TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ginger98 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ginger98

Wondering... - March 15th 2014, 01:32 AM

I guess only I can know this but I'm still going to ask...I've said plenty times there's no such thing as god. But now I've realized whenever I'm in misery or really need something-------I pray to god. I ask him to help me and to take the guilt and pain in my life away. If I am indeed praying to him does this mean I believe in him? I think it does. What do you think??

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Wondering... - March 15th 2014, 04:49 PM

This is perhaps a difficult distinction, but I'd suggest that you perhaps would like to believe in a god, even if you actually believe (ie. have come to your conclusion otherwise) that there is no god. A lot of people, I think, will be atheists and pray to a god on their deathbeds because...well, some stuff is scary, and it definitely feels good to think that someone's looking out for you (or at least that you've asked for them to).

If praying - even if you objectively don't believe in a god - helps you to feel better, I don't see that it's a bad thing, really.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Wondering... - March 15th 2014, 04:56 PM

Meh. I do that sometimes, but when I'm not having a crisis, I don't believe in the god I "prayed" to. I think it's just an instinctual thing, to plead to some ultimate being to intervene in an otherwise hopeless situation. Of course, it takes time to find what you really believe in. Being in a crisis is not the time to figure out which religion you truly believe in, because your pleads are an act of desperation. If you are in a calm, collected state, then you can rationalize what religious belief makes the most sense to you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
stelles Offline
stelles
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Estelle/Stelles

Re: Wondering... - March 15th 2014, 08:40 PM

Like the above posters said, it's entirely possible to ask a god for help even if you don't necessarily believe it exists. Sometimes you just want someone to help you, and since people hear a lot about different gods watching over them or guiding them through life or whatever, it can be pretty comforting and even automatic to pray to that god.

Be yourself, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  Send a message via Skype™ to stelles 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Liz

Re: Wondering... - March 18th 2014, 07:20 PM

Hi. I'm not going to tell you all that stupid crap about how God is real and stuff because I know it's useless. Personally, I believe in God. It's really nice to know that he's there whenever I need him. I don't think it's bad that you pray to him. It is definitely your choice to decide whether you believe or not. But I am always here to support you, no matter what.

Closed Thread