistaken. You would have to ask a priest for the most accurate information.

They are in the Bible I think, described what God forbids for humans to do...


Who dares - wins.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Most Likely 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough
*********
 
Adam the Fish's Avatar
 
Name: Adam
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Location: Bristol

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: August 24th 2012

Re: Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 22nd 2013, 01:59 PM

The Decalogue (Ten Commandments) are supposedly God's laws, but there are whole books of other laws in the Bible as well. Try Leviticus if you want an example.
A lot of these are interpreted differently by different Christians, though - for instance you probably wouldn't stone (ie. kill) your child for disobedience as in Deuteronomy any more. Different people argue different things.

Returning to the Commandments, though, it's worth noting how little moral guidance they give.
Consider:
I am the LORD thy God
This doesn't really tell us much except what we'd already know if following the Commandments...
Thou shalt have no other gods
Again, rather obvious.
No graven images or likenesses
A reputation of the previous? And this still has very little practical guidance, surely?
Not take the LORD's name in vain
Because that never happens. What does it matter anyway, though? Isn't 'don't rape people' more valuable?
Remember the sabbath day
Again, no-one bothers with this any longer, and the apocalypse still doesn't appear forthcoming. Maybe 'Respect other people' would be a better replacement?
Honour thy father and thy mother
Makes sense, although still not the most important of rules to my mind.
Thou shalt not kill
Finally! A moral rule. We already knew that because of evolutionary intelligence, but nevermind. It's a start. Maybe it should day 'thou shalt not kill except [insert list of places where the Bible condones killing]' though.
Thou shalt not commit adultery
Jesus went on to say that lust was adultery. Lust is natural. Who isn't, therefore, going to break this?
Thou shalt not steal
Thou shalt not bear false witness
Thou shalt not covet
The actual words said something about not coveting your neighbour's wife. Frankly, I don't think that women should be objectified or portrayed as being commodities like this, but maybe some people like degrading sexism...

Things like not killing are good, but we didn't need religion or God to tell us that. It makes far more sense if it's something instinctive not to kill our own race. Survival tactics at their most basic, really. So if you don't think it's wrong to get a tattoo, then get a tattoo. Think for yourself, rather than letting laws from several millennia ago determine whether you fulfil your wishes or not.


Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
vrgtfvgt4vg's Avatar
 

Posts: 243
Join Date: May 26th 2011

Re: Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 22nd 2013, 05:55 PM

You do know there are hundreds and hundreds of biblical laws, right?

http://www.jewfaq.org/m/613.htm
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DanTheMan :P Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
DanTheMan :P's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Location: Essex -.-, UK

Posts: 103
Blog Entries: 38
Join Date: October 14th 2013

Re: Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 22nd 2013, 08:55 PM

I believe the 10 commandments are a guideline on how to live life, but biblical sins are not limited to them
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ThisWillDestroyYou's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 1,050
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 23rd 2013, 05:04 PM

The Commandments were a foreshadowing of Christ, if you're Christian. Christ came to fulfill the requirements of the law, so that those who believe in him are made blameless in the sight of god and cease to sin. In the new testament, however, the bible says that whatever does not come from faith is sin. Therefore, to me, I would take this to mean if your conscience bothers you, it is a sin. Don't base sin on the ten commandments if you're christian.


"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Lelola's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 1,077
Join Date: June 16th 2013

Re: Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 24th 2013, 07:59 AM

Personally? There are a ton of rules in the book that people never know. I think it is ridiculous how people pick and choose what laws to follow or they are just ignorant of what the Bible says not to do.

Also, I would rethink the location of some of the tattoos. If there is a possibility of some employers seeing the tattoos, they may think twice about hiring you or require you to wear long sleeves and long pants all the time. Especially the face and the neck tattoo. My employer will hire you with the arms and legs if you hide them during the interview and wear long sleeves/pants after you're hired, but they will not hire you with the eye and neck tattoo if they see it. I only chose piercings I could easily hide like my industrial. Any tattoo I get will be easily hidden under scrubs on my shoulder and I won't have to worry if I wear a dress that has sleeves or a lab coat.

While it's your right to express yourself how you wish, it is the employer's right not to hire you based on your choices to express yourself.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
hannahgreenwood's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female

Posts: 185
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: December 21st 2010

Re: Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 24th 2013, 10:54 PM

Is it a sin if its not in the 10 commandments?
Umm... YES! ABSOLUTELY!
Child abuse is a sin. Jesus says "For a parent to teach their child to sin it would be better for them to have been cast to the bottom of the sea"
Is a tattoo a sin?
I don't fucking think so. Jesus said when Matthew asked Him what's the most important commandment we should follow, "Love God and love others."
You just got a tatoo saying "Jesus love us" in what fucking world are you going to be condemned for that?
Also, you want to know who didn't follow the 10 commandments but is the equivalent to God? JESUS!
That commandment don't work on the Sabbath day. Keep it holy.
Yeah someone worked on the Sabbath day in the old testament and was killed instantly. Jesus came around and worked on the Sabbath day curing the sick and feeding the poor and the Gentiles and Pharisees sat there and commanded that He stop. Did He? No. He said forget you guys I'm going to use this Sunday to save everyone.
But seriously, the take-away from Jesus, the ONLY THING WE SHOULD KNOW IF THERE'S ANYTHING WE LEARN FROM JESUS, is that we should Love God and love others.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough
*********
 
Adam the Fish's Avatar
 
Name: Adam
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Location: Bristol

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: August 24th 2012

Re: Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 24th 2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahgreenwood View Post
Is it a sin if its not in the 10 commandments?
Umm... YES! ABSOLUTELY!
Is a tattoo a sin?
I don't fucking think so. Jesus said when Matthew asked Him what's the most important commandment we should follow, "Love God and love others."
You just got a tatoo saying "Jesus love us" in what fucking world are you going to be condemned for that?
Whilst I agree that having tattoos is fine, obviously, I am interested to ask at what point you decide a biblical rule is or isn't worth following.
Quote:
"'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.
The Bible specifically forbids incisions into oneself (ie., tattoos) - if you're going to disregard the Old Testament, surely you must disregard all of it, thus rendering many of the New Testament's links irrelevant.


Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
hannahgreenwood's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female

Posts: 185
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: December 21st 2010

Re: Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 24th 2013, 11:37 PM

May I please have the exact Bible chapter and verse that you found that quote in?
Also, I am saying that these sins professed in the Old testament were broken by Jesus Himself so clearly, it really comes down to our hearts.
And I should also let you know that hell is a state of mind. There is a hell on Earth and a heaven on Earth. I know someone personally who is going to hell. My mother was jealous of me when I was little and has been my entire life. She tortured me. She tried to kill me when I was 1, 5, and 9. She starved me and would tell me do something only to have my sister beat me up and while I am being beaten up I would scream and shout for my mother to help me and keep chanting "you told me to do this mother, you told me to do this" because she would be sitting there watching this whole thing happen and my mother would do nothing. She would watch. I have repressed memories from what she did to me. When I finally forgave her so I could stop being hurt by her and I could stop trying to save her, she was confirming my repressed memories for a while AS THE LOWLY FIGURE SHE WAS IN MY LIFE. Then, three months in, she told me I was lying. She told me that she had never done those things to me and her words were, "I was always a perfect mother to you Hannah." That's when I became unbelievably depressed. I realized there was nothing left for her. She had just chosen hell. She is a perfect example of someone who is incapable of love. There was a young girl who was sold into a brothel and raped for 7 years every day by the same client. When they asked him why he did it he said it was because he was in love with her. I am telling you, those people who do not open their hearts to anything, EVER. They are going to hell. They are walking demons. Also, they are living proof that there are worse things in life than death: becoming a bully is one of them. -And I say bully because for example, we would all rather die than become Adolf Hiter- I know I would rather die than become my mother.
Also, they are great examples of the FACT that hell is a choice.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 27th 2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahgreenwood View Post
May I please have the exact Bible chapter and verse that you found that quote in?
Leviticus 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahgreenwood View Post
Also, I am saying that these sins professed in the Old testament were broken by Jesus Himself so clearly, it really comes down to our hearts.
That's not what the bible says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahgreenwood View Post
And I should also let you know that hell is a state of mind. There is a hell on Earth and a heaven on Earth.
If that's all that hell is JUST a state of mind, why does it bear any real significance? Why should I care about "going to hell" because I don't follow the "10 commandments"?
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough
*********
 
Adam the Fish's Avatar
 
Name: Adam
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Location: Bristol

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: August 24th 2012

Re: Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 27th 2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahgreenwood View Post
And I should also let you know that hell is a state of mind. There is a hell on Earth and a heaven on Earth. I know someone personally who is going to hell. My mother was jealous of me when I was little and has been my entire life. She tortured me. She tried to kill me when I was 1, 5, and 9. She starved me and would tell me do something only to have my sister beat me up and while I am being beaten up I would scream and shout for my mother to help me and keep chanting "you told me to do this mother, you told me to do this" because she would be sitting there watching this whole thing happen and my mother would do nothing. She would watch. I have repressed memories from what she did to me. When I finally forgave her so I could stop being hurt by her and I could stop trying to save her, she was confirming my repressed memories for a while AS THE LOWLY FIGURE SHE WAS IN MY LIFE. Then, three months in, she told me I was lying. She told me that she had never done those things to me and her words were, "I was always a perfect mother to you Hannah." That's when I became unbelievably depressed. I realized there was nothing left for her. She had just chosen hell. She is a perfect example of someone who is incapable of love. There was a young girl who was sold into a brothel and raped for 7 years every day by the same client. When they asked him why he did it he said it was because he was in love with her. I am telling you, those people who do not open their hearts to anything, EVER. They are going to hell. They are walking demons. Also, they are living proof that there are worse things in life than death: becoming a bully is one of them. -And I say bully because for example, we would all rather die than become Adolf Hiter- I know I would rather die than become my mother.
Also, they are great examples of the FACT that hell is a choice.
I'm truly sorry that you've had such experiences. Indeed, if anyone had such a tragic past, I'd be upset by it; the inhumanity of humanity can be shocking.

If I look objectively, though, your argument doesn't really make sense. Your belief in something, hope in it, maybe even liberation through belief in it doesn't necessarily make it true. In this case, I'd point out that the wish or belief that someone being tortured eternally giving comfort isn't exactly humane, healthy or, indeed, forgiving.

Hell is a choice. But only if Hell exists. The point is that there's zero evidence of Hell's existence. You can't really make arguments about Hell simply on the assumption that Hell exists.

By the way, though, a more personal philsophy of mine is in giving people chances at humanity. 'Shit happens' - that doesn't make it right, but I don't see that I or anyone else is in any more a position to judge others as 'good' or 'evil'. Some individuals might be incapable of giving other specific individuals extra chances, and again it's not my place (or anyone else's) to judge or criticise them for that. However, I like to give second chances. Everyone is human; everyone is unique; everyone has their faults; everyone has their merits.


Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
hannahgreenwood's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female

Posts: 185
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: December 21st 2010

Re: Is it a sin if it's not in the 10 commandments? - December 28th 2013, 07:36 PM

MindBodySpirit
1) Thank you for gving me the exact Bible verse! That's awesome!
2) You said what I said is not from the Bible. Yes, I know it's not.
3) Hell is a state of mind. Yes. I have seen people choose to be miserable over and over again and separating yourself from the ability to love others is definitely it. That's hell. And it is a choice. So I think what you were asking is what's so scary about it?
Well I don't know if hell is forever so if it is forever than that's probably the scary part. Also, what is the scary part in deciding to become a demon.. becoming a demon.
3) Why should you care about going to hell for not following the 10 commandments?
I don't think you go to hell for not following the 10 commandments. It is not like that. It is not black and white. I am letting you know who actually is in hell and why.

AdamtheFish
1) Thank you for saying I'm sorry to me about my childhood. That means a lot. I would have loved to have a childhood and spending the next 60 years grieving it is quite a hassle.
2) Yes, if hell is a choice it exists and my argument is that it does exist because we all choose it.
3) I totally believe in second chances. I forgave my mother for what she did to me. She is still jealous of me but she can't act on it anymore. That's beautiful for me. Also, hell is forever supposedly, I am still trying to figure that one out but I do know that Christ's sacrifice for us extends out to even demons so that even thay can feel His grace. I started to think about it more and I realized that must have been the ultimate punishment for Satan is to have himself think he can build his own kindgom for people to live in with him only to have all of them saved in the end so that Satan is truly all alone and he feels the stupidity of having left God in pursuit of becoming better than Him. And there's no way God is saving the FOUNDER of hell.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
commandments, sin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2018, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.