TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Faith, Trust, and Atheist - January 23rd 2014, 04:39 PM

Okay so a group of friends and I got into this huge debate of religion, atheism, and exorcisms. So I'm doing my research and so far I only seem clearly logical in my sense to the information I have found so far. But I'm reaching out to more ideas and putting the science together.. so a little help would be nice?

My one friend Eric is an atheist He doesn't believe in a higher power such as gods or the devil. He also doesn't believe in spirits, ghosts, or any paranormal activity in that sense.

My friend Mitchell isn't a religious type of guy, but he believes there is to be a so called Satan. He said there's actual scientific proof of him existing, like from exorcisms and such. So can anybody show me any documents or reports, videos, anything to show the proof of Satan.. like not just in exorcisms? He also claims there is scientific evidence to enter Hell. Mitchell also claims there is a God too, but we didn't focus on that much.

My friend Andy believes in evolution, but claims atheists are stupid... (or maybe he only claims that because of my friend Eric... that's a different story). So he believes in the scientific theory of evolution because of all the evidence behind it.. but in his sense God created the "Big Bang"

Now me I'm a mixture of all three of them so to say.. leaning more towards Eric. 1) I don't believe in a higher powers, gods, or devils (Satan). 2) I believe poltergeists and demons... just not in the sense that like blessing your house will get rid of them and blah blah blah. Mitchell and I agree poltergeists are just everywhere once someone dies and they never go away. 3) Like Andy, I believe in evolution...

So what I'm looking for here is quite a bit much actually, but its for research purposes.

1) Do you agree with any of our claims (Eric, Mitchell, Andy, or Me)? If not, please share your thoughts on what you believe.

2) Is there actual evidence (not looking for eternal evidence because that's very hard to prove) of a God or Satan even existing? Is there scientific evidence of there being a so called "Hell?" (Not looking for cities named like it. For ex. I'm not looking for places like Hell, Michigan)

3) If you are an atheist, can you still believe in paranormal activity such as the existence of poltergeists? Or is there proof that ghosts and such do exist?

*Not trying to offend any particular person, group, harm any beliefs, speak badly about religion, and so on... So I do apologize in advanced if it comes off that way or seems like I question anybody. I have full respect for people that believe in gods and so on.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Faith, Trust, and Atheist - January 23rd 2014, 05:04 PM

Jesus, if you typed in less colors, it might be easier to quote you, haha. So, instead of quoting you, I'm just going to respond.

First of all, I am a weak agnostic. I used to classify myself as a weak atheist, but I've changed my leanings to a weak agnostic. This simply means, I do not know if there is a god. Typically, I lean with the answer, "No, there is no god," by default. However, I do not know there is a god, and the "weak" part implies that MAYBE there is someone who knows god exists, just not to my knowledge. In other words, my grandparents say they know there is a god. Maybe they, in fact, do know god exists based on personal experiences I have not had. It is not for me to judge whether they know, or don't know. My philosophy is a little bit existential.

Anyways, let me say this. There is a huge problem with atheists. A lot of their philosophy, political leanings, etc. tend to be very narrow-minded. They have a faith in atheism like many Christian's have in Jesus. They are very dogmatic with little evidence to their knowledge. They, in fact, just like religion, I find try to remove free-thinking by suppressing religion. In this case, I find that your first friend seems rather arrogant. However, I don't know how he classifies himself as an atheist, so I won't get into it.

As far as poltergeist go, I believe that something causes the experiences of poltergeist, but they are natural events. That is, they are not something supernatural like a ghost. It is just something that science has not yet explained. I could be wrong, however. I just have lack of experience in this field, so my mind tends to cling to the natural aspect of this.

As for Hell, if Hell is something experienced post-death, then the only people who would know of it's existence would have to experience death, or have a way to go to whatever death is. But, then, in this case, you'd have to just take someone's word for it, which is why I classify as a weak agnostic. It's ignorant, to me, to blindly accept something based on one person's experience.

I do not believe it is irrational to claim that perhaps god caused the big bang, or string theory, or whatever else. Think of it this way, god could be at the end of everything. There's just no way to prove it. So, without that proof, I don't have a reason to believe.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Faith, Trust, and Atheist - January 23rd 2014, 06:06 PM

Sorry for the different colors.. I tried to arrange them with the different claims.

But I have to say you are spot on accurate about Eric being arrogant and how you brought up his technical philosophy about atheism.

Also I do find your thoughts about poltergeists intriguing. I'll most definitely have to look into that more.

So thank you.

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Faith, Trust, and Atheist - January 23rd 2014, 09:26 PM

I always seem to clarify this, but the term 'athiest' means very little. Eric may be an atheist, but not all athiests will by any means agree with any of his views. Athiesm isn't a religion, it has no underlying beliefs. It is simply the disbelief in the idea of a deity.
I'm personally an atheist (Humanist), but my view is open-minded. Show me good evidence, science, and I will consider changing my opinion.

There's no evidence for God, Satan or Hell; I aim to live my life without inventing things to 'make it more exciting' - they tend not to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Minchin
Isn't this enough? Just...this[...]why does it so fail to hold our attention that we have to diminish it with cheap, man-made myths and monsters?

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Faith, Trust, and Atheist - January 23rd 2014, 11:57 PM

I love how much attention Eric is getting... But you both are right about him. So like I said, Eric is probably the reason Andy believes atheists are stupid.

Also on another note, I do like how you stated you're an open minded atheist. Or humanist.

-Goodnight Tonight

Closed Thread