TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

"Fake Science" in self help/spiritual products - January 29th 2015, 01:19 AM

There are lots of fake science in self help products. What types of BS have you seen people write about.

1)Quantum Mysticism: Many people in the New Age movement, shamans and other spiritualists like to believe that quantum mechanics (or quantum physics as they usually call it) justifies their beliefs. They even made a self help movie on it called "What the Bleep Do we Know". They make claims that we can control our world- through a quantum mechanical observer effect. This is bullshit.

2) We actually use 100 percent of our brains- not 10 percent. You can't become a genius by tapping into your "unused" 90 percent.

3) Miracle cures: The existence of strange miracle cures for conditions like ADHD,bipolar, MS,and autism. Cures include gluten/dye free diets , chelation of "heavy metals" from the body, magnetic helmets, and time in a high pressure (hyperbaric) oxygen chamber.

4) Homeopathic medicine. Homeopathy works by the "principle" that if you dissolve something in water and dilute to the point that its like one drop in the ocean - the "essence" of the dissolved substance will do the work. It would be like refiling an empty bottle of cough syrup with water and expecting it to still do the job because the "essence" of the cough syrup is there.

5) Vitamin C can't help the common cold. Your body already has adequete vitamin C to have a healthy immune system. Zinc has been shown to possibly have some benefit though.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: "Fake Science" in self help/spiritual products - January 31st 2015, 11:45 PM

You need to take another look at the so-called "principles" behind homeopathy. You're right that they're completely pseudoscientific nonsense, but you've missed two crucial points. Firstly, the active ingredient in the solution should be the thing that causes the problem (say, a snotty tissue for colds ), and secondly that homeopathic remedies are actually claimed to be even stronger if more dilute, even than a single particle of active ingredient in the ocean. Essentially, homeopathic remedies are literally placebos because they are actually just water or sugar pills. There's no ingredient at all, although that's not an issue since most did little to help anyway.

One I like is the myth inspirational educational people perpetuate which is that intelligence (or academic aptitude, as one may wish to put it) has no genetic basis. We had this guy in talking about how revision and hard work are the only things that separate top performing individuals from bottom.
Not only is that insulting to hard workers who nevertheless find their academic progress slower than others, it's a blatant lie designed to manipulate people into working for unattainable goals designed for those who are better at certain exam techniques than they are. I've done next to no revision thusfar and still perform as one of the top in my year alongside those who have revised things (because they're not as rebellious as me ) and clearly the reason I'm there is not because I've worked hard. Because frankly, I haven't. Bad as that is...

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

Closed Thread