TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Thor Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Salvation is it by faith alone or + works - August 9th 2017, 01:52 AM

Some say all you have to do is believe on Christ and that's it. Others say you have to have good works +faith

Send a message via AIM to Thor  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Salvation is it by faith alone or + works - August 9th 2017, 02:10 PM

If I had to guess, its probably 100% by works and maybe you get extra credit for believing in Jesus. Christianity is a very illogical religion to me if its based on faith alone; God would be sending billions of people to hell for two thousand years even though they might never have the opportunity to find Jesus.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Salvation is it by faith alone or + works - August 9th 2017, 07:38 PM

based on the christian religion that i grew up with, faith is all you need. the doing good works i believe belongs more to the catholic christians.
it just depends what denomination you consider yourself to be.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Salvation is it by faith alone or + works - August 9th 2017, 09:45 PM

You are saved by grace though faith alone, and then you do good works to demonstrate your faith to others and possibly bring them to Christ. In Catholicism, you're thinking of the sacraments, which I don't think are the same thing.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Salvation is it by faith alone or + works - August 10th 2017, 05:27 AM

Yeah, I grew up Catholic, and they teach faith and works. If I recall correctly (and I could be totally wrong, its been a while since I visited the topic) Martin Luther edited out a couple of verses in the Bible that said faith and works. However, Im pretty sure he had a legitimate reason for that; Im almost positive the Catholic Church of the time considered indulgences and donations to the church to be a "work". If that were true, then rich people would inherently have an easier way get into heaven than poor people, even though Jesus preached that "it would be easier for a camel to travel through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to get into heaven." i.e., its impossible for rich people to go to heaven.

This comment headed off-topic a little, but I think its a solid sidenote regardless.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Salvation is it by faith alone or + works - August 11th 2017, 12:43 AM

As a practicing Catholic, we do believe it is by faith and works, not just one or the other. As the above poster said, yes, the Catholic church did have indulgences a while back, and still have them to a degree. (although I am not 100% how they work or what they entail, but I know they've changed a lot.)

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Salvation is it by faith alone or + works - August 11th 2017, 02:28 AM

I think that different religions focus on different things. Christians tend to focus more on faith and redemption/asking for forgiveness as the way to get to heaven etc. However, other religions or different sects in the same religion focus more on faith and works.

I know my boyfriend's mom pointed out that there is a passage in Matthew that basically talks about how God wants us to do good deeds for others as a form of getting to heaven (I can't remember the passage though because I forgot to write it down). She pointed out that a lot of Christians (she used to be relatively active in church until last year) don't actually acknowledge that passage or realize that it is in there.

If I remember what the passage is or I see his mom sometime soon I will come back and quote it or at least give it to you.

So, all in all, it is very much dependent on the religion you follow or the denomination. IE Baptists tend to teach faith alone whereas other denominations teach a little bit of both. I know the non-denominational churches I have attended taught a little bit of both.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread