TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

"Morally Superior" - January 30th 2014, 10:55 PM

It's not my intention to offend anyone here, but I feel as if I have to get this off my chest. So, earlier today, I was standing with my small group of friends, which I don't exactly remember what we were talking about. Anyways, this conversation off to the side of me catches my attention (it sounds like an argument), so I kind of listen in. It's a guy and a girl arguing about something. Out of nowhere, the guy says something along the lines of, "Hey, I'm a Christan, so that makes me automatically entitled to a spot in 'Heaven'. I hate atheists, and even worse, those who believe in evolution. They are all going to burn in 'Hell'." He then went on to insult her parents, and she reacted to that by storming off. Then, unexpected to me, he started trying to argue with me. I ignored him pretty well until he started going on about how atheists were so judgmental. I turned around and said, "I love how brainwashed Christians like you complain about atheists being so judgmental, yet you are five times as guilty." His defense? "Oh, I'm morally superior." That was all I needed to hear to tell him I don't associate with people of an extreme level of ignorance. He tried saying something again, and I told him I was not going to listen to what he had to say anymore. Apparently, that was enough for him to leave me alone. Two minutes later, I could hear him arguing with someone else, blindly criticizing their parents' upbringing and using his faith and "moral superiority" as the ground for all his arguments. How do you think I handled this?

"Structure is the enemy of progressive thought."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: "Morally Superior" - January 30th 2014, 11:37 PM

Hey Jake,

I think you handled it very well. It's not easy to just walk away as you did, but it's a very appropriate way to handle the situation. There's NO good reason to stick around people who cause what essentially amounts to an annoyance at best, and mental harm at worst.

There are definitely some people who feel that their religion puts them above anyone who doesn't agree with them. These people are, to my way of thinking, probably fairly insecure in some ways and perhaps just really ignorant as well. That said, there are also MANY people, including religious ones, that are very open and accepting towards others.

Hope you're well!

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: "Morally Superior" - January 31st 2014, 02:33 AM

I think everyone is hypocritical, even in this situation. Your handling of it, however, was decent. It's ironic to me that so many Christian's have this attitude, while are worried of becoming Pharisees. However, if you read about the Pharisees, the organized religion of Christianity, as a whole, tends to be very Pharisaical. Jesus told the Pharisees that the prostitutes and tax collectors would inherit the kingdom of Heaven before the Pharisees, who were the religious elites and morally superior in Jesus's days. I don't like to lob groups of people together, so I'm sorry for doing so. It's just an observation with the people I've experienced.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: "Morally Superior" - January 31st 2014, 02:58 AM

Hey there,

It sounds like you handled this very well. You could have gone off on the person but instead you seemed to keep your cool for the most part while speaking your mind. I know it can be frustrating when people go off on tangents like this but the best thing to do is to not stoop to their level. In the end it just isn't worth it.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread