TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

What does this verse mean? - April 27th 2018, 09:05 AM

There's a Bible verse I really like, I like how it sounds and it sounds very inspirational to me despite not fully understanding what it means. But it's come to my attention recently that if someone were to ask me to explain it, I wouldn't exactly know how. It's 2 Corinthians 2:10,

"That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

I think I'm only really confused by the last sentence, it seems like a contradiction. I tried looking for an explanation online but it still confused me, everyone used...too many words and they were just such vague explanations like they were, well, waffling on a bit

Can anyone here help me? Like, explain the verse in simple terms? Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What does this verse mean? - April 27th 2018, 12:19 PM

I am assuming that the last line is alluding to the fact that through Christ we are strong. He makes us stronger and helps us deal with difficulties, persecutions, weaknesses etc.

I haven't studied the bible for a long while but I remember back when I was religious there were a lot of verses that talked about us being stronger with Christ and verses that discussed how we were weak without Christ.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: What does this verse mean? - April 28th 2018, 12:11 PM

Hey.

The way I see it, the first sentence suggests that suffering for Christ's sake and going through hardships and struggles and trusting in Him with your weaknesses is something we should delight in. The second sentence seems to say that when you do that, you place yourself in the weak and vulnerable position. You become a sort of victim to life as you go through storms and struggles, but in your weakness, God becomes one with you. He manifests himself inside of you and that's a sign of true strength - His presence in you. For when you are weak (going through pain and suffering for His sake and His purpose), then you are strong (you become one with Him).

At least, that's the way I see it. Hope this helps clarify it a bit.

Take care.
Love. - xx

This user is no longer active on site.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: What does this verse mean? - April 29th 2018, 10:09 PM

The previous verse, "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

Hence when you are weak, you are strong because, according to the author of Corinthians (Paul, I believe), Christ power is made perfect in you.

According to Gill,
"for when I am weak, then am I strong; when he was attended with all the above mentioned infirmities, when laden with reproaches, surrounded with necessities, followed with persecutions, and brought into the utmost straits and difficulties, and was most sensible of his weakness in himself to bear and go through all these things; then was he upheld by the divine arm, and strengthened by the power of Christ; so that he was not only able to sustain the conflict, but became more than a conqueror, and even to triumph in the midst of these adversities; he could and did readily take the advice in Joel 3:10, and express himself in the same language there directed to, and to which he seems to refer, "let the weak say I am strong"; for he that is weak in himself, and sees himself to be so, is strong in Christ, and has a comfortable experience of renewed strength from him, as his day is. The Jews have a saying (h) somewhat like this, the righteous even , "when they are weak strengthen themselves"; as it is said, Genesis 48:2, and the wicked, though in their strength, fall, according to Esther 7:8.''

(h) Baal Hatturim in Genesis 48.2."

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Closed Thread