TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

When was Jesus born? - December 24th 2013, 03:41 AM

So there's this whole debate with a lot of people that I know about the day Jesus was born. Some say he was born in October, some say in March, and others say Christmas day.

Just curious, does anybody have close estimate?

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: When was Jesus born? - December 24th 2013, 12:35 PM

There's debate over whether Jesus was ever born at all. However, it was not Christmas Day.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: When was Jesus born? - December 24th 2013, 02:43 PM

When Jesus was actually born will probably remain a mystery; however it’s pretty much for sure that he was not born in December.

Some really basic arguments for this include:

We know that shepherds were in the fields watching their flocks at the time of Jesus' birth (Luke 2:7-8). Shepherds were not in the fields during December.

Jesus' parents came to Bethlehem to register in a Roman census (Luke 2:1-4). Such censuses were not taken in winter, when temperatures often dropped below freezing and roads were in poor condition.

There are talks about how lambs (who were accounted at his birth) would not be out in the winter, so on and so forth.

December 25th is just a day that was picked to celebrate his birth (of original unknown date and time). The church picked this day as it fell during the pagan celebration of the winter solstice. Over time, the two celebrations merged into one big Christmas ordeal. Technically evergreen trees and their decorations, mistletoe, wreaths, holly, hanging stockings, Santa and his reindeer, etc have nothing to do with the birth of Christ. All of those traditions have been merged over time from various pagan traditions.

So over all, the whole thing is a big tangled mess of various religious traditions. But pretty much the only thing Christian about December 25th is the celebration of Jesus’s birth. Everything else belongs to different faiths. : )

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DanTheMan :P Offline
Average Joe

Name: Dan

Re: When was Jesus born? - December 24th 2013, 04:26 PM

All I know is it wasn't christmas day; it is celebrated on december 25th to make the transfer from paganistic religions to catholocism easier for the native british.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: When was Jesus born? - December 24th 2013, 09:55 PM

Lizzie, such censuses were never taken. There is no record of any census in that time period as far as I know.
It's more likely that they were probably going away because no-one else believed the 'I'm still a Virgin, God did it!' thing...

I don't know, is the answer. I'm pretty sure he was born. There's objective historical evidence that he was. But the exact time, I don't know. I don't think anyone does.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

Re: When was Jesus born? - December 24th 2013, 10:37 PM

Joseph believed that the Virgin Mary was blessed with the gift of life immediately after an angel showed up at his house and told him that he needed to go back to his wife and believe every word she told him. So yes, somebody did believe Mary was impregnated by God's blessing.
Lizzie, you're totally right. I think the Christmas trees and everything came from Roman or Greek times and then the whole Santa thing was like a pagan religion. Finally, yeah I would definitely agree that it's about a 90% certainty Christ wasn't born on Christmas day. However, when He was born they knew it was Him. There had been prophecy after prophecy about Jesus so He was born the same way a human being is born and He was raised by Mary so He was a boy for some time before He became a full grown man who would save the world and kick total ass.
Yeah, I'm a die hard Christian and I still have no idea when Jesus was born. Let me know when you guys figure it out!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: When was Jesus born? - December 25th 2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
to register in a Roman census
Census-keeping weren't done until later on in history, if not as early as Byzatine. That's why the world population before the middle ages are a rough estimate.

But I would say Jesus was born sometimes in the spring or summer, most likely the spring. But when exactly, we may never know.

As others said, December 25th was picked so it'd coincide with the pagan rituals of the winter solstice.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: When was Jesus born? - December 25th 2013, 02:33 AM

My sister actually randomly said March today, but I don't know if it's true or not, there are loads of theories.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: When was Jesus born? - December 25th 2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam the Fish View Post
Lizzie, such censuses were never taken. There is no record of any census in that time period as far as I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyways and Starlights View Post
Census-keeping weren't done until later on in history, if not as early as Byzatine. That's why the world population before the middle ages are a rough estimate.
This is one of many controversies about the historical accurateness of the Bible. Luke’s account of the story takes place a few years later (during the census) and Matthew’s account takes place a few years before the census. The year of Jesus’s birth is widely disputed. But if you are taking Luke’s account into consideration, the census would provide evidence that Jesus was not born during the month of December. Here is more info on the Roman Census. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_of_Quirinius

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: When was Jesus born? - December 27th 2013, 09:04 PM

There are discrepancies whichever way you look at it. Herod wasn't there, the census still wouldn't have required travel, etc. etc.

Then there's stuff like the fact that virgins can't be pregnant, and 'stables' didn't actually exist, and massive balls of hydrogen which would burn up the planet can't just happen, plus the other quite major discrepancies between the apparently God-inspired, ie. 'perfect', accounts.
Do you see why I have trouble believing it?

I read somewhere the other day that it was probably summer; there's little doubt that the 25th Dec was nothing to do with the actual day.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

Closed Thread