TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
raynab Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rayna

Question Why does Jesus contradict the old testament so often? - December 1st 2017, 12:31 AM

If you look through the bible, there are 60+ contradictions. A major one is between Ex.21:23-25; Lev.24:20; Deut.19:21 (old testament) and Mt.5:38-40; Lk.6:27-29 (new testament). The old testament states an eye for an eye. The new testament leans towards turning the other cheek. If Jesus was the true messiah it seems to me that he would be a devout jew that followed the old testament, for lack of a better term, religiously. How can he be part of God, in reference to the trinity, if he contradicts what God says?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Re: Why does Jesus contradict the old testament so often? - December 1st 2017, 04:14 PM

i dont know but it sounds like im expected to just let people do whatever they want to me which is stupid in itself

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Why does Jesus contradict the old testament so often? - December 3rd 2017, 03:14 AM

I'm pretty sure the idea is that Jesus created a "new law" to follow, which is basically just the Golden Rule. If I remember right, it's that Jesus made a new covenant for his new church. I don't know why they didn't lay that out there in the Old Testament along with the Ten Commandments or the Israelite laws in Leviticus, because they were doing the complete opposite. Stoning people for nonsensical reasons sure sounds like a sin to me.
Here's the way I see it... Maybe the entire Old Testament was BS. I believe that anyway, I disbelieve a giant portion of the Old Testament. But if I'm doing mental gymnastics to justify Christianity (and I may be doing just that) then I'll say that most of the rules created in Leviticus for the Israelites to live by weren't mandated by God in any way, shape, or form and it was all just a form of social oppression. Maybe the laws they were following were all man-made and had nothing to do with God, and God sent Jesus to send out the laws He wanted them to follow in the first place. It makes more sense to me because after all, the Garden of Eden is backed up by absolutely nothing in a historical context, so why should I believe God did most of the rest of the stuff in the Old Testament? There are historical inaccuracies everywhere in there. But there was at least a historical person named Jesus, and he was pretty much a Marxist hippie that contradicted everything that people thought they knew about God. If the Israelites believed stuff like the Garden of Eden, then I doubt they had any clue at all what they were doing and they didn't know God in any sense. To fix that, God sends Jesus to show them who He really is.
Yeah, this is why I'm basically a Deist that rolls as a Catholic. I believe there's a God, and maybe its the Trinity (thats who I pray to), but I'd never live my life according to the Bible. Too many contradictions, historical inaccuracies, and straight up immoral practices. But honestly, feel free to disregard everything I wrote because its based on nothing but thought exercises and denial of the Old Testament. Some of what I wrote doesn't even make sense to me.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Why does Jesus contradict the old testament so often? - December 3rd 2017, 04:34 AM

The Old Testament and New Testament were written in different eras. The Catholic Bible is composed of 73 books, with 46 of which in the Old Testament and 27 in the New Testament. I believe in that the New Testament falls in a place of higher priority and the writings within the Gospels are foremost. The Old Testament is looking at the various laws and rules and how God is going to bring the promised Messiah. When I was younger, we were taught that the Old Testament had various motivators that were written in order to make everything right and ensure that the laws were followed, these included stoning for example. However, in the New Testament, Christ is introduced to us the 12 apostles and gave us instructions. This was a simplified version of what we were taught in Sunday school.

I think this does a good job of explaining the 'conridictions':

“God gives us his revelation in two ways: 1) Natural revelation – God speaks through the things He has created, and 2) Supernatural revelation – God speaks directly, supernaturally. Whenever & however God speaks, he always speaks the truth, and nothing but the truth. Whenever we think we has come across an apparent contradiction in what God has spoken, the error is in our failure to properly understand the Author’s intent”
&
“In other words, God’s natural revelation and God’s supernatural revelation are not erroneous, but true. There can be no true contradictions within or between them. It would be foolish to accuse the Author of Divine Revelation of error. We instead admit humbly that something in our own understanding must be lacking, and we are called to further contemplation. In this way, it is in God we trust above our own limited talents.”

Click for citation:
Spoiler:

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Why does Jesus contradict the old testament so often? - December 3rd 2017, 09:30 PM

When I was involved with a church, we were taught that the old testament was old and so God basically imposed new laws (the new testament). This was the the way in which most of the churches i've been to explained away the contradictions. Yet, they still feel compelled to pick and choose which old testament 'rules'/statements they are willing to follow.

I kind of feel as though most churches and pastors don't really have a real genuine grasp on the why which is why they feel okay picking and choosing which rules to follow and disregard.

If you are part of a church or have religious friends, you might be able to get a better grasp on this. I remember asking similar questions and more but that was so long ago that I don't, fully remember what I was told.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread