TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kane Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kane Meiir

afraid to talk about, and express my beliefs - April 11th 2016, 05:39 AM

I'm afraid to admit to my father and the rest of the family that I currently live with that I am Wicca. I was raised in a Muslim household with a bit of Christianity from my mom's side sprinkled in, I live with my father and he still claims to be Muslim, although he is not practicing. It is against his religion to take part in many Wicca-related activities and he constantly looks down upon those who are Wiccan themselves. I am solidary because of the fact I could never tell him that I have these beliefs. Overall I'm just uncomfortable with being unable to express myself and my beliefs in my own household.

Last edited by Kane; April 11th 2016 at 08:12 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: afraid to talk about, and express my beliefs - April 11th 2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
I'm afraid to admit to my father and the rest of the family that I currently live with that I am Wicca. I was raised in a Muslim household with a bit of Christianity from my mom's side sprinkled in, I live with my father and he still claims to be Muslim, although he is not practicing. It is against his religion to take part in many Wicca-related activities and he constantly looks down upon those who are Wiccan themselves. I am solidary becausee of the fact I could never tell him that I have these beliefs. Overall I'm just unvomfortable with being unable to express myself and my beliefs in my own household.
Hey there Welcome to the TeenHelp.

Typically answers to these questions aren't so black-and-white and are really best for you to decide what to do. When religious values differ in a family, sometimes its left best NOT to tell them depending on how fundamental in their beliefs they are.

The best you can do is test the waters and get your families opinions on various Wiccan ideas, and if they seem put off, it's best not to to tell them. I know this can weigh down on you, as I had a similar experience. In fact, I am much older now and my family still doesn't really know the depths of my religious views.

Eventually this feeling of needing to tell them will probably wear off. I found that my needing to identify as an atheist, Christian, agnostic, or whatever, was rooted in needing to 'belong.' I realized that defining myself as one or the other, and making that public, really doesn't matter. I can identify as one or the other and make my practices or non-practices as private as I want. Your religion doesn't define YOU.

I think once I realized religious identity isn't what makes me, me, but is just part of me is what helped.

In the end, this is totally up to you as a few paragraphs really isn't enough for us to assess the situation. You know your family better than words on a screen could describe them. The important thing is that if you decide to tell them, do it gently, and don't ever look back wishing you did things different.

If/when you tell them and if/when you need support you're always welcome to come back. It's just my opinion that there's no real need to tell them. Especially since religious identies tend to change over time. Maybe you're Wiccan now, and can't imagine ever being anything else, but if you told me 10 years ago that I'd be an atheist, I'd say no way.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread