TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Can/Should Husbands Respect Their Wives? - August 17th 2015, 08:47 PM

My boyfriend & I are having quite the heated debate about this. From a Christian standpoint, the bible says that wives must respect their husbands & husbands are to love their wives. Does that mean husbands can't respect their wives & wives have to let their husbands make all the decisions? My boyfriend has interpreted this to mean he does not have to respect me, although he has to treat me with respect. I am aware of the difference & it is extremely bothersome to me that Christianity would put women below men in this instance. I deserve just as much respect as my boyfriend does, the only difference is I'm a girl.

Opinions?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Can/Should Husbands Respect Their Wives? - August 17th 2015, 11:20 PM

I don't really know how to answer this, but the Bible says to love your neighbor as yourself. He should treat you as he wants to be treated.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Can/Should Husbands Respect Their Wives? - August 18th 2015, 12:21 AM

I am not aware of the difference, so if you could explain I would appreciate it.

As a married woman myself I think mutual respect is required of a healthy loving marriage. A man can not truly love a woman without respecting her, in my personal opinion.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Can/Should Husbands Respect Their Wives? - August 18th 2015, 12:34 AM

The difference is that he will treat me well but never fully respect me on an equal level because I'm a woman.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: Can/Should Husbands Respect Their Wives? - August 18th 2015, 12:42 AM

That's just wrong. ANY couple, regardless of gender, should be treated with respect and care. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Can/Should Husbands Respect Their Wives? - August 18th 2015, 12:51 AM

You would think that is common sense but apparently because the "bible doesn't say to respect your wife", he won't respect me. He has treated me well up until recently so it's not like he doesn't respect me in that way. But it bothers the heck out of me that I'm not respected because I'm a woman. I've never had this issue with any guy I've dated. Just wanted opinions from Christians since I was not raised that way so I'm not very traditional.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Can/Should Husbands Respect Their Wives? - August 18th 2015, 01:32 AM

You could turn this around on him and say it doesn't say you have to love him, just respect him. Really though it should be a given that he should respect you even if the bible doesn't explicitly say so. I mean it doesn't say he shouldn't respect you either? I understand why people live by the bible, but obviously it's not going to have all the tiny details of what you should do in your life, those should be common sense. It's probably best to drop this argument and trust that he does respect you, as Lizzie said, respect has to be there in order for love to be as well.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Can/Should Husbands Respect Their Wives? - August 18th 2015, 01:45 AM

Ephesians 5:28

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Can/Should Husbands Respect Their Wives? - August 18th 2015, 05:40 AM

Ew.

I don't think love is possible without respect, to me it is a necessary attribute of love. Women are no longer property being sold in exchange for three cows...I feel it's pretty backwards to consider us less human than a man to not deserve to be respected. That's old fashioned in all the wrong ways.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Can/Should Husbands Respect Their Wives? - August 18th 2015, 02:29 PM

I'd recommend you use common sense. Or...
Love your wife but treat her like a lower life form, and see how far that gets you. :P

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Can/Should Husbands Respect Their Wives? - August 31st 2015, 07:49 PM

Three points I'd raise in respect of this (admittedly a bit late to the party, but what the heck):

1) Paul's letters were all directed towards a particular congregation, at a particular point in time, for a particular reason (e.g. in the case of Corinth, because it was going to Hell in a handcart...). In the case of Ephesus, it was probably mentioned by Paul because (a) husbands weren't loving their wives as they should and (b) wives weren't respecting their husbands. Expanding that into all-encompassing doctrine is therefore quite a leap of logic, and not really supported by the wider canon of the Bible.

2) What difference is there between "respecting someone" and "treating someone with respect"? If you don't respect someone in the first place, it is rather difficult to treat them with respect. One rather begets the other. Likewise, loving someone requires that you respect them so by definition respecting your wife has to be part and parcel of the equation. So to me this seems a bit of an exercise in semantics.

3) Seriously, what happened to using common sense?

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Closed Thread