TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Is God real... - May 27th 2016, 02:28 AM

Ok so, I'm having a whole lot of problems with my faith.
One simple question if God is real then why is he allowing all these horrible things to happen to me and other people.

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. ~Oscar Wilde.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jacob

Re: Is God real... - May 27th 2016, 07:04 AM

Okay so I'm an agnostic theist, where basically I took the leap of faith, so I believe in the God but not the Bible. Questioning your faith is completely normal, and any sensible person questions their faith at some point.

There will never be any real proof that God exists, at least not the way the Bible left it. The Bible is all about "free will"-meaning you can control your thoughts and actions. As God does not want to force anyone to believe in him, there will never be any significant proof (though why a perfect, thus ALWAYS perfect, God decided to change his mind after Jesus' miracles and Noah's flood, which both were partly to help convert people, its up to you...).

"Why do bad things happen to good people?" will get you a variety of different answers for each person you ask. One is said "free will", and as God cannot force people's actions, bad things could happen by bad people. Another answer is that "nobody is truly good", but would you really want to put your faith in a revenge seeking God who should know nobody but him is perfect, is once again up to you. Also remember the Bible never guarantees that faith in Jesus and such could result in a good life...it merely says it will get you more "points" in heaven, but why then would he force people to believe in him just so they could get into heaven, what about "free will"? Well, another plot hole.

Does God exist? It's really up to you. Whether you want to take that leap of faith and believe in him should only be decided by YOU. And whether you want to not believe in the New Testemant (Jewish) or a branching path (Islam), or believe the Bible as a holy book (standard Christianity), it's up to YOU. Chances are, somebody has that belief too. Good luck, and sorry if I made you question your faith more (I tend to point out plot holes).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Is God real... - May 27th 2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUnfortunately View Post
Okay so I'm an agnostic theist, where basically I took the leap of faith, so I believe in the God but not the Bible. Questioning your faith is completely normal, and any sensible person questions their faith at some point.

There will never be any real proof that God exists, at least not the way the Bible left it. The Bible is all about "free will"-meaning you can control your thoughts and actions. As God does not want to force anyone to believe in him, there will never be any significant proof (though why a perfect, thus ALWAYS perfect, God decided to change his mind after Jesus' miracles and Noah's flood, which both were partly to help convert people, its up to you...).

"Why do bad things happen to good people?" will get you a variety of different answers for each person you ask. One is said "free will", and as God cannot force people's actions, bad things could happen by bad people. Another answer is that "nobody is truly good", but would you really want to put your faith in a revenge seeking God who should know nobody but him is perfect, is once again up to you. Also remember the Bible never guarantees that faith in Jesus and such could result in a good life...it merely says it will get you more "points" in heaven, but why then would he force people to believe in him just so they could get into heaven, what about "free will"? Well, another plot hole.

Does God exist? It's really up to you. Whether you want to take that leap of faith and believe in him should only be decided by YOU. And whether you want to not believe in the New Testemant (Jewish) or a branching path (Islam), or believe the Bible as a holy book (standard Christianity), it's up to YOU. Chances are, somebody has that belief too. Good luck, and sorry if I made you question your faith more (I tend to point out plot holes).
Thanks! This made me think, in a good way lol

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. ~Oscar Wilde.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Is God real... - May 27th 2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Ok so, I'm having a whole lot of problems with my faith.
One simple question if God is real then why is he allowing all these horrible things to happen to me and other people.
First, what 'God' are you talking about? I ask because a 'God's existence doesn't dependent upon whether it is good or not. That is, God could be evil. Thus, assuming God doesn't exist solely because bad things happen is a logical fallacy.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Is God real... - May 27th 2016, 09:01 PM

I'm Catholic, but I don't agree with the Catholic Church on all their policies. And I definitely don't take too much stock in the Bible, I just kinda pick and choose the things that are obviously good from the things that are obviously bad.
I tend to think about these types of spiritual questions in terms of dimensional science. Scientists like Stephen Hawking tend to agree that there are more than just the 3 dimensions we typically think about. So here we go:
Imagine you're drawing on a piece of paper. The 0th dimension is a dot. Just a dot. The 1st dimension would be used if you connected that dot to another dot with a line. A line=the 1st dimension. It connected two 0th dimensional dots. For the 2nd dimension, draw two more lines to make a triangle. Now you can make shapes, and on a piece of paper, that would be the 2nd dimension. The 2nd dimension manipulated dots [i]and[i] lines. Now, we are three dimensional creatures: we have depth and scientific laws that govern how we interact with our 3D world. We can manipulate 3D objects as well as the 2D, 1D, and 0D.
But what about the 4th dimension? Scientists largely agree that the 4th dimension is time. We have NO way to manipulate the 4th dimension. The 4th dimension manipulates us, but we can't stop time, go forward in time, or go back in time; we can only go with time (steadily forward). We have not found a way to change that yet. But if you notice, every human is essentially a god of dimensions 0-3: we can create and destroy as much as we are able. However, the dimensions go past dimension #4. I don't understand or remember what the 5th dimension is (maybe it had something to do with light or gravity), but if I remember correctly, the 6th dimension deals with parallel universes. So theoretically, if we learned how to manipulate time, maybe we could also find a way to manipulate the 6th dimension and travel to parallel universes.
Anyway, my point is this: you know how all the higher dimensions can interact with the lower dimensions, but the lower dimensions can't interact back with the higher dimensions? Thats how I imagine the question of God is. I watched a video on this stuff that made a guess that God was in the 7th dimension (which didn't make sense to me, because they talked about ten dimensions, and I REALLY can't remember what they're for). So God could then be able to manipulate our 3D world.
Another thing to keep in mind is the Big Bang. That is the most likely start to our universe. But you have remember: the Big Bang started with one atom. But how did that atom get there? The Law of Conservation of Matter says that matter cannot be CREATED or destroyed. Therefore, what I believe happened is that a force from another dimension (I believe it is God) created that atom and set everything into motion in the 3rd dimension. And I don't think God just did that once, because like I said about parallel universes, God most likely did it multiple times in multiple universes.
I don't know if God (or gods, I don't know what's out there) is anything like you'll ever read about in a religious book. I rather doubt that because this dimensional science shit is way too complicated for me to imagine God simply saying, "Hmm... this Pharaoh bothered me. Kill every first-born!!!". But you know what, I just subscribe to Catholicism anyway. Keep my family happy, still believe in a Trinitarian God.
I realize I didn't answer your question about why God let's bad things happen. Well... I don't know. Lets just say I'm not going to try to fathom a 7th dimensional being, but I just strongly believe God created us.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Don't you know you're lovely?
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jenny

Re: Is God real... - June 6th 2016, 05:15 PM

I can't say definitively that "god" is real. But I do know that I've had horrible problems with "god's" followers. They've not been nice to me. So, if we are made in "his" image doesn't that mean he's the same way? And also think about the old testament. Do you really want to worship a god that condones genocide and sexual violence? I for one do not.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Wesley Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Wesley Tucker

Re: Is God real... - June 7th 2016, 06:26 AM

I say no, because, do you really think there is a greater being looking down on us? No, i really dont think so. Sorry if i offend people please dont take this personally, i think its a bunch of crap.

Closed Thread