TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Quinn

Converting To Wicca - January 26th 2014, 04:53 AM

I have been doing a lot of thinking. I don't really believe in Christianity anymore. And even if I did, I don't think that I would want to be part if it (no offense to anyone!) Its just that it seems like theres so much hate in the bible. I mean, in the old testament it talks about how you are supposed to stone people if they aren't the same religion and then theres witch hunts and the Christians that tell homosexuals to burn In Hell and the list goes on. I know that the entire religion isnt hateful and stuff and I did not write this to rant so I am going to get off of the subject if Christianity. I feel a connection to Wicca. I've done some research and Wicca is a religion that I truly believe in. I have shared the vast majority of the religion's views before I even knew what Wicca was. I have completely made up my mind and I would like to convert to the Wiccan faith. Before you tell me that Wiccans worship Satin or any shit like that, I would like to make it clear that they dont. Satin is a Christian figure. And as one site put it, Wiccans do not need something to scare them into doing the right thing. Wiccans have completely separate deities than Christians; the Wiccan deities are the god and goddess (I have also seen them referred to as the Lord and Lady). And please do not try to change my mind or make any comments on my age because it is irrelevant and annoying for everyone constantly taking it into account.

I'm asking a few things in this post:

- How can I tell my parents and have them accept it? My mom is Christian and my dad is Muslim. They are divorced and I live with my dad. All my life Id been told that my religious path is my choice. BUT I am not allowed to be Wiccan. That makes no sense whatsoever. My dad claims that Wicca is evil and if you practice it that your family will die and shit like that. Oh, and guess where he got the information? TV. And parents tell us not to believe everything we see on TV. I think that he got Wicca confused with black magick. But Wiccans do not practice Black Magick because of the rule "In it, harm none" and the threefold law. I have tried simple spells and my dad knew about it and was completely fine with it as long as I didn't attempt any of the more complex ones. But seriously doubt that he will be accepting of my decision and knowing him, he'll probably laugh it off and say that im too young and its jyst a phase like he did with my sexuality. Abd I cant explain anything to him cause hes stubborn and know it all. He has fixed views and wont even consider other sides or realuze that there is a possibility that hes wrong. And my mom is another story. She'd flip. Shes already forbid me from becoming Wiccan abd from doing any kind of magick.

-Can you please give me some information on the Book Of Shadows? I know the basics but wiuld like more information and how to write one.

-Links to places that I can do mire reaserch on Wicca and how to convert

-Links to places with Wiccan spells that are very safe, for beginners, and require very few ingredients.

-Links to online shops that sell ingredients for Wiccan spells and supplies and stuff like that within my buget of $24 every 2 weeks

Thank you all

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Converting To Wicca - January 27th 2014, 05:31 PM

Honestly, why do you have to tell them you are interested in Wicca? If it’s just going to cause controversy and you think it’s going to upset them, why tell them? If you are not harming yourself or others, it’s OK to keep some things from your parents. I think you could practice the path without having to let them know. And if in a few years, when you move out and are on your own and you want to share that part of your life with them, you can open up about it. But I think if you tell them now, it’s not going to go well and will only cause tension.

If you are really interested in converting to the faith then I think you should look into doing a Year and a Day. It’s a year long training that prospective Wiccan’s do to prepare themselves to be dedicated to the faith. They study for a year, getting in practice with each Sabbat and Esbat and on the first day of the second year they have a dedication ceremony to dedicate themselves to the faith. The purpose of the Year and a Day is to make sure you fully understand the undertakings of the belief system and everything that goes along with it. If after a year you still want to follow this path then your dedication will be really honest and true.

There are online guides that you can follow. There are books out there like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Wicca-Year-Spi.../dp/0738706213
That can help you alone your path. Or you can do your own study of the faith at your own pace. Anyone of these options are fine. It’s whatever you feel is best.

During your year and a day study is when you will learn things like how to make a book of shadows and practice beginning spells. Following a book like the one above would be really useful for a solitary practitioner like yourself.

More often than not the things you need for spells are very simple and easy to find. Candles can be bought in bulk at craft stores and incense can be found in most grocery stores. Taking these routes will be a lot more cost effective than buying them from an online shop.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Quinn

Re: Converting To Wicca - January 28th 2014, 12:26 AM

Ok, thank you! This was very helpful and I really appreciate it!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Converting To Wicca - January 28th 2014, 01:14 AM

Hey there,

I think you should wait on telling your parents. I know you want to tell them but if it is going to cause them to get upset I think the best thing you can do is practice your religion/learn more about it and then, when you are living on your own tell them. Once you are on your own you won't have to deal with the effects that telling them will have. I know a lot of people who have had a lot of mishaps due to telling their parents about religious views while living under the same roof. If they won't be accepting then there is no harm in keeping it from them for the time being. You aren't doing anything wrong, you know?

I can't help you with the rest because I don't practice wicca so I am not knowledgeable in it.

I hope that this helped a tad bit though and I am wishing you the best of luck with all of this.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread