TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Question So confused with my spiritual beliefs... - March 4th 2015, 07:19 PM

This is going to be confusing and muddled but please just bear with me.
It's been a couple of years since I've really been exploring my thoughts and ideas about our existence in a spiritual context, and it's just confusing me more and more, I have so many different theories about what we are and what is real and what isn't... it actually scares me.

About six months ago I got into this mind set where to me, everything was like a game. All beings on earth were programmed to act a certain way, to feel certain things, and to just make the game go round. I was in this state of being more present in my "what-if" thoughts than in my real physical feelings. I was kind of detatched from my emotions and senses. This lasted for a month, and it wasn't exactly depression because it didn't make me feel negative feelings, but it didn't make me feel positive feelings either. It was like I was floating somewhere else, in my mind, and I only came back to my physical body when I had to, to interract with other people, etc.

That phase is over now, but I still constantly wonder, in short, "What is all of this? Is the unierse real? Are atoms real? Am I real? Just... what?!" I do strongly believe in there being some kind of force, almost godly in the sense that it is everywhere and powerful, but not in the "perfect being" kind of sense. It just confuses me so much, there are so many different possibilities... I believe in so many different theories, and all of them contradict eachother.

It's strange, but when I'm bored in the classroom and I have nothing physical to do, I drift off in this kind of state where I'm questioning our whole existence, and it's like for a split second I get so overwhelmed that I kind of trick myself into not recognising anything around me, so all the sounds and the shapes and the smells and the tastes become nothing, I can't decipher anything, writing makes no sense, even language makes no sense. Just for a split second.

I've talked about this a lot with my parents and my friends, but I haven't really gone into it in depth. To be honest, I'm worried they might think I'm sort of crazy! It feels like everyone has thoughts like this to an extend, but that I'm on the extreme side. I sometimes worry that it will turn into depression or a psycotic melt down or something (my uncle has had a melt down before, and is possibly in a depressif state. Is this kind of thing hereditary?)

Anyway, thank you for reading this and please leave a comment! Do you feel this as well? Is this normal? What are your opinions on this matter? What do you think I should do: pursue my trying to decipher my thoughts during those split seconds or try really living in moment?

Thank you! Anything will be appreciated

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: So confused with my spiritual beliefs... - March 6th 2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
This is going to be confusing and muddled but please just bear with me.
It's been a couple of years since I've really been exploring my thoughts and ideas about our existence in a spiritual context, and it's just confusing me more and more, I have so many different theories about what we are and what is real and what isn't... it actually scares me.

About six months ago I got into this mind set where to me, everything was like a game. All beings on earth were programmed to act a certain way, to feel certain things, and to just make the game go round. I was in this state of being more present in my "what-if" thoughts than in my real physical feelings. I was kind of detatched from my emotions and senses. This lasted for a month, and it wasn't exactly depression because it didn't make me feel negative feelings, but it didn't make me feel positive feelings either. It was like I was floating somewhere else, in my mind, and I only came back to my physical body when I had to, to interract with other people, etc.

That phase is over now, but I still constantly wonder, in short, "What is all of this? Is the unierse real? Are atoms real? Am I real? Just... what?!" I do strongly believe in there being some kind of force, almost godly in the sense that it is everywhere and powerful, but not in the "perfect being" kind of sense. It just confuses me so much, there are so many different possibilities... I believe in so many different theories, and all of them contradict eachother.

It's strange, but when I'm bored in the classroom and I have nothing physical to do, I drift off in this kind of state where I'm questioning our whole existence, and it's like for a split second I get so overwhelmed that I kind of trick myself into not recognising anything around me, so all the sounds and the shapes and the smells and the tastes become nothing, I can't decipher anything, writing makes no sense, even language makes no sense. Just for a split second.

I've talked about this a lot with my parents and my friends, but I haven't really gone into it in depth. To be honest, I'm worried they might think I'm sort of crazy! It feels like everyone has thoughts like this to an extend, but that I'm on the extreme side. I sometimes worry that it will turn into depression or a psycotic melt down or something (my uncle has had a melt down before, and is possibly in a depressif state. Is this kind of thing hereditary?)

Anyway, thank you for reading this and please leave a comment! Do you feel this as well? Is this normal? What are your opinions on this matter? What do you think I should do: pursue my trying to decipher my thoughts during those split seconds or try really living in moment?

Thank you! Anything will be appreciated
I think there comes a point in everyone's life where they begin to question the fundamental building blocks of life. In fact, I'd argue, scientists never lost that sense of wonder, where most people suppress it.

Several years ago I was in a similar situation. However, I began to delve more into a depressive and reclusive state. Honestly, I haven't really recovered from it, but I've come to the point where I realized something: How important are these questions to your over all functioning? They're not. In other words, we can choose to ignore them because we can function without these ideas.

Let me give you an example, in science, many times there are things that exist, but we choose to ignore them. Look at a solid. A solid actually has a wave length, exactly like light. However, you cannot see this wave because it's frequency is so insignificant that it does not matter -- so, in most sciences, we can choose to ignore this.

My point is, there's no real reason to get hung up on these questions, as they don't seem to affect our well-being or existence. What if god is real? What if atoms don't exist? What if this is all a dream? It really doesn't matter because we go on living the same way whether they exist, or not.

But, let me entertain your ideas. Your questions and reasoning is actually impeccably logical. Language makes no sense. Neither do shapes, or the things we see. In fact, let me tell you something. Most of what you see is actually transparent. However, the way the light hits objects it gives it shape. That is, we can shoot particles through almost anything because it is essentially not even there. Our mind creates recognition with things to make sense of the world. But, most of what you see, your mind has literally created.

In essence, this idea that we don't have freewill is, in a sense, true. Biologically we are already wired a certain way. They is, of course, a way to alter our DNA, and change who we are, but the philosophical question is still a reasonable one.

I, sometimes, do the same thing you do. Especially if I am intoxicated with something. I will sit there and realize how ridiculous everything is. I mean, when you think about speech. People are literally just making groans and moans out of their mouth and we recognize it as being meaningful. It's kind of hilarious.

All in all, I'd tell you, don't worry about it. If it sparks your curiosity, don't erase it entirely, but don't let it affect your grades, your studies, or your life, because in the grand scheme of things, it's not very significant. However, keep your natural curiosity because asking these questions is how you begin to think as an individual, and not as a robot. It gives you original thoughts, and discoveries.

The questions I'd ask myself is, is this going to affect how I make decisions in my life? Is it going to affect how I live? If not, it's probably not worth dwelling on. It's not, however, stupid to THINK about them, but don't let it handicap you.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread