TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kay

Christians: Is being gay a sin? - April 2nd 2016, 07:10 PM

I know some Christian denominations believe that being gay is wrong, but some churches will have LGBTQ support groups and are accepting... I just don't understand how some people pick and choose things from the bible... We all wear mixed cotton, cut the sides of our hair, and we don't stone people.

Can anyone tell me the passages that are against being gay and how/why some Christians are very accepting of it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Button Eyes Offline
Ba la la la la la la

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Coraline Jones

Re: Christians: Is being gay a sin? - April 2nd 2016, 07:42 PM

I do not know of any passages, as I haven't read the bible :P Yes, I'm a bad Christian.

However, it's just different churches do different things, it all depends on the congregation, reverend, denominations, or a combination of two of the three, or all three. At least as far as I know.

If I could have any superpower right now,
it would be to be able to go through that screen and give you a big hug."

Community Mentor / Hugger Extraordinaire

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Christians: Is being gay a sin? - April 2nd 2016, 08:07 PM

The old testament was written in ancient Hebrew. It isn't about picking and choosing, it is about interpreting. I know the section about the two cities (don't know the English words butGod wanted to destroy the 2 cities for sins) the bible mentions sins that can be interpreted many ways. It can mean those cities men were committing rape, not homosexual sex and based on translation. It isn't picking and choosing or people wouldn't devote so much time to trying to decipher the bible if it weren't ambiguous. It is very ambiguous.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Christians: Is being gay a sin? - April 2nd 2016, 09:02 PM

Let me start by saying that I consider myself a Christian and I don't believe it's a sin because we have more and more proof that people are born the way they are so that doesn't even make sense. I think the passage quoted most by people who believe that it is a sin is probably:

Leviticus 18:22

"Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin."

There are probably others, but this is the most obvious. I DON'T agree, but this is probably what they're using. Sin or not, our job as Christians is to "Love one another", and leave the judging to God.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Christians: Is being gay a sin? - April 3rd 2016, 04:04 AM

I'm not well-versed in the actual Bible. But here goes.
While it says that ^(Leviticus 18:22) in the Bible, that is right alongside other verses that say "don't get tattoos", "don't eat shrimp", "don't wear blended clothing"... Sure hope you aren't wearing polyester/cotton clothing. Some of the rules are so arbitrary, and there are so many of them, that it would be impossible to follow them all.
Google "LGBT saints". You might be surprised to find that there are Christian LGBT saints, even a few gay couples (like Saints Serge and St. Bacchus). Something people don't talk about: Christianity used to have some sort of same-sex partnership, and there is even evidence that it was equal a marriage. Like there would be a ceremony where a priest and a best man would preside over the couple (or "friends", according to people in denial) and bless their relationship while they held a Bible and a cross, then they'd kiss. While cultures might differ, that sounds like marriage because heterosexuals did the same thing.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half
I've been here a while

Name: Raven

Re: Christians: Is being gay a sin? - April 3rd 2016, 05:11 AM

I don't believe it is a sin although majority of my church does. Leviticus has a lot of rules in it, and people normally use the homosexual rule from there, but it's kind of stupid as there as there are so many other rules which we completely ignore like divorce or eating shrimp or mixing fabrics. They are all rules which we totally ignore, but then when Christians are asked why they will say it's because it is from the old testament and the rules were scrapped when Jesus died for us so the rules no longer apply. Yet they still use Leviticus rules for homosexuality. I'm sure they will probably have other verses from other parts of the bible, I know there is one that is commonly used which I am not sure where it is but it is something about a man should not lie with another man, but that rule is talking about rape so it can't be applied to this even though people use it.

The thing is, its all about the context and interpretation. A lot of people take the verses out of context so it means something different from what it is meant to mean, like the Leviticus rules were actually for a specific church as it was in chaos, but they were not meant to be applied to other churches.

I am only accepting of it as there is more and more evidence coming out that people are born like that, and if it was a choice why would so many people choose to be hated for being gay? No one chooses to be different, its something that we cannot control. Seeing as I'm pretty queer myself, I can still love God and be different. I don't see how it affects anything in the relationship. The second commandment is to love your neighbour as you love yourself, the commandment directly after loving God. That means its a pretty important commandment, yet people ignore it as soon as they see someone who in their eyes is a sinner. Even in being gay was a sin, you are still supposed to love the person regardless. Jesus hung out with sinners all the time, he didn't look down on them or treat them any differently, so why do we?

Well that's what I believe anyway.
Take care.

19.12.15|14.07.16|11.2.17
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Latibule Offline
Just a girl

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Christians: Is being gay a sin? - April 3rd 2016, 05:59 AM

There is a verse in the bible that states it's a sin.

But I do not consider it a sin because why would god make me gay if he was just going to send me to hell when I die. Just like I don't think committing suicide will send me to hell because god chose for me to die that way.

I believe it's all up to an individual

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself"
|Member 2007|Community Mentor|
|PM/VM|

Send a message via AIM to Latibule Send a message via Yahoo to Latibule Send a message via Skype™ to Latibule 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
jamdoughnut Offline
my other ride's a rainicorn
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jam

Re: Christians: Is being gay a sin? - April 3rd 2016, 04:06 PM

It amazes me to see how many times people ask this question, and yet people do not understand.

it IS NOT a sin to be gay. These laws in the old testament that they're talking about were written thousands of years ago for the JEWISH people, not for Christians. Similar to how Christians are now able to eat pork while Jews could not, these rules were scrapped with Jesus' coming, teachings, and his death for us. Again, like they said before, there is more and more evidence that people are born this way and that they cannot change how they are, so it doesn't make sense to punish them for being themselves, and being different. We are accepting of it because we are taught to love all people, as Jesus did, and being gay doesn't make you any less human. So, we're gonna love you the same, no matter what.
However, it IS a sin to act on this. There is a huge difference between just being gay, and acting on it. Once that line is crossed, it is then considered a sin. (And this is official, by the Catholic church. I'm not sure about other denominations, but I know that most churches follow this same rule of thumb.) And though they characterize this "acting on it" as mostly having gay sex, this could be different for everyone and it applies to everyone differently, so don't just assume that everything about it and everything that you do is considered a sin.

I know you are looking for a sea that lies beyond your reach
But im hoping my heart can stop you before you reach the beach
I know you have places to go
I know that you want the sea
But im hoping my heart will grow and that you'll
come back to me.....

(#9 (permalink)) Old
~Abibliophobe~ Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Christians: Is being gay a sin? - April 3rd 2016, 06:03 PM

I don't believe it's a sin but one church I went to talked about this and said that people are born into sin. They are born sinners. So, while people might be born gay that's just the sin they were born into.

I didn't particularly agree with this but churches are always going to find ways to explain why certain things are sins.

There is a lot talk about homosexuality but there are only like 6 passages that discuss it. And, in some cases, the bible used the word effeminate which was then changed to homosexuality. And, the definition of effeminate is having the characteristics that are womanly. Being unmanly. So, I suppose it could have been referring to homosexuality the whole entire time but its a weird change.

I only realized this after reading my bible and then comparing it to another bible I had. One said effeminate in certain passages and one said homosexuality.

I am not a practicing christian. I believe in God but I don't go to church because I feel like it's a cult and I've never been able to find churches that don't condemn homosexuality.

There are books out there about this topic. Matthew Vines or something like that has one or two books. I want to read them but I end up forgetting to.

I'd also like to add that the bible has been translated numerous times and like anything that has been translated certain things can get mixed up or said in the wrong way. I don't put much weight on the bible as a whole.

Do you love books or are you having trouble finding books to read? Come check out my blog where I will discuss all things books:
https://abibliophobe1989.wordpress.com/blog/
If you like what you see please follow!

Closed Thread