TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
loopage Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lorie

Aphateism - April 2nd 2014, 03:05 PM

I realized that a lot of people consider themselves atheists, but I started to wonder if there are any aphateists out there?
I consider myself aphateist, I used to belong to the The Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church but I resigned simply because of the Church taxes & I don't really want to pay for something I don't necessarily believe in.
Being aphateist I don't deny anyone else's beliefs or the existence of Gods & Deities & couldn't care less for them, other than reading about mythologies which I find interesting, but my line crosses when people try to push their beliefs onto others.
Idk, I just thought I'd throw this out here, even though religion can be a sensitive subject, I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Aphateism - April 2nd 2014, 06:33 PM

This is an interesting mind set. Could you perhaps further explain to me the difference between aphateism and agnosticism?

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Aphateism - April 2nd 2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
This is an interesting mind set. Could you perhaps further explain to me the difference between aphateism and agnosticism?
Well, my understanding of it is that apatheists simply have no interest in any belief or disbelief in a deity. Essentially, they don't see how the question of the existence of a deity as in any shape or form relevant to their own lives. Some secular humanists would be apatheistic, as they don't give any consideration to belief or disbelief on the basis that humanity can be functional without an answer to the 'God question'.

Agnosticism, however, is more explicit in a neither yes or no viewpoint, while apatheism, as the name suggests, involves apathy towards the God question. I identify as an agnostic, but I think apatheism is probably a more suitable label for my beliefs.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Aphateism - April 2nd 2014, 07:02 PM

As far as I can understand, it's the idea that you've thought enough about how best to treat any debates regarding the existence of deities to come to the conclusion to utterly disregard them.

It's definitely an interesting viewpoint, and I'd imagine sets the mind at rest quite niely, although I feel that it's slightly...well, apathetic. And I like discovery, and exciting sciencey things myself, so I don't know that it'd necessarily be something I'd want to, myself, believe in.

However, as far as pushing one's beliefs onto others go (outside of a debate context, and even then it should just be that it's a more open discussion, rather than a "you must believe this"), I'd absolutely support the position that it's not really very ethical. And it's annoying. So, yes, on that, we agree absolutely.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Aphateism - April 3rd 2014, 10:39 AM

I'm going to go ahead and assume you mean apatheism, as in pragmatic atheism. If not, disregard the following answer.

The way I see it, the difference between apatheism and agnosticism is kind of similar to the difference between ignorance and apathy. (What's the difference? I don't know and I don't care.)

Seriously though (and apologies if that joke offended anyone, I am in no way trying to undermine religious beliefs or any lack thereof), in my mind being agnostic means that you're not entirely sure but potentially you're willing to explore, whereas apatheism means that you probably won't explore because you don't believe it has any bearing on your life.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
loopage Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lorie

Re: Aphateism - April 3rd 2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercicle. View Post
Apatheism means that you probably won't explore because you don't believe it has any bearing on your life.
Firstly sorry, yeah I meant apatheism hahah~
And this exactly, I don't think it has any relevance to my life, so I'm not looking for answers & proof.

Closed Thread