TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Question Religious Persons Stalking Me? - December 3rd 2016, 12:40 PM

Why is it that religious people/groups/persons walk up to you and start talking about some information in this handout there trying to give you? I've been followed by them and while at the bus stop they come up out of nowhere scaring me with all these things that I am not really interested in.

Why do they do this? I'm close in calling the police because this morning they were driving around then parked and a lady got out of her car and walked over to me. I mean the car had 4 of them inside.

I'm not religious but why do they need to do this? I see many stand at bus stations but they never try to stop them to have a conversation.

I see it as illegal soliciting.

I'm trying to understand the concept before reporting the next unwanted "friendly chat" to police after I say I am not interested they proceed.

I really appreciate any response.

Sorry for the weird title I'm not sure what to really call it.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Religious Persons Stalking Me? - December 3rd 2016, 03:41 PM

It's part of some religions to spread the gospel. I actually attended a friends service once where the pastor encouraged their people to call up family and friends to talk about Jesus. Specifically those people who didn't follow Christianity. I personally thought this was very rude. But a lot of different faiths teach this.

Just try to politely decline. And if they don't stop bothering you, say you will call the police. They should take 'no' the first time. If they don't, that can be seen as harassment.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Religious Persons Stalking Me? - December 3rd 2016, 04:32 PM

Like Lizzie said, a lot of faiths teach that evangelism is a required part of the faith. Remember, they're convinced you're going to Hell if you don't agree, and they're trying to "save" you. It's like when Jahovah's Witnesses come to the door ( and I pretend to not be home.) It might be protected under free speech for them to do this, but if they don't leave you alone after you decline, then it's harassment. See if they do it to other people around you before calling the police, it's probably not just you. Of course if they're following you and/or you feel threatened, you can always call.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Religious Persons Stalking Me? - December 3rd 2016, 06:34 PM

That is the thing. I am scared I may react and end up hitting them. I've been followed before to a bus stop and they catch up and touch my arm. I am sensitive to unwanted touching and in public (because I was violently attacked) that I may turn around and hit them.

But the fact they are driving around looking for people at bus stops to park and walk over to do there thing.

I respect them but they need to take into account that not everyone likes this. For me it's threatening my danger and then I am tense, people someone randomly came from behind and touched my shoulder or arm. Today the lady walked towards me I saw her. Even when I said I am not interested she continued to talk, I believe the third time she left.

I might call the police to explain it all, maybe they can talk to them. The car is easy to find, looks like a British car.

I reported what happened to police. But she said it's all about freedom of speech. Everyone is entitled to that, but if someone says they are not interested they should leave it as that and walk away.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Religious Persons Stalking Me? - December 3rd 2016, 07:28 PM

Hey there,

It's unfortunate that they aren't respecting your wishes. I think that a lot of religious people are really pushy. A couple years ago I was getting ready to drive somewhere and these two Jehovah's Witnesses came up and started talking. I told them I wasn't interested and already went to church and they seemed to respect me after that. Maybe telling a little white lie and saying that you go to church will get them to leave you alone.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Religious Persons Stalking Me? - December 3rd 2016, 11:59 PM

My ex told some of these people we were devil worshippers one time. We totally aren't, but they took off pretty damn quick after that. Just a thought lol. Don't do that though lol.

I get that some Christians take that "spreading the goodness word' part really seriously it it is really really grossly inappropriate to stop people at bus's stop saying to shove religion down their throats in a situation where the person can't leave in case hey miss their buss. It is threateningly at its worst and just incredibly presumptuous/aggressive st it's worst. Like eh ow what they're doing. There is a reason they're doing it at a bus stop (where it's hard for for you to leave) instead of coming to your door (which I might sure they do to but there you can slam the door I need their face and tell them to get off your property if. They don't back off).

Maybe you can get license plate numbers and stuff when the happens, record incidents in a journal etc, tel them you'll call the police if they keep approaching you, and call the police if you feel it is needed next time. It's defs not ok. I wouldn't like, calls 911, but you can usually Dallaire a local line , like 555-555-1234 and ask to speak with someone.

I hope it'll be resolved.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MadHatter77 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Religious Persons Stalking Me? - December 10th 2016, 04:25 AM

I agree. It's an incredibly uncomfortable situation, especially when they don't take "no" for "no".

I feel like using religion as an excuse for anti-social behaviour ridiculous, and I completely understand why you're upset.

Unfortunately, sometimes outright hostility is the best way to handle the situation. Refuse to acknowledge them, and answer rudely when they still approach. It's an awful way to act, but also very effective.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Religious Persons Stalking Me? - December 10th 2016, 02:27 PM

I had the opportunity to do some evangelization work (though mine was in Christian schools, not street evangelization like the people you've encountered) so I have some insight on this. As Christians, the Gospel is our lifeblood. For us, there is nothing more important than sharing the love of God with everyone we encounter. For many Christians, they only know to do this through street evangelization and approaching people. That doesn't mean it's the best way (I personally think it's far from the best way), but it's what many Christians know. I often find myself in religious conversation with people I meet (like a few weeks ago I had a wonderful conversation about the bible with a lady in Target. Our conversation didn't start with that though, it started with crafts and eventually she brought up religion) but if someone is obviously not interested or if they have asked me to stop, I will immediately wish them a good day and back off.

My advice when meeting with street evangelists is to gently tell them that you're not interested, or simply say "No thank you" when you're approached. If they continue to come up to you after you've asked them to leave you alone, or if the same person/people continue to approach you over time, that's when I would reach out for legal aid. Most street evangelists I've encountered back off when asked (emphasis on most).

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
virtualprincess Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Religious Persons Stalking Me? - December 16th 2016, 12:39 AM

If you continue to "be stalked" like this, i think you should show that you have some kinds of religion, they will stop.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Religious Persons Stalking Me? - December 16th 2016, 05:08 AM

I used to get stalked by a campus bible study group (CRU) and Mormons were just EVERYWHERE on my old campus trying to talk to me. Ironically, it was the Catholics who left me alone despite me being a part of their religion.
The Mormons like to hang around high traffic areas on campus and try to talk to people, but they aren't that bad. If you're in that situation, just say you don't have time. The CRU members were fucking obnoxious though. They would always have these stands where they'd give out candy if you filled out a form, and my dumbass would always be like, "Oh my God! Twix!" ...I can't believe I never got kidnapped as a kid.
Regardless, just don't give them an opening. Be rude. At first, just say, "not interested, thanks", and walk away. Second time, "Nope, not happening." Third time: "Are you deaf? NO. Go away." Fourth time: Pretend they aren't there.
When you come from a religious background, it really isn't rocket science as to why they do this. One: they're worried about your soul. They (often) think that unless you accept Jesus, you'll go to hell. Two: They think they're on a mission from God, and their success depends on you converting. They don't want to get to God and say, "I'm so sorry, I tried, I swear!" Three: They're told to. These things are often enforced by a pastor, and there might be pressure from them.
I consider myself a barely-practicing Catholic, and while I have plenty of criticisms for Catholicism, to their credit they aren't very aggressive nowadays with missionary work (as far as I've seen). That's partly because they have a belief that Jesus AND good works get you to heaven, instead of just Jesus. Really, that AND is more like an OR; the Pope said that he believes it's possible for atheists to go to heaven. Meanwhile, most Protestant faiths believe that you can only go to heaven if you accept Jesus alone. From my experience at my church and Catholic school, our missionary work is basically volunteer work, like working at a soup kitchen. Often it's just, "here's your food!" and they might have some pamphlets nearby. Hell, I've never even seen them say, have a pamphlet. The most religious I've seen at one of these things is, "I'll pray for you." On the other hand, the more aggressive Protestant missionaries are always trying to pray over me and shit. And then I say no, and they say, "But it's your SOUL!" or "This would be really important to ME." and for me its just like, "whatever man."

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread