TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts


Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!



Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Importance? - November 23rd 2010, 03:37 PM

Why do people fear being forgotten in history? 99% of people will be forgotten and very few can change history. Think of a famous composer, if he hadn't lived, we wouldn't be without music. We would be studying someone else's music and probably declaring it just as influential.

Then there is applying importance to aborted fetus. Yes, maybe they would have some kind of medical breakthrough or some famous piece of music, but they probably wouldn't. Plus medical breakthroughs are usually done by teams now a days.

I am not saying that people can influence the community or close friends, but I don't think that people should imagine that a single person or potential person will become the next Hitler or Beethoven.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,038
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Importance? - November 23rd 2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Why do people fear being forgotten in history? 99% of people will be forgotten and very few can change history. Think of a famous composer, if he hadn't lived, we wouldn't be without music. We would be studying someone else's music and probably declaring it just as influential.

Then there is applying importance to aborted fetus. Yes, maybe they would have some kind of medical breakthrough or some famous piece of music, but they probably wouldn't. Plus medical breakthroughs are usually done by teams now a days.

I am not saying that people can influence the community or close friends, but I don't think that people should imagine that a single person or potential person will become the next Hitler or Beethoven.
I quite agree; the "What if Einstien were aborted?" argument is entirely ludicrous; for all we know every aborted fetus could have been as close to pure evil as you can get without being Ann Coulter.

As for fear of being forgotten, I don't really get it either. What happens to me after I die won't make a spot of difference to me.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,052
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Importance? - November 23rd 2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
I quite agree; the "What if Einstien were aborted?" argument is entirely ludicrous; for all we know every aborted fetus could have been as close to pure evil as you can get without being Ann Coulter.
Ouch.

While trying not to make this an abortion topic, the analogy as I understand it is more to demonstrate that foetal disability on its own is not necessarily a good justification for undergoing an abortion. It's a crude analogy granted but on those terms it is slightly better.

Anyway, I think it comes down to the notion that people want to feel like they made an impact on the world they lived in and feel being remembered is the best way to do so. Personally I feel it's what you leave behind which is more important, and at any rate with censuses and other records it's hard to be truly "forgotten" in most countries (albeit not all admittedly). Ultimately it all boils down to ego I think.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: Importance? - November 23rd 2010, 05:30 PM

Records will exist, but those really don't count because most people will view them as numbers with names attached. Chris William died at 85. Becca Wilson died at 45. They were born in New York. It's very dry.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough
*********
 
TheNumber42's Avatar
 
Name: Cody
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Location: USA

Posts: 2,185
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Importance? - November 23rd 2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
As for fear of being forgotten, I don't really get it either. What happens to me after I die won't make a spot of difference to me.
No, not after you die. But the knowledge that you changed the world and will forever go down in history as ___ will give you a major ego boost while you're alive. Honestly, if I ever did anything to warrant going down in history, that's what I'd do it for. I have a huge ego, sorry


~Cody

Normal User
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,502
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Importance? - November 24th 2010, 05:35 AM

When I die, I know those in my family, friends and possible others will remember me, until they die or their memory fails epically. I don't see why people worry if they'll be remembered or not, or want to do something big to be remembered. For every person that does remember them generations down the road, there's going to be a bunch who remember but don't care about them. I view life as short, so live it as full as possible and if you get remembered a few hundred years later, congrats, give me some of the royalties you're getting .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Why do people fear being forgotten in history?
Probably they think whatever they did while alive won't matter and their life was meaningless. I think that's really piling on the horseshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Plus medical breakthroughs are usually done by teams now a days.
I get the feeling this was meant to mean something in relation to your thread but I don't understand it. A medical team can be 1 person or 10 people, or 1,000 people. Eventually, they'll be forgotten because there's only one first author and usually a few people who do preparations or analysis, not the actual experiments and interpretations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
I am not saying that people can influence the community or close friends, but I don't think that people should imagine that a single person or potential person will become the next Hitler or Beethoven.
I agree. If people think they will be the next Beethoven or Hitler, then they're trying to polish off every piece of their massive ego and I don't see how their big heads can get through the biggest doorway ever made.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Online
Cheyenne is phresh ^.^

Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Kitty.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kitty
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 6,205
Join Date: January 23rd 2010

Re: Importance? - November 24th 2010, 05:40 AM

I don't worry about whether or not I will be remembered. If I'm not, then I'm not. If I am, then I am.

I will be in Heaven with Jesus so whether or not I will be remembered will be pretty irrelevant to me.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: Importance? - November 24th 2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
I get the feeling this was meant to mean something in relation to your thread but I don't understand it. A medical team can be 1 person or 10 people, or 1,000 people. Eventually, they'll be forgotten because there's only one first author and usually a few people who do preparations or analysis, not the actual experiments and interpretations.
Well, I was trying to avoid specifically saying this is related to the claim that the next aborted baby could be the person that cures cancer/makes some famous music piece/changes the world. It's usually either that one composer who was born in some almost crappy circumstances or the kid that could cure cancer argument.

Here is the argument one kid said to me:
Quote:

Two physicians are talking shop. "Doctor," says one, "I'd like your professional opinion. The question is, should the pregnancy have been terminated or not? The father was syphilitic. The mother was tuberculous. They had already had four children: the first was blind, the second died, the third was deaf and dumb, and the fourth was tuberculous. The woman was pregnant for the fifth time. As the attending physician, what would you have done?"
http://gadfly.igc.org/liberal/abortion.htm

Usually it's cure cancer.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
.:BreakingBeautifully:.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere!!!

Posts: 5,115
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Importance? - November 25th 2010, 12:20 AM

I think the reason people worry about being forgotten because then they feel as if their life will have been meaningless. However, I don't believe that is true. I believe a persons life can be meaningful whether or not they go down in history. I don't think I am ever going to change the world and I am pretty sure when I die I will eventually be forgotten but I still think my life has the potential to be meaningful. I have the ability to do good things for my community and the loved ones in my life and that is what will make my life special. So, yes, I will be forgotten but that doesn't mean my life will be any less important. Time moves on, people are forgotten but that doesn't mean a persons life wasn't meaningful.


   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Dark-and-Twisty's Avatar
 
Name: Nicole
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: Iowa, USA

Posts: 746
Join Date: November 4th 2010

Re: Importance? - November 25th 2010, 01:16 AM

Even though you may not be remembered, think about how much you may have altered someone else's life just by living. Like for me, I look back at certain instances in my life. I may not be a great person, I may not even be a good person. But I have altered lives and points in history. Like, for example, I was in a spelling bee in fifth grade, which I won. Three kids from my elementary school took trophies at that spelling bee and they took a picture of us, and we were in the paper. And it just so happened, the girl I beat out is a girl who always got straight-A's and wounded up being valedictorian. If I had never been born, she would have won that spelling bee. If I had never been born, only two people from my school would have taken home trophies that day.

It may be only a little event, and it may not have altered the course of history forever; but it certainly affected the lives around my local town. Another way I altered history was when I was thirteen. I took second place in a tournament which got me to internationals. If I had not been born, then someone else would have been at that tournament instead of me. Someone else would have had the chance to experience what I did. In a way, that could be looked at as my existence being a negative thing. I took away someone else's chance. But, still, I altered someone's history. Someone I don't even know.

You can look at your life as a positive way giving back to the community, or a negative, taking away from someone else's life. If my mom had never been born, she would not have been there to save a person's life in high school. A kid was about to jump out of the third floor of the building. She stopped him. If she hadn't been there, he wouldn't be alive today.

Whether we realize it or not, every time we leave our house and live our lives, we affect others in some way, shape, or form. Perhaps your being here on this forum has changed someone's life, by your advice or support. Many people fail to realize that little events can alter the course of someone's life forever.

I myself dream of changing someone's life for the better. It's easier thought of than done. I want to leave my mark in this work some way, shape, or form. My personal goal is to publish a book.

I'm majorly against interfering with the course of history by aborting an unborn fetus. Sure, it's unlikely they would create a cure for AIDs and so on, but it's likely that they would walk upon the Earth, meet people, and change others lives, whether for the better or the worse. And sometimes by taking away from someone, you strengthen them.

There's a short story I read in ninth grade that I think would be appropriate for you all to read, but I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. :P


"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: Importance? - November 25th 2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:

I'm majorly against interfering with the course of history by aborting an unborn fetus. Sure, it's unlikely they would create a cure for AIDs and so on, but it's likely that they would walk upon the Earth, meet people, and change others lives, whether for the better or the worse. And sometimes by taking away from someone, you strengthen them.
The issue is that we are not interfering with the course of history. History has happened. Like you said, if you hadn't done those things, then someone else would have although they may have done it differently than you would have.

I consider those kind of events you listed as the "small" impacts I talked about in my first post. They may be significant to you or your community, but overall the community would not remember it very long. Especially with schools. Within four to five years, the entire high school group will have rotated out.

I think that putting too much emphasis on a single person, especially if the person is not born, is unwise. Less than 1% of the people who are ever born are significant enough. They may make little impacts, but if they weren't ever born we would not know.

I am confused about your last sentence? By taking away from someone, we can strengthen them? By allowing abortion or by allowing another person to potentially take a person's place?
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Soliloquy Offline
I've been here a while
********
 
Soliloquy's Avatar
 
Age: 20
Gender: Female

Posts: 1,354
Join Date: April 20th 2010

Re: Importance? - November 28th 2010, 09:40 AM

I am not worried about whether or not I will be remembered worldwide after I die. I will be remembered by those who loved me and those who I was close with. That is really all that matters, in my opinion. We all impact the lives of others in some way, shape, or form, whether or not we know it. And I'd rather my legacy be perpetuated by those who I actually meant something to, because I know they will remember me with a lot more admiration than someone leafing through the pages of a history textbook.

When you die, someone will remember you. Those who were close to you cannot and will not pretend you were never there. Whether you will be remembered for all eternity is pretty irrelevant, I think, because no matter what, your actions altered the course of someone's life even if you didn't intend them to do so. Everyone leaves her mark in some way, good or bad.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
importance

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All material copyright 1998-2014, TeenHelp Inc. All rights reserved.
TeenHelp Inc. is a registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organisation in the United States of America.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.