TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f39-religion-spirituality-science-philosophy/)
-   -   What is your favorite field of science, and why? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f39-religion-spirituality-science-philosophy/t141165-what-your-favorite-field-science-why/)

ThisWillDestroyYou October 15th 2015 06:31 PM

What is your favorite field of science, and why?

Hi science lovers!

I was just thinking about this for myself, and I am really unable to decide! What about you? What is your favorite field of science, and why?

It can be math, biology, physics, chemistry, sociology, psychology, computer science, mechanical engineering, astrophysics, whatever! What branch do you enjoy studying? What branch fascinates you the most, though you might not understand it?

Now that I think about it more, I think I really enjoy math. Coincidentally, however, I don't enjoy pure math, rather, I enjoy applied math. I love how it beautifully unifies all branches of science under it. It explains everything. I also love how much people STRUGGLE with it. It expands the mind, and teaches people how to think logically, abstractly, and critically. Even if you hate science. Math shows you how to think on a subconscious level.

Anyways, share your experiences. :)

Lizzie October 15th 2015 06:41 PM

Re: What is your favorite field of science, and why?

As a psychology major, that has to be my favorite field of science. But I am also really interested in forensics as well as anthropology. Learning about people in general, from a more scientific point of view (sorry sociology) I find very interesting. But overall, I enjoy academia as a whole.

ninasju October 15th 2015 07:02 PM

This is a good question, I really think my answer would have to be biology. Mainly because I'm really interested in evolution, how the subject connects to psychology, anatomy and even astronomy... Biology to me feels like there's no limit to knowledge and no limit to how interesting and fascinating learning can be, especially about things we think we're aware of (and how far the inspiration can take my ideas)

Celyn October 15th 2015 07:23 PM

I want to say psychology, but I have only studied a small amount. I just found it fascinating and I guess, for me, it helped me understand myself and my life more.

I did really enjoy biology and chemistry in school and am always interested in the latest developments in studying diseases and medicine. That said, I found chemistry to involve a lot of maths, which I wasn't good at all, and wasn't too keen on dissecting things in biology either :p

cynefin October 15th 2015 07:26 PM

I like Psychology. I'm interested in going into it for a career someday as I want to be a trauma therapist. I also like Criminology/Criminal Science. I started getting interested in it a few years ago and I took classes on it last year. Some people in my family were in law enforcement so I guess it runs in the family. :p

Astrophile. October 15th 2015 07:39 PM

Sociology and criminology, most definitely. I enjoy learning about social aspects to someone's life and what motivates them to do certain things.

Jesus Christ. October 15th 2015 07:57 PM

As if psychology and sociology are sciences >.>

I find biology the most interesting.

Lizzie October 15th 2015 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesus Christ. (Post 1206981)
As if psychology and sociology are sciences >.>

I find biology the most interesting.

You better be joking about psychology not being a science. :glare:

I'll give you sociology though. :bleh:

Gingerbread Latte October 15th 2015 08:58 PM

Since I'm a Biomedical Science graduate I'd have to say that :p

Specifically the field of immunology, the immune system is one of the most fascinating things I can think of to study! :D

MyVisionIsDying October 15th 2015 11:42 PM

It's got to be astronomy (and cosmology and astrophysics etc.) for me, hands down. Although in school we only studied chemistry, biology and physics (and that was all categorised as Science) for GCSEs for my last two years, in the small amount learning about other parts of science for the other three anything space related caught my interest on the spot.

Lexify. October 16th 2015 04:05 AM

I like Psychology and Criminology.

_Headphones_ October 16th 2015 08:22 AM

I didn't know psychology was science. But I'm going to major in it so I guess that's my favorite.

Adam the Fish October 17th 2015 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzie (Post 1206982)

You better be joking about psychology not being a science. :glare:

I'll give you sociology though. :bleh:

Can I have economics? :hehe:

Technically a "social science" but I personally think that's a bit of a misnomer; it's far from a science, as we really should learn.

Computer science fascinates me, particularly the potential of AI and automation. I find it so exciting to imagine the possibilities there - and it of course links in with the aforementioned interest in economics pretty neatly. I think my lifetime is going to be a pretty cool time for advancements in AI and I for one am hoping we manage it carefully and in a long-term beneficial way for humanity as a whole.

Coffee. October 17th 2015 02:42 AM

Social sciences are sciences. :p Soft sciences, yes, but still utilize the theories of science.

Is public health a science? I'd say so, even if it doesn't end with "ology." :dem: That's what I'm studying, so it's obviously my favorite. But I also studied psychology in undergraduate, and I really like the subfield of epidemiology, although my focus in public health is behavioral health.

Lizzie October 17th 2015 01:50 PM

I don't think people who aren't psych majors know how much math is involved with psychology.

iso October 17th 2015 05:23 PM

I think neuroscience, physiology as well as astronomy and quantum physics are my favorites. I love those since they help us get a better understanding of ourselves, while astronomy and quantum physics expands our already known knowledge. Also, space is freakin' rad, and quantum physics is the most interesting thing in the whole Universe.

Fading Light. October 18th 2015 12:13 AM

I'm a fan of the softer sciences - biology is probably my favourite, but I'm also interested in some of the social sciences. Any of the more maths-based sciences (like chemistry, physics, all the sciences I deliberately didn't take in high school) tend to lose my interest, but that said I could handle the level of maths we had to do in my biology degree (which was a fair amount, given all the experimental design and analysis we had to do). However, my guilty pleasure is actually cryptozoology, which is about as far as you can get from a legitimate science while still sounding vaguely real. :p

Disclosure. October 18th 2015 07:52 AM

There's so many fields of science that I liked learning about:

Zoology
Astronomy
Earth Science
Psychology
Sociology
Criminology

I have a huge respect for those that are doing Medical Science.

Jesus Christ. October 18th 2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *~Glittery Queer~* (Post 1207236)
I'm a fan of the softer sciences - biology is probably my favourite

Biology is a hard science.

AMA on teenhelp October 18th 2015 12:23 PM

cp s 4 life

RadioSerenade October 18th 2015 09:51 PM

My favourite fields of science would be anthropology and sociology, because they are much more catered towards the way humanity works rather than the way the world works. We have long learned that humanity is one of the greatest threats to the non-human world.

jamdoughnut October 19th 2015 11:30 AM

Biology and astronomy, love them both

Hypothesis. October 20th 2015 04:53 AM

Social sciences like health sciences and psychology! They are just what I relate with more and what I do with my life.

Adam the Fish October 21st 2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzie (Post 1207188)
I don't think people who aren't psych majors know how much math is involved with psychology.

Stats. As someone whose entire education is now maths in different forms, I can confirm that stats is only marginally less hellish than triangles.

Coffee. October 21st 2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam the Fish (Post 1207790)

Stats. As someone whose entire education is now maths in different forms, I can confirm that stats is only marginally less hellish than triangles.

But unlike triangles, statistics is useful and interesting. D: I guess triangles are interesting to some subset of scholars. Good for them. We need them, and I'll continue being a social scientist somewhere else. :hehe:

Adam the Fish October 21st 2015 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee. (Post 1207792)

But unlike triangles, statistics is useful and interesting. D: I guess triangles are interesting to some subset of scholars. Good for them. We need them, and I'll continue being a social scientist somewhere else. :hehe:

Triangles are absolutely fascinating, and stats is the most useful mathematics to apply to my everyday life right now. Doesn't stop them being horrible. :dem:

Lizzie October 21st 2015 08:22 PM

I am currently taking my quantitative course for my major and I am dying. Stats is extremely difficult. The entire field of psychology revolves around math.

Coffee. October 21st 2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam the Fish (Post 1207795)

Triangles are absolutely fascinating, and stats is the most useful mathematics to apply to my everyday life right now. Doesn't stop them being horrible. :dem:

It can def be horrible at times. But I never get out of a class talking about triangles thinking, "Well, that'll be useful!" Pain with no gain. D:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzie (Post 1207796)
I am currently taking my quantitative course for my major and I am dying. Stats is extremely difficult. The entire field of psychology revolves around math.

Oh yeah, quant stuff is the worst. It's so fascinating and useful, but definitely a struggle and I am not good at it. I'm currently in a Biostatistics for Health Sciences class and it is equally kicking my butt. Team Social Scientists, we still do math. :dem: