TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,708
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

astral projection - August 8th 2014, 06:18 AM

Ill make this quick, its super late where im at... For anybody who knows what astral projection is and actually pulled it off, do you have any tips for me? I tried it a few times, and I got to the sleep paralysis stage and even felt some major vibrations, but got disturbed both of the last two times. I read online that a good idea is to imagine your soul climbing an imaginary rope thats dangling from the ceiling. Then once your out, you can basically do whatever you want.
Does anybody know how to do this with confidence? Any tips?


Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
weaved1 Offline
fruit loop
Average Joe
***
 
weaved1's Avatar
 
Name: --
Gender: Male
Location: --

Posts: 121
Join Date: March 8th 2014

Re: astral projection - August 8th 2014, 10:43 AM

With how nonsensical and silly this sounds, 'apparently' you shouldn't go to any misty forest in this other plane of supernatural existence.



   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
gdheiwmow's Avatar
 

Posts: 203
Join Date: February 25th 2014

Re: astral projection - August 8th 2014, 11:18 AM

Never heard of the rope method before, but it should work in theory. I have always used the roll-out method since it is the easiest and most natural movement for me. What do you mean by "disturbed"? Do you mean you were scared to separate bodies completely? That's supposed to be a very common problem the first few times, but if you go slowly and avoid looking back at your physical body it should help.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,700
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: astral projection - August 8th 2014, 06:11 PM

I have heard that astral projection can be acquired in a very similar manner to meditation. The goal in meditation is to let go of all physical awareness. Now when you enter this sleep paralysis phase, basically what you are achieving is a deep form of meditation. Which is a good thing, because mentally that can help ease a lot of stress and anxiety. Now once you reach that point you are trying to project what part of yourself to another location? Your soul?

You said you are being disturbed, do you know exactly what is affecting you?




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: astral projection - August 9th 2014, 03:29 AM

There is no evidence that astral projection exists. Don't waste your time with this BS.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,700
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: astral projection - August 9th 2014, 03:11 PM

Please respect all users' beliefs, this is no different than someone believing in God or angels or karma. Spirituality does not require evidence. If you don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion than please refrain from posting.

And like I said Michael, astral projection is a similar mind set to meditation and there actually is plenty of evidence on how healthy meditation is. So it is not a waste of time.




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough
*********
 
Adam the Fish's Avatar
 
Name: Adam
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Location: Bristol

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: August 24th 2012

Re: astral projection - August 9th 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
Please respect all users' beliefs, this is no different than someone believing in God or angels or karma
May I suggest please that we respect each others' right to different beliefs? There are some beliefs (admittedly generally extremist and harmful, rather than mildly misleading pseudoscience) which I would personally find it incredibly difficult to respect, as I'm sure you would too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
Spirituality does not require evidence.
I think the point is more that there is no evidence for spirituality, rather evidence suggesting that it is not necessarily true. This is the case - mostly mathematically - with the idea of astral projection; scientifically valid studies have been carried out, all of which (to my knowledge) suggest that the "phenomenon" (or whatever you wish to call it) is based upon nothing more than confirmation bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
If you don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion than please refrain from posting.
Assuming that was aimed at Michael, I'd say it was fairly valid advice. Certainly I'd second that there's a lack of any evidence for it (which - to many people - is an important aspect of evaluating a "belief" - whether it is or not to you, that too should be respected). I'll be a tad more subtle and suggest that, in my opinion, there may be more helpful applications of time - although obviously anyone may do with their time as they wish. Meditation or reflection perhaps, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
And like I said Michael, astral projection is a similar mind set to meditation and there actually is plenty of evidence on how healthy meditation is. So it is not a waste of time.
You assume here that astral projection is indeed a real thing here, which makes reasoning that it's good rather circular given that Michael was fairly comprehensively dismissing (or perhaps more contextually, "challenging") its existence.
Meditation is indeed helpful, but since so-called "astral projection" is not the same thing (apparently) it won't necessarily deliver the same benefits. I could certainly advocate some relaxation and reflection time though. I'd imagine it would be quite nice and refreshing - and the supernatural needn't even be invoked.


Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,700
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: astral projection - August 10th 2014, 05:16 PM

I really hope that Robert is not hurt by the comments made in this thread and chooses to return to the conversation. The religion forum is made for people to talk openly and honestly about their beliefs and to get support and guidance from others. If he wanted to debate astral projection he would have made a thread in the debate forum or asked if his beliefs are scientifically sound. But he didn't do either of those things. Instead he asked a simple question about something very personal to him and was basically scoffed at by multiple people.

This is a blanket statement to all users of the religion forum if the OP does not ask to debate their belief, then don't post in their thread attempting to prove them wrong. That comes across as rude and insensitive, two things that are not tolerated on this site. If you are looking for a debate please create your own thread on the topic.

Now let's stay on topic and answer the OP's question.




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,708
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

Re: astral projection - September 9th 2014, 10:14 PM

i'm hardly offended. It's something I'm not even all that interested in, really... the idea though, to me, sounds like everything I ever wanted, but I've only tried it a handful of times, im not exactly confident it would work.
And by disturbed, I mean someone interrupted me, or mosquito bites were annoying the hell out of me at the time. I couldnt complete the theoretical process.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,700
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: astral projection - September 9th 2014, 10:42 PM

Have you considered meditation to help you focus?




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: astral projection - September 10th 2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
the idea though, to me, sounds like everything I ever wanted, but I've only tried it a handful of times, im not exactly confident it would work.
.
Sure, it's a cool idea, but there's a good reason for it not to work.

I'll quote Wikipedia here:
"Patients have reported feelings similar to the descriptions of astral projection induced through various hallucinogenic and hypnotic (including self-hypnotic) means. There is no scientific evidence that there is any measurable manifestation of a consciousness or soul which is separate from neural activity, and there is no scientific evidence for the contention that one can consciously leave the body and make observations. Attempts to verify that such has occurred have consistently failed in spite of the variety of pseudoscientific claims to the contrary."

So basically, yes, it's very possible to feel like you're in a hallucinogenic state, but there's no reason to believe it's actually astral projection. My tips if you actually want to achieve astral projection: give up.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Apollo Fowl Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Apollo Fowl's Avatar
 
Name: Apollo Fowl
Age: 21
Gender: Female

Posts: 6
Join Date: April 17th 2012

Re: astral projection - October 6th 2014, 09:17 PM

i know what it is i have not yet tried it but from what i hear you should first just practice with meditation techniques so it wont be as hard
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
livingdeadboy's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: Georgia

Posts: 132
Join Date: October 3rd 2014

Re: astral projection - October 6th 2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
There is no evidence that astral projection exists. Don't waste your time with this BS.
If that's the case, then why did the american government conduct classified research on it in a project called project Stargate?
The soul is believed to exist by many scientists as a compilation of energy that survives the soul. Stephen Hawking believes in astral projection as a scientific inevitability. Before you claim such things next time, learn about the subject.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough
*********
 
Adam the Fish's Avatar
 
Name: Adam
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Location: Bristol

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: August 24th 2012

Re: astral projection - October 7th 2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
If that's the case, then why did the american government conduct classified research on it in a project called project Stargate?
The soul is believed to exist by many scientists as a compilation of energy that survives the soul. Stephen Hawking believes in astral projection as a scientific inevitability. Before you claim such things next time, learn about the subject.
You seem to be, to use the metaphor Tim Minchin came up with, hitting the tennis ball back on an entirely different court.

Michael said that there is no scientific evidence that astral projection is a real thing that can actually happen. If you have any peer-reviewed papers on it, I'd love a read.

As far as what the US government and one scientist possibly think, I can't tell you their reasoning. It doesn't make it correct.


Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Tommy1 Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Tommy1's Avatar
 

Posts: 38
Join Date: October 14th 2014

Re: astral projection - October 15th 2014, 08:44 AM

I think it is not possible
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
astral, projection

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2018, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.