TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Pagan/Wiccan question. Witchcraft. - November 1st 2014, 11:32 PM

Can you be a Pagan/Wiccan even though you don't practice witchcraft?

I'm interested in Pagan/Wiccan but I'm not sure about witchcraft.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Pagan/Wiccan question. Witchcraft. - November 2nd 2014, 02:26 PM

Wicca is a denomination of Neo-Paganism. So yes, you can be just "plain" Pagan and not do the whole witchcraft thing. And you could technically be Wiccan and not do the whole witchcraft thing too. All Neo-Paganism belief systems are very malleable to the practitioner's personal feelings and thoughts. If you don't feel comfortable with a particular belief or practice, it does not have to be apart of your belief system.

Why not tell me a little more about your beliefs and maybe we can see if you fit better into one category or the other. I have been Pagan for about seven years now.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pagan/Wiccan question. Witchcraft. - November 2nd 2014, 04:19 PM

I'm a total newbie when it comes to Paganism.
However I have been looking it up and I understand that there are different types of Pagans such as Wicca. I have ordered a book called "Pagan Paths: A Guide to Wicca, Druidry, Asatru Shamanism and Other Pagan Practices. By Pete Jennings." As it has many good reviews.

I want to do the one year and one day study but I don't know where to start. I don't know which books are better then others. It doesn't help that I am a slow learner.

It's not that I'm uncomfortable with witchcraft, I just don't know where to start. For example if I wanted to help someone, how would I know what spell to use? I have looked up spells but every websites give you different information. It's confusing.

I have been drawn to Paganism for a while now. I love nature, animals, plants ect. I believe that people should follow there heart and that everything happens for a reason. I try to stay positive when I'm in a bad situation. There is always light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited by 2Snowflake2; November 2nd 2014 at 04:39 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pagan/Wiccan question. Witchcraft. - November 2nd 2014, 06:44 PM

It doesn't matter what religion you are if you decide to practice witchcraft. It is not limited to Paganism, nor is it a requirement. I would highly recommend to a beginner that they stay away from "spell" websites as they are misleading and overwhelming. Study up on the different philosophies and such before you decide to try it out. Most witches will tell you to make your own spells and personalize them.

Do you have an idea of which faiths you might be interested in?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pagan/Wiccan question. Witchcraft. - November 2nd 2014, 07:38 PM

Which faith I might be interested in? I'm not sure.
Well I'm hoping the book that I ordered will help me a lot when it comes to choosing a path.

Yeah I think I will stay away from the spell websites, they are so confusing.
I don't even know what you would use to create a spell. And how would I know that the spell worked. :/

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: Pagan/Wiccan question. Witchcraft. - November 4th 2014, 02:52 PM

I've had trouble picking a path as well, so I understand how overwhelming it seems. There is an eclectic path that basically means you do whatever works for you and pull from many different sources. Not even just pagan sources, I know pagans that Christian practices. You could test the waters of all the different paths and see what you like, and if you don't prefer the stricter organization of some paths you can go your own way. Do whatever feels right to you and try as many things as you like. There is no limit to your spirituality.
Also, I agree that you should stay away from spell websites and perhaps spells in general until you have a better grasp of what they are and what they do. Also, the first thing you want to do before even considering casting any spell is learn about the ethics of it and understand the consequences of casting, especially if it involves another person.
I hope this helped

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS

(#7 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pagan/Wiccan question. Witchcraft. - November 4th 2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHeart View Post
I've had trouble picking a path as well, so I understand how overwhelming it seems. There is an eclectic path that basically means you do whatever works for you and pull from many different sources. Not even just pagan sources, I know pagans that Christian practices. You could test the waters of all the different paths and see what you like, and if you don't prefer the stricter organization of some paths you can go your own way. Do whatever feels right to you and try as many things as you like. There is no limit to your spirituality.
Also, I agree that you should stay away from spell websites and perhaps spells in general until you have a better grasp of what they are and what they do. Also, the first thing you want to do before even considering casting any spell is learn about the ethics of it and understand the consequences of casting, especially if it involves another person.
I hope this helped
Thank You.
I have heard the the eclectic path. I will look up the other paths to find the one most suited to me.

How long have you been a Pagan? Did you choose the eclectic path?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Pagan/Wiccan question. Witchcraft. - November 4th 2014, 08:30 PM

That sounds like a really good book to help you understand more about different paths.

However, Wiccan's never preform magick on other people without their consent. It's part of the creed to harm none. While you may be trying to help them out, by doing something without their consent is not ethical. And in the end, you may end up making these worse unintentionally. If you get their permission for you to say a spell for them, then you may proceed.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#9 (permalink)) Old
2Snowflake2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pagan/Wiccan question. Witchcraft. - November 5th 2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
That sounds like a really good book to help you understand more about different paths.

However, Wiccan's never preform magick on other people without their consent. It's part of the creed to harm none. While you may be trying to help them out, by doing something without their consent is not ethical. And in the end, you may end up making these worse unintentionally. If you get their permission for you to say a spell for them, then you may proceed.
Yeah I recently heard about this. Thanks.
I think I will stay away from magick at least until I fully understand it. So is it just Wiccans that preform magick, as from recent research it seems like that's what Wiccans do? I know you said that anyone could be a Wiccan without practices magick. I don't know, I'm probably not making sense, I find it confusing, sorry.

I've done some research it's all about pagan and wicca, like Wiccan is the main path, the path that a lot of Pagans follow. Why aren't the other paths mentioned much?

I came across this course but not sure whether I should try it, http://www.paganslearningonline.org/...ics/4584904634
It sounds interesting and I'm hoping it will help me understand more about Paganism.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: Pagan/Wiccan question. Witchcraft. - November 5th 2014, 04:31 PM

I've been pagan since I was 13, so about three years, although I believe that even as a young child I was called towards a path like this. I've always loved nature and been fascinated by the idea of magick and things like divination. And magick, under the "harm none" rule, is most commonly practiced using ritual tools such as the athame(a dagger with both sides being a blade), chalice, pentacle, salt water, wand, candles, cauldron, stones, broom, bowl for offerings to the divine, etc. Of course, none of these tools are necessary! They're simply used to enhance your state of mind and your magick or rituals. And to construct your altar, though your altar can consist of any number of objects that are sacred to you. Also, most Wiccans keep what is called a Book of Shadows, where they record all of the knowledge they have gain about their path and magick(this is where you'd keep spells), all the rituals you've been in and spells you've cast. It is basically your journal used for recording your spiritual journey.

The other paths likely aren't mentioned much because they aren't quite as popular, but there are other pagan paths that are not mentioned. There is Wicca, of course, which branches into many paths, asatru(german/Nordic paganism), stregheria(Italian witchcraft), druidism(celtic paganism), and native American faiths, and many more. It also has to do with some of these paths are harder to find information on but there is a wealth of wiccan websites, books, and teacher out there.

You can try websites and books for learning. I can't stress reading enough, many pagans start off just reading as much as they can, keeping a journal(sometimes a Book of Shadows), setting up an altar and teaching themselves in that way. Nowadays there is certainly no shortage of information out there for you to pull from and there are certainly people here that you can ask if you ever have any questions.

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS

(#11 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pagan/Wiccan question. Witchcraft. - November 5th 2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHeart View Post
The other paths likely aren't mentioned much because they aren't quite as popular, but there are other pagan paths that are not mentioned. There is Wicca, of course, which branches into many paths, asatru(german/Nordic paganism), stregheria(Italian witchcraft), druidism(celtic paganism), and native American faiths, and many more. It also has to do with some of these paths are harder to find information on but there is a wealth of wiccan websites, books, and teacher out there.
I'd prefer not to comment on all this Wicca stuff for personal reasons, but I'd just like to stress that Wicca is its own religion. The form most commonly talked about borrows from other existing religions, but these religions are not dependent on it. That is, it's probably better to say other religions branch into it than branch out of it. I don't want to be that guy, but as a reconstructionist, cultural appropriation is frustrating.

Closed Thread