TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

The train question - January 5th 2017, 06:18 PM

I feel like this was posted like 4 years ago, but even so, I feel like its not a bad idea to refresh the question.
So here's a hypothetical: there are 5 people tied to a train track, with a train headed right towards them. However, the track has a split before it reaches them, and there is one person on the other track where it splits off. If YOU pull a lever, the train will change direction and kill that one person (saving 5 people), but if you do nothing, 5 people will die (saving one person). Without any context regarding the people on the track (like how good the people are, what they do), do you pull the lever or not, and why?
You can also give a separate answer where there's a context (like if the 5 are death row inmates compared to someone like Ghandi on the other side; not the only scenario, but that's one).
I'll give my answer after other people answer it.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
brain-allergic zombie
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: The train question - January 5th 2017, 06:41 PM

Ok im probably going to be the only person to say this, but i would not pull the leaver, saving only one person. And i say that because there are 7.6 billion people in the world ish-ish right now right? Well the world is way overly populated and poluted. If i do pull the leaver saving five people probably with familys, well i am not helping the world. But if i dont pull the leaver, thats 5 people gone. Yes this sounds awful and i probably sound like a phsyco but the world is dying because of humans, and now i dont think we should all jump off a cliff, but i do believe in natural selection etc. Well thats my answer, i really enjoyed answering it tbh.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: The train question - January 5th 2017, 07:13 PM

I would save as many people as possible without context. Now, if the one person is a family member or friend, it's no contest, I'd save them every time, but then the one person you love will live with the fact that they were spared when five others died. I'd still save him/her, but it would suck that they would carry that.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: The train question - January 6th 2017, 02:58 AM

I suppose the point of this question is to point out that if you choose to pull the lever, you are choosing to kill 1 person. However, if you choose to not pull the lever you are letting the Universe determine the "fate" of the 5 by doing nothing to change the circumstances at hand. Of course, I think most would choose to pull the lever solely to minimize damage. Then come the problem of whether those 5 people are criminals, and the 1 person is a saint (or whatever permutation you use), etc.

Large scale I think it's interesting to think of things like this in terms of war. If people are harming innocent people, do we then kill more innocent people and "bad guys" to circumvent the original crime? I consider myself a pacifist, but I find at times it's hard to deal with these types of questions.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: The train question - January 6th 2017, 05:29 AM

These questions stress me out so much. I just end up sitting there imagining the guilt of knowing I let someone die. And then there's all these added stuff like what if it turns out the 5 people were actually train workers on the tracks and they have their own signal for saving themselves.

Also yesterday (well technically 2 days ago) there was a derailing of the LIRR in Brooklyn, which, not to tell the public forum but I live really close to that area. So yikes I don't know what I would do. What a horrible position to be in!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: The train question - January 6th 2017, 05:18 PM

I would do what I could to save the most people without context. However, if the one person was family or I knew that the five people were killers/rapists etc I would save the one person.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: The train question - January 7th 2017, 01:18 AM

Ok, so I'd pull the lever, definitely. With no context, I think it's an easy decision, because I feel like inaction is action. By that logic, it kinda makes you a murderer no matter what just because you're there, which sucks. But given extra context, if the one person was family, I'd pass. If the 5 people were terminally ill or death row bound, yeah, I'd pull the lever. One time in class my professor asked this and everyone was super uncomfortable. I said, yeah, I'd pull the lever, and everyone stayed super uncomfortable. Meh.
Ok, for fairies and pirates, I feel almost obliged to say this... It's only 5 people. That's hardly a dent in the population and when it comes to climate change, it really doesn't do a whole lot to help. Instead of allowing people to die (at least like this), we could just use public policy to throw birth control and sex ed around like candy and prevent a ton of births.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Closed Thread