TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LadySerine Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ayana

How do I tell my mom I want to convert to Wicca? - November 10th 2014, 09:25 AM

I know that a lot of people don't think a twelve year old should decide to commit to a different faith, but I have never had a connection with Jesus or God. I think just about half the Bible is wrong. It's just not me. If you've ever had that gut feeling that something is wrong, and then something horribe happens, you kind of know what I'm talking about. But my mom thinks that Wicca is a cult. And it is mot definitely NOT. It is all about being connected to nature, and taking responsibility for your actions. I don't know how to tell her without her blowing up at me. She is very temperamental. I just don't know what to do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How do I tell my mom I want to convert to Wicca? - November 10th 2014, 11:15 PM

Hey there,

I've gone ahead and moved this to the Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy forum because I think you will get better responses here.

Honestly, I think when it comes to telling a parent about things like this you have to think about what is best for your well-being. Would it be safe to tell your parents that you want to convert to Wiccan? Would your mom kick you out or harm you in anyway if you told her this? What are the pros and cons of telling her about this change in religion? If there are no dangers in telling her then go ahead and let her know but if it wouldn't be safe then you might want to wait until you are not so dependent upon her. There would be nothing wrong with practicing this religion without your mothers knowledge.

If you do decide to tell her you might want to tell her at a time when she is calm and will listen to you without getting upset. Maybe back up what you say with some documents on the religion that you feel are reliable and explain the faith well. From there hopefully she will listen to what you have to say and take it seriously.

I hope that this helped and I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How do I tell my mom I want to convert to Wicca? - November 11th 2014, 03:51 AM

Depends. If you think that it will make living at home hard, then consider not telling her. If your mother will treat you badly or try to withhold some of the usual teenage experiences because of this, then I would reconsider telling her.

It is very easy to make it hard for a teenager to grow up. No driver's license, no part-time job, refusing to give financial info for college, refusing to let you participate in school activities, etc.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: How do I tell my mom I want to convert to Wicca? - November 11th 2014, 05:14 PM

First off, I want you to know that it's not wrong for you to want to switch faiths at 12, if you want to explore your spirituality in a different way than your parents that's perfectly okay. However, I agree that you should think about you safety when it comes to telling your mom. It isn't necissary for her to know what faith you practice, and Wicca isn't a religion that asks that you go to service with others every day/week, you can practice in solitary and for most nature is their church.
I wish you the best of luck

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: How do I tell my mom I want to convert to Wicca? - November 12th 2014, 08:07 PM

You might not wanna say the actual word Wicca, to many people it has a rather negative stigma to it. Also, expect her to say its just a phase. You know, you're only 12, not meaning to condescend, but maybe it is a phase.
I'm very religious and I only believe bits and pieces of the Bible. It contradicts itself a thousand times, and many of the events can't be proven archaeologically. Like the Exodus (Egypt probably never had slaves) and other major events. And come on, Everybody came from Adam and Eve approximately 6000 years ago? I think most of the early stories were to make sense and give morals to the average person back then.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: How do I tell my mom I want to convert to Wicca? - November 14th 2014, 04:44 AM

I also agree that you should really think about whether or not it's absolutely necessary that you tell her about this. It's completely possible for you to practice your religion without her knowledge, and if you feel she has negative feelings toward this specific religion, then it may just be what you need to do.

Just think for a minute here. What could possibly happen if you do decide to tell your mom about all this, and she takes it poorly? You're still only 12, and completely under her control. She could ground you for a month if she wanted, even though that wouldn't be fair in the slightest. She can still control you in a lot of ways, so just make sure you think before you act.

Good luck!

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

Closed Thread