TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

Disney Movies - December 21st 2014, 02:08 AM

I was listening to the frozen song Let It Go. I'm sure you all have heard it at least once by now. Standing by me was a girl and she said she didnt like that song. This led into a heated debate if disney movies are good or bad. She claims that they are bad and shouldnt be watched because the guy that makes disney movies is in witchcraft and his whole goal is to corrupt kids from an early age. Thus is the reason why he sneaks in sex and drugs into the movies as well as witchcraft symbols.

Me on the other hand, I think everything has a good and a bad side to it. And if we were to get rid of everything "bad" we might as live in a cave. lol I dont think disney movies are necessarily bad, we just need to pick and choose what is good in a movie and what is bad. Having discernment is a big key. There is always something good to take out of something. That doesnt mean we should abolish ALL disney movies. Just take out of them what is good.

Maybe i'm missing something here because she was pretty heated. lol. What are your thoughts on this?

"If I could just unzip my skin, step out of this body, then I would see who I really am.” -Wintergirls

FREE HUGS

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Disney Movies - December 21st 2014, 09:50 AM

I dont know about disney movies being bad... However most disney movies do have dark meanings - to children they are just stories, but like nearly every disney movie somewhere along the lines or in the movie is to do with death and suffering... I don't exactly see this as a bad thing in some ways it could be but I think it's clever as disney is mostly aimed at children - it teaches children about death and suffering in a way that they can process and understand.

There have been many rumours about disney - like how in the lion king when Mufussa and Simba are looking at the stars - the stars are apparantly meant to spell out 'SEX' now I haven't actually like noticed this myself. But there have also been rumours about how the lion king song be prepared is about hitler.

I don't think disney has anything to do with Witchcraft. However disney may in some films try to teach children about different cultures, death, religion and other themes in a way that is suitable and understandable for children.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Disney Movies - December 21st 2014, 11:45 AM

I think it's a load of garbage, to be honest. Disney films aren't everyone's cup of tea, and that's fair enough, but accusing the studio of seeking to promote witchcraft and corrupt children from an early age is a very extreme suggestion (and bordering on slanderous). The odd bit of innuendo by an animator (such as the alleged sex claim in The Lion King) does not equate to a conspiracy, and given that the stories are often based on existing storylines or inspired by them (The Lion King draws influences from Hamlet, for example) it is only natural that there will be darker elements to them. However, by and large the darker elements are on the losing side in such films and, for want of a better way of putting it, "good triumphs over evil". To claim that the mere inclusion of darker elements suggests their promotion or advocacy by Disney is ludicrous.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Disney Movies - December 21st 2014, 09:56 PM

If you ask me, your friend is a conspiracy theorist who must have been listening to traditionalist family members her whole life. I love Disney movies, they're not perfect, but I've learned better lessons from them than I ever learned from my parents.
They do sneak in sexual things every once in a while. The little Mermaid original VHS cover had a penis on it. It was removed, so whatever.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Disney Movies - December 21st 2014, 10:30 PM

I think they can be sexist and racist sometimes. A lot of it comes from the times they were created, or the stories that they are sharing, but at the same time, a lot of it comes from culture not catching up quite as quick as we'd like. However, I don't think they're all bad. They're certainly not normally my cup of tea, although I love Frozen.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Disney Movies - December 22nd 2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimtoad View Post
I think it's clever as disney is mostly aimed at children - it teaches children about death and suffering in a way that they can process and understand.
I agree with this. I do think it is a great way to teach kids about the dark side of the world in a way that they can process and understand it. And it also shows how good triumphs over evil.

There maybe some provocative stuff in there as you guys have mentioned but then again, in reality sex and drugs and war is everywhere around us in real life. So its not like that is the first time they seen the word sex or hears about drugs or warfare. Its real life. You cant hide kids from evil. Its all around us. I think its time we teach them to face evil and not be afraid of it. Which I think in a way is what Disney does. Like lion king for example

"If I could just unzip my skin, step out of this body, then I would see who I really am.” -Wintergirls

FREE HUGS

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Disney Movies - December 22nd 2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee. View Post
I think they can be sexist and racist sometimes. A lot of it comes from the times they were created, or the stories that they are sharing, but at the same time, a lot of it comes from culture not catching up quite as quick as we'd like. However, I don't think they're all bad. They're certainly not normally my cup of tea, although I love Frozen.
I agree with this. I don't think they are bad they are just sexist and racist to a certain degree. I admit though, that I am a fan of a lot of disney movies so I tend to get past that. I don't know if they always teach kids the best messages. Some do and some don't....meet prince charming and your life is complete...stuff like that is bull. But, there are still some really good disney movies out there.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Disney Movies - December 22nd 2014, 03:04 PM

I think the problem with Disney movies is like some of you said, racist and sexist but it goes beyond that too. Think about it, we're talking from adult's perspectives. Kids see things differently. Not to mention the segregated toy isles that Disney plays a huge part in. Everyone heard of Disney but no one knows actual fairy tales anymore. The disney adaptations of fairy tales makes it less of a fairy tale. If you read the Grimm's collection and such, they're very different. The Grimm's fairy tales are dark. Much darker than disney and the kind of dark makes even more sense for kids. I'm not against dark things, I just think Disney sucks whether it was dark or not, plus it is more "safe" than dark.
I do have a part of me that likes certain films such as toy story (Disney Pixar) and Tarzan and stuff, I haven't watched the latest Disney's.
Fairy tales were not originally told to children, it was later adapted into children stories and I'd rather read a story to a kid than have them watch Disney. And you may say, well stories can be sexist and racist...and they can. The 1812 edition of Grimm's collection was not released and the later editions that are the ones we have now have censorship and sexism. But the way Disney does the films, and maybe because it is a film and not oral or written, a child is much more likely to absorb things rather than think critically. The visual appeal makes it easier to get to a child.

I don' know nor care if the people who work in Disney are in witchcraft but I do think they are advanced in advertisement and targeting children in such a way that heavily influences them. And when you have that kind of power of influence over young minds, things get a little too easy and abuse of power is possible and does indeed happen with disney.

okay I know you all have a different opinion than I do, but please don't bite. Thankzz :P

Last edited by Not_here; December 22nd 2014 at 03:21 PM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Disney Movies - December 23rd 2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulMaziness View Post
I do think they are advanced in advertisement and targeting children in such a way that heavily influences them. And when you have that kind of power of influence over young minds, things get a little too easy and abuse of power is possible and does indeed happen with disney.
I agree with you on this. It is easy for them to abuse their power.

Thanks guys. I think iv come to a conclusion that Disney movies aren't "bad". Yes their maybe a few thing in there about sex etc. but overall the movie as a whole teaches a good lesson and I think it's up to the parents to teach the kids to discern between good and evil "bad".

Feel free to post any more thoughts on this I'm open to hear other opinions.

FREE HUGS

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Writer Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Disney Movies - December 24th 2014, 01:37 AM

If there's never been darkness, how will you appreciate the light? If you've never known bad, how will you know why it's important to be good?

As for the theory that Disney movies are conspiracies planted by Ol' Walt himself, that's complete bullshit. (I apologize if the cussing offends you. Let me ensure you that I heard no cussing in any Disney movie ever. I learned that from the Internet).

Which leads me to another point: If you were going to avoid everything even remotely bad by your standards, why in the world are you using the Internet? You can find witchcraft, cussing, sex, and drugs all over the Internet - and you don't even have to look very hard or make something out of nothing, like many Disney-oriented conspiracy theorists do. Ask your friend if she uses the Internet, and point that out. I'm pretty sure she'll rethink her opinion, or at the very least leave you alone, lol.

ANNA
ENTJ, HERMIT, AUTHOR.
"The most notorious ill-fortune must, in the end, yield to the untiring courage of philosophy - as the most stubborn city to the ceaseless vigilance of the enemy." - Edgar Allan Poe

c

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Disney Movies - January 4th 2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer View Post
If there's never been darkness, how will you appreciate the light? If you've never known bad, how will you know why it's important to be good?
This is so true. My point exactly. I'v been trying to tell her this! She still doesnt agree and gets defensive but hey at least she doesnt bother me anymore about it. ^_^

FREE HUGS

Closed Thread