TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
livingdeadboy's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: Georgia

Posts: 132
Join Date: October 3rd 2014

vampires - October 6th 2014, 10:04 PM

I'm just curious to see if we have any "vampires" here. I've always been interested in learning about this social phenomena.
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: vampires - October 6th 2014, 10:26 PM

What are "vampires"?
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
livingdeadboy's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: Georgia

Posts: 132
Join Date: October 3rd 2014

Re: vampires - October 6th 2014, 10:38 PM

There are generally two types of vampires-those suffering from psychosis, and those who are part of a eclectic underground movement identifying as vampires. Some drink blood while others claim to feed psychically.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: vampires - October 6th 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
There are generally two types of vampires-those suffering from psychosis, and those who are part of a eclectic underground movement identifying as vampires. Some drink blood while others claim to feed psychically.
Yes, but what ARE vampires? Knowing the two types of vampires isn't helpful when I don't know what they are in the first place.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
livingdeadboy's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: Georgia

Posts: 132
Join Date: October 3rd 2014

Re: vampires - October 6th 2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
Yes, but what ARE vampires? Knowing the two types of vampires isn't helpful when I don't know what they are in the first place.
Then obviously you're not one lol. It's a social movement similar to goth or emo
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: vampires - October 6th 2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
Then obviously you're not one lol. It's a social movement similar to goth or emo
For all you know, I could be one. Maybe I asked what a vampire is so that you could clarify vampires to people that don't understand.

Also, google defines "social movement" in this way:
Quote:
Social movements are a type of group action. They are large, sometimes informal, groupings of individuals or organizations which focus on specific political or social issues. In other words, they carry out, resist or undo a social change.
Is that what you mean by a social movement?
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
livingdeadboy's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: Georgia

Posts: 132
Join Date: October 3rd 2014

Re: vampires - October 6th 2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
For all you know, I could be one. Maybe I asked what a vampire is so that you could clarify vampires to people that don't understand.

Also, google defines "social movement" in this way:


Is that what you mean by a social movement?
Since when had Google become the gold standard in entomology, syntactology, and linguistics?
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
Since when had Google become the gold standard in entomology, syntactology, and linguistics?
I haven't claimed that.
I was just wondering what you meant by "social movement" and "vampire". That's all.

I don't think I've met vampires before, but I don't know because I don't know what they are.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
livingdeadboy's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: Georgia

Posts: 132
Join Date: October 3rd 2014

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
I haven't claimed that.
I was just wondering what you meant by "social movement" and "vampire". That's all.

I don't think I've met vampires before, but I don't know because I don't know what they are.
Basically, they're otherwise normal people that for various reasons, drink blood.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
Basically, they're otherwise normal people that for various reasons, drink blood.
That seems strange to me, because blood is generally toxic if consumed.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
livingdeadboy's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: Georgia

Posts: 132
Join Date: October 3rd 2014

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
That seems strange to me, because blood is generally toxic if consumed.
That's due to it's high iron content, however, toxic is a far cry from poisonous.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
That's due to it's high iron content, however, toxic is a far cry from poisonous.
I'm not a doctor, but I can't say I'd recommend drinking blood. If you want to know more information about it, talk to your GP.

I'm all for people being a part of the goth or emo subcultures if it makes them happy, but generally, I think it's a good idea to recommend people avoid doing things that are bad for their health too.
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
blackheartedballerina's Avatar
 
Name: bayleigh
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: behind you

Posts: 204
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: August 12th 2013

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 01:23 AM

Well, my friends lovingly refer to me as a vampire, but that's because I am extremely pale and am strongly opposed to sunlight because I burn incredibly easily. Other than that, I haven't come across any vampires, but I has heard of people who consume blood.


Creativity takes courage
-Henri Matisse

PM/VM me if you just need to talk. trust me, i don't mind
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?
**********
 
_Headphones_'s Avatar
 
Name: Frankie<3
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Hiding from the heffalumps

Posts: 4,326
Blog Entries: 28
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 01:27 AM

did you know if you have a little cut and it's bleeding most people will lick it. That doesn't make them vampires.


Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|


   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
livingdeadboy's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: Georgia

Posts: 132
Join Date: October 3rd 2014

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Tinker Bell* View Post
did you know if you have a little cut and it's bleeding most people will lick it. That doesn't make them vampires.
Of course not. Lol. What makes them vampires is identifying as such.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,700
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 02:26 AM

Don't forget psychic vampires.




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
livingdeadboy's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: Georgia

Posts: 132
Join Date: October 3rd 2014

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
Don't forget psychic vampires.
I'm not. Lol. Most people here seem to be noobs so I'm trying not to go over their heads lol.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
gdheiwmow's Avatar
 

Posts: 203
Join Date: February 25th 2014

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 05:09 AM

As far as I know, I'm the only one here, and a sanguinarian.
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
MWF's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: The Best City On Earth

Posts: 1,708
Join Date: May 22nd 2010

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 06:42 AM

You talkin like the vamp-kids from Southpark? I used to know one.
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough
*********
 
Adam the Fish's Avatar
 
Name: Adam
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Location: Bristol

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: August 24th 2012

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 03:36 PM

Vampires...as in, Gothic fiction?

Like Michael, I'm currently struggling to work out what exactly the specific definion of a "vampire" is supposed to be? Can anyone be a vampire if they've ever consumed any amount of blood and wishes to identify as such? Or are there other criteria?
And how does one categorically differentiate between different types of vampire if one does indeed establish who or what a vampire is? For instance, I quickly Googled psychic vampires and I see no mention of blood but instead "life force" - what is "life force" exactly? How does one feed off of it? Can anyone do so?


Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
gdheiwmow's Avatar
 

Posts: 203
Join Date: February 25th 2014

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam the Fish View Post
Vampires...as in, Gothic fiction?

Like Michael, I'm currently struggling to work out what exactly the specific definion of a "vampire" is supposed to be? Can anyone be a vampire if they've ever consumed any amount of blood and wishes to identify as such? Or are there other criteria?
And how does one categorically differentiate between different types of vampire if one does indeed establish who or what a vampire is? For instance, I quickly Googled psychic vampires and I see no mention of blood but instead "life force" - what is "life force" exactly? How does one feed off of it? Can anyone do so?
Technically, there is a huge spectrum for what defines someone as a vampyre. People like myself identify as one because we share common atypical traits and require blood or "energy" to maintain health. There are others, for example, who identify as one for role-play, or for religion. There's not much regulation with the term, which is why it's so difficult to define it.

In regards to the type mentioned in this thread, a person who has once consumed blood, but does not need to would not be generally considered correct in calling themselves a vampyre. Assuming they identify as sanguinarian, they would be required to continually do so to maintain health. While it's not a requirement, most also have atypical traits previously mentioned, such as abnormally frequent health problems. Perhaps that's where the stereotype comes from that we are very health-conscious.

I'm ambivalent about the idea of psychic vampyres, but from my understanding, life force could best be described as spiritual energy. If you're familiar with many New Age topics, you get the general idea of what it is and who can manipulate it. I'd assume they guide this energy into their own bodies as a form of feeding, and that anybody could be trained to do this.
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki View Post
Technically, there is a huge spectrum for what defines someone as a vampyre. People like myself identify as one because we share common atypical traits and require blood or "energy" to maintain health. There are others, for example, who identify as one for role-play, or for religion. There's not much regulation with the term, which is why it's so difficult to define it.
You should try the James Randi One Million Dollar Challenge. Your claims here are supernatural, and if you prove them, you could become a millionaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki View Post
In regards to the type mentioned in this thread, a person who has once consumed blood, but does not need to would not be generally considered correct in calling themselves a vampyre.
Woah, woah, woah! If somebody identifies as a vampyre, who is to say that they're wrong, simply because they don't generally consume blood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki View Post
Assuming they identify as sanguinarian, they would be required to continually do so to maintain health.
Oh, we're talking about a specific type of vampire. So you're saying that you require blood, even though blood contains no unique nutrients that humans require? I mean, all the nutrients in blood that humans need can be found in other foods in much safer quantities. I'm sorry, but I'm kind of doubting your claims here a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki View Post
While it's not a requirement, most also have atypical traits previously mentioned, such as abnormally frequent health problems.
Perhaps from consuming blood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki View Post
Perhaps that's where the stereotype comes from that we are very health-conscious.
I don't know about the stereotype, so I'm just going to have to trust you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki View Post
I'm ambivalent about the idea of psychic vampyres, but from my understanding, life force could best be described as spiritual energy.
I'm going to assume that this "energy" can't be detected or measured in any way, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki View Post
If you're familiar with many New Age topics, you get the general idea of what it is and who can manipulate it.
Unfortunately I'm very familiar with new age topics.
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough
*********
 
Adam the Fish's Avatar
 
Name: Adam
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Location: Bristol

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: August 24th 2012

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 07:42 PM

You require blood? Well, I guess I require about 6 litres, but not to drink. It's a little off-topic, but I'm curious as to what might happen if you were deprived of a supply?
I also require energy to continue living, but judging by the violation of physical laws in that channelling someone else's energy out of them would tend to kill them (and be entirely impossible as far as any measurable process goes), that's not the definition of the word you mean?


Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
gdheiwmow's Avatar
 

Posts: 203
Join Date: February 25th 2014

Re: vampires - October 7th 2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
You should try the James Randi One Million Dollar Challenge. Your claims here are supernatural, and if you prove them, you could become a millionaire!
I never made any claims of the sort.
Quote:
Woah, woah, woah! If somebody identifies as a vampyre, who is to say that they're wrong, simply because they don't generally consume blood?
That's why I tried to word this carefully. Because of the inability to define the word, there's no 100% certain way to prove or disprove someone's claims. However, each group usually has their own meaning of what it means to be one. In the case of sanguinarians, the majority of the group would not agree that the person fits the definition according to sanguinarian beliefs. For a sanguinarian, consumption of blood is fundamental. If you don't need it, the majority of the group would not categorize you as sanguinarian, but would possibly consider you a member of a different group.
Quote:
Oh, we're talking about a specific type of vampire. So you're saying that you require blood, even though blood contains no unique nutrients that humans require? I mean, all the nutrients in blood that humans need can be found in other foods in much safer quantities. I'm sorry, but I'm kind of doubting your claims here a little bit.
Technology is still advancing. There is no reason to think we know every possible thing there is to know about blood. There are many theories as to why we need it, but no conclusions can be made until further research is done. Some may view it as a nutrition thing and that's fine, but not everyone agrees with that.
Quote:
Perhaps from consuming blood?
No, health problems as in genetic disorders, weak immune systems, frail bones. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they consume blood. You seem to be implying that blood is akin to poison, which isn't really an applicable argument here.
Quote:
I don't know about the stereotype, so I'm just going to have to trust you here.
It was actually referenced twice in a South Park episode:
Goth 1: Really. Do you guys even smoke?
Vampir: Of course not. Smoking's bad for you.

Goth 1: I bet they aren't even drinking coffee.
Waitress:[turns to face the Vamps] No, they said they're too young to drink caffeine, so they're havin' orange juice.

Quote:
I'm going to assume that this "energy" can't be detected or measured in any way, right?
You're asking the wrong person. As I've said, it's a subject I have no interest or expertise in. It would be better to ask one of these energy vampyres as opposed to a sanguinarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam the Fish View Post
You require blood? Well, I guess I require about 6 litres, but not to drink. It's a little off-topic, but I'm curious as to what might happen if you were deprived of a supply?
I also require energy to continue living, but judging by the violation of physical laws in that channelling someone else's energy out of them would tend to kill them (and be entirely impossible as far as any measurable process goes), that's not the definition of the word you mean?
Depravation brings about different consequences for different people. In my case, I find it difficult to eat and keep food down, and I experience pain in my abdomen. It feels like what I would imagine it to feel like to have an aortic aneurysm. Mentally, I end up with problems probably too graphic to list without a warning. Really screws with my head until the situation is remedied.

Depends on how you plan to extract and use the energy.
   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Gender: Female (Trans MtF)

Posts: 868
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: vampires - October 8th 2014, 04:01 AM

I'm a vampire because I'm so sparkly.

You can be one too. Get some glitter!



   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
vampires

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2018, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.