TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stephe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephe

A weird dream - February 28th 2016, 04:01 PM

So, about a decade ago, I had one of the first dreams that I could remember, and I still do to this day. I was in a black room, and there was a white box; it was glowing. I walked over to the box and it was just a simple, white square. I opened the box and a white, ghost-like figure jumped out. I woke up. I am not sure what this represents?

I have had dreams similar to this, which happened recently. I was in the car with my mom, and we stopped at a gas station. There was this man hiding behind the dumpster, and I could see him from our car. I told my mom, but it was like she couldn't hear me. The guy ran over, opened the door and grabbed me and ran off with me, I woke up. The next night I had a similar dream. My mom and I were sitting in a hotel room, and I looked out the window. I saw the man's fingers, since he was hanging on to the concrete that was in front of the window. He pulled himself up, crashed the window. Then he preceded, to grab me and take me again. I haven't had these dreams in a while now- I probably will tonight since I just mentioned it

Does anyone know what these dreams mean, I feel like it means I am scared to go away from my family or like scared to be stopped from doing something.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: A weird dream - February 28th 2016, 10:38 PM

There's a lot of theory to what dreams are. However, science tells us that they are most likely random neuronal firings that are trying to organize themselves into a story. In other words, you may have thought about a hotel, gas station, dumpster, kidnappings, and this man at some point in the day. Your brain has all these neuronal firings about these events and links them into a story.

Frightening dreams can be caused by your brain trying to see how you respond in a threatening situation. It's a process of evolution, and makes perfect sense with the way we've evolved. Your brain wants you to be able to experience various scenarios so that if they were to happen, you'd know how to respond.

However, that being said, when it comes to recurring nightmares, psychologists recommend that you imagine the scenario, and dwell on it. But, when you get to the end of the dream, think about changing it. If this becomes an ongoing process your dreams will tend to change their ending to the form that you gave it.

As far as applying a meaning to them, it's hard to say because as aforementioned, they could just be random neuronal firings that really have nothing to do with each other other than random thoughts you've had.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stephe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephe

Re: A weird dream - February 29th 2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Rye View Post
There's a lot of theory to what dreams are. However, science tells us that they are most likely random neuronal firings that are trying to organize themselves into a story. In other words, you may have thought about a hotel, gas station, dumpster, kidnappings, and this man at some point in the day. Your brain has all these neuronal firings about these events and links them into a story.

Frightening dreams can be caused by your brain trying to see how you respond in a threatening situation. It's a process of evolution, and makes perfect sense with the way we've evolved. Your brain wants you to be able to experience various scenarios so that if they were to happen, you'd know how to respond.

However, that being said, when it comes to recurring nightmares, psychologists recommend that you imagine the scenario, and dwell on it. But, when you get to the end of the dream, think about changing it. If this becomes an ongoing process your dreams will tend to change their ending to the form that you gave it.

As far as applying a meaning to them, it's hard to say because as aforementioned, they could just be random neuronal firings that really have nothing to do with each other other than random thoughts you've had.
Thanks! This helped a lot

Closed Thread