TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Church - December 8th 2018, 11:49 PM

So when I was in 7th-9th grade. I stopped going when I started cutting more and more and more active in my eating disorder. I thought I was disappointing god and that he didn't want me to be there. Everyone says god only gives you what you can handle. So as time went on I got more and more pissed at him because I couldn't handle my life and was suicidal, cutting more, and more active in my ED. So I just didn't understand why he gave my all of this when I can't handle it.

Anyways I am almost 2 years free of suicidal thoughts, cutting and purging. I went to this special needs church thing and party with my special needs sister. Anyways I felt really uncomfortable and my anxiety was through the roof, even though all of it was dumbed down so you could understand it (which is helpful for me as well since I have learning disabilities as well). While she was describing the nativity scene I believe I was dissociating since I honestly can't remember some of it and was confused on when it ended type of thing.

I just want to know if anyone has experienced this or something similar and how they have dealt with it. I really do what to start going to church, but I am uncomfortable and am still kind of pissed at god. So I am not really sure if I am welcome, if that makes sense.

Any advice would be really helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
*Poppy* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mackenzie

Points: 2,875, Level: 8 Points: 2,875, Level: 8 Points: 2,875, Level: 8

Re: Church - December 9th 2018, 12:10 AM

Frankie, first off I am glad you got to spend time with your sister at the service.

Now, I am really wrestling with what to post here as I was born into a Cult even though as a young child I thought it was perfectly a normal thing. So I am not even 2 years removed from that situation and am still quite confused myself with religion. I do believe there is a God or a Higher Being, but my take on religions as a whole is what I am not quite sure about at this time. I know I was dealt the wrong card being born to parents who were in a Cult and what you experienced is not that at all. I think however though one thing you might consider before jumping back going to church fulltime is just chatting with a Clergy about your feelings towards God. The Clergy just might have some good answers to make you feel comfortable with God and that may make you even more comfortable attending church on a regular basis. I hope this helps a little.

Are you insane like me?
Been in pain like me?
Bought a 100 dollar bottle of champagne like me?
Just to pour that motherfucker down the drain like me?
Would you use your water bill to dry the stain like me?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Church - December 9th 2018, 12:53 PM

I think it's very understandable that given all that you have been through and struggled with, that you would feel it's unfair for people to say that God only gives you what you can handle. I'm sure that many believers will have had some doubts at some point in their life, especially when things get difficult. That said, I don't think He would be disappointed in you at all. If you want to go to church, then you have every right to be there. You shouldn't feel unwelcome because of what you struggle with or how you are questioning God (and it's okay to be annoyed at Him for what you have to deal with in life).

I agree with the above in that perhaps talking to someone at the church may ease your concerns a bit. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then maybe you could just sit in during the services, perhaps at the back, and know that you can always leave if you feel uncomfortable.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Tiffers95 Offline
Here to help
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tiffany

Points: 2,774, Level: 7 Points: 2,774, Level: 7 Points: 2,774, Level: 7

Re: Church - December 24th 2018, 02:01 PM

Frankie, I think it is a huge step that you went back to church knowing how you felt about it and God. It is always very difficult when trying something new or getting back into something that you haven't been involved in for a long time. Add that you felt sort of betrayed by God that he was giving you too much on your plate to handle.

I think this is an incredible step for you and you should be extremely proud of yourself for going to the church with your sister. Now as for the future, what you need to do is just give it time. Keep finding ways to go back with your sisters. Make it a bonding time with your sister. Talk with the Pastor of the Church about your concerns when you feel comfortable doing so, Possibly in time make even more friends at the church. I hope this may help you a least a little.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
merlinbennie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 413, Level: 3 Points: 413, Level: 3 Points: 413, Level: 3

Re: Church - August 27th 2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopey Merbaby View Post
So when I was in 7th-9th grade. I stopped going when I started cutting more and more and more active in my eating disorder. I thought I was disappointing god and that he didn't want me to be there. Everyone says god only gives you what you can handle. So as time went on I got more and more pissed at him because I couldn't handle my life and was suicidal, cutting more, and more active in my ED. So I just didn't understand why he gave my all of this when I can't handle it.

Anyways I am almost 2 years free of suicidal thoughts, cutting and purging. I went to this special needs church thing and party with my special needs sister. Anyways I felt really uncomfortable and my anxiety was through the roof, even though all of it was dumbed down so you could understand it (which is helpful for me as well since I have learning disabilities as well). While she was describing the nativity scene I believe I was dissociating since I honestly can't remember some of it and was confused on when it ended type of thing.

I just want to know if anyone has experienced this or something similar and how they have dealt with it. I really do what to start going to church, but I am uncomfortable and am still kind of pissed at god. So I am not really sure if I am welcome, if that makes sense.

Any advice would be really helpful.
I'm sorry, I don't have any idea about that... Do what your mind say that's it
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42

Re: Church - August 27th 2021, 10:08 AM

I think it was really brave of you to go back to church.
I also agree with talking to someone you trust such as your priest/pastor to let them know of your concerns - to see what they can suggest for you to do.
I don't think God is disappointed with you at all. You went through a hard time and God always looks after everyone.

Closed Thread