TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Going to church if you aren't religious? - April 29th 2014, 03:08 AM

On Easter, I went to church with my family. There were people that were so religious and so into the whole experience - it gave me tingles. When I watch Sister Wives, I get the same feeling when they share and show the religious aspect of their family. I have a very deep respect for religious people, but I find it hard to have faith in religion myself. There's too much uncertainty, as well as too much fear that I'll be wrong. However, the idea of going to a church is very appealing to me. Is it disrespectful to go to church and listen, even if you don't believe in the religion that the church teaches?

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.

PM / VM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Going to church if you aren't religious? - April 29th 2014, 03:55 AM

As a non-religious person who has gone to church a few times, I don't think it's disrespectful to go and listen as long as you don't act disrespectfully during the service. I think it can actually be a valuable learning experience as far as other belief systems and cultures.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ezra. Offline
Electric Blue Indigo Child
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ezra

Re: Going to church if you aren't religious? - April 29th 2014, 04:20 AM

I don't think it's disrespectful at all. There seems to be 2 things that aren't liked.
1 is phoney christians, pretending to be all religious to get attention etc.
2 is disruptors, people who trash the teachings and what goes on in the church.
But what you are talking about doing is probably greatly encouraged.
They're fine with it because they hope you'll get converted someday by being there.
Or at least that should be the case I think.

:☆*・☆.。.:*・☆.。.:*・☆.:*・☆.:*・☆.:*・☆:

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: Going to church if you aren't religious? - April 29th 2014, 02:10 PM

Churches can be nice places with cool people. It can be fun to sing hymns and listen to a good sermon. Nothing wrong with going even if you don't believe.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Going to church if you aren't religious? - April 29th 2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurasaurus View Post
On Easter, I went to church with my family. There were people that were so religious and so into the whole experience - it gave me tingles. When I watch Sister Wives, I get the same feeling when they share and show the religious aspect of their family. I have a very deep respect for religious people, but I find it hard to have faith in religion myself. There's too much uncertainty, as well as too much fear that I'll be wrong. However, the idea of going to a church is very appealing to me. Is it disrespectful to go to church and listen, even if you don't believe in the religion that the church teaches?
Most religious people would welcome you in. I think it becomes disrespectful if mocking is involved, and if you are dishonest with them. If they ask you if you believe, simply tell them no, and explain why. You'll have to expect them to try to "save" you, but that comes with the territory.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Going to church if you aren't religious? - May 1st 2014, 11:28 AM

No, I don't think so. There's a difference between being spiritual and being religious, so I don't think you have to believe in a certain religion to be welcome at their services. Personally I find churches in general quite relaxing and even inspiring, although I'm not Christian, and as long as you're not being disrespectful I don't see why people should object to your presence there. Like Michael said, as long as you're not dishonest about your intentions and beliefs, there's nothing wrong with it.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread