TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sara

Anyone know any cool/interesting Philosophers? - June 3rd 2011, 08:13 PM

I thought I might as well see if anyone replies to this lol
So I have a project to do, in Philosophy, and I have to pick a philosopher and learn about their theories/ideas. All the people I've searched up aren't that interesting.
We've learned about Plato, Descartes, Karl Marx, and others..I can't really remember them all haha
Does anyone know any philosophers with interesting theories?
Thanks!

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

"Live your life and risk it all
take some chances, take the fall
take your time, no need to hurry
have some fun, and never worry ♥"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Flying_Spirit Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Anyone know any cool/interesting Philosophers? - June 3rd 2011, 08:39 PM

I absolutely love Friedrich Nietzsche. The father of nihilism, his ideas are still agreed with today. The books I love the most are beyond good and evil and thus spoke Zarathustra.

Can we align what is good upon what is true?
And then can we reevaluate our ideas of the world and ourselves so that we align what is good upon what is true? For the alternative is to attempt to warp our values toward what is false, what is misunderstood or pretended, trustingly assumed or piously lied about. Indeed, such irrational or mendacious false values have powered so much of the history of the world to date that we may despair of ever finding an exit from the labyrinth of millennia, a way into sunlit clarity. It may require a bravery, or a toughness, that we do not have. Many, many leaders in the world, time out of mind, have presumed that we are not brave enough, or tough enough, to live in the true world as it is, this world, our world. Yet this is a lover's problem, we abandon it only at our utter cost.

Nietzsche's title and subtitle, Beyond Good and Evil: Prelude to a Philosophy of the Future, requires that our interpreter have an ear and a sense of humor for wicked subtleties; and be able to cast a cold eye upon life and death, deep into past and future — while retaining a lover's appreciation and hope for humanity. For a real future for humanity that is in the long run livable must be based on the true, not a paradisal utopia based on promises of something else.

A Nietzschean complementary style
Yet if there are glimmers of light dawning, a Nietzschean Enlightenment on our horizon, how might a commentator on Beyond Good and Evil usefully re-present these thunder-and-lightning ideas, that Christianity is Platonism for the people and so forth? Our interpreter need not attempt to imitate Nietzsche's playful and shocking, experimenting and tempting style; rather to complement it. A Nietzschean complementary style might be clear, straightforward, helpfully annotative without distractions, above all insightful and sympathetic.

All easier said than done. To do his own task properly, our interpreter must know his audience and how to appeal to them, be able artfully to re-present esoteric Nietzschean ideas in a manner as compulsively readable as the original but with his own clarifying perspective, to create a riveting narrative worthy of its focus: a great book of philosophy and a noble work of humanity. For Beyond Good and Evil is a noble work, vastly repaying our time to understand it properly; an excellent interpretation of such a book truly must be a noble work in itself, as surprisingly beautiful as an offering of philosophy may be. To be given such a commentary, gratitude could be too small a word.

His ideas are very interesting and I love his writing style.

And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Danger of our culture. We belong to a time in which culture is in danger of being destroyed by the means of culture.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Anyone know any cool/interesting Philosophers? - June 3rd 2011, 09:13 PM

Define what you'd find interesting.

"Daniel broke the kings decree, Peter stepped from the ship to the sea, there was hope for Job like a cut down tree... I hope that there's such hope for me... Blind as I've become, I used to wonder where you were. These days I can't find where You're not. Mine's been a yard carefully surface tended, foxes burrowed underground. Gardening so highly self-recommended, what could I have done but let You down? The sun and the moon, I want to see both worlds as one." -Aaron Weiss, mewithoutYou
  Send a message via AIM to John 6:29 Send a message via MSN to John 6:29  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Anyone know any cool/interesting Philosophers? - June 4th 2011, 08:53 AM

Nietzsche is certainly interesting, although it can also be hard going at times working out what he's talking about (which when you realise he wrote while suffering from diptheria, dysentery and possibly syphilis is perhaps understandable) and his reputation took a knock after his philosophy was linked to Nazism, a link which has only recently been reconciled. Depending on which field of philosophy you're interested in, Thomas Kuhn can be an interesting (if again potentially controversial) read and Ludwig Wittgenstein might be an interesting one as well. As Michael says, though, it depends entirely on what you find interesting.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Smitten Offline
Wņ—– RINGśäōŕL
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Smitten

Re: Anyone know any cool/interesting Philosophers? - June 4th 2011, 07:35 PM

I agree that Friedrich Nietzsche is interesting - but for other options...

Marcus Tullius Cicero - One of my favorites, He is getting tattooed on my chest. (well, a quote of his.)
Here is a link to all the info you will need for a project on him - LINK

Also... Marcus Aurelius is good.
Link to his BIO. <CLICK>
Link to his works <CLICK>

Lao Tzu is another favorite - <CLICK>

The above might be too "heavy" for you as they are typically analyzed in 300 - 400 level university courses, so if you find it painstaking to make sense of the text, try...

The Hagakure (The book of the samurai) by: Yamamoto Tsunetomo (translation by William Scott Wilson)
This will probably require you to purchase the book.

Lastly...

Confucius is probably relatively easy (by comparison) to understand and get a paper out of. <CLICK>

If you want more - let me know. There are soooooooooo.... many.

You know you are on the precipice of greatness when you feel joy, fear, and the butterflies of change all at the same time.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
messed_up Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Anyone know any cool/interesting Philosophers? - June 11th 2011, 02:52 AM

I personally like some of the old ones like Decartes, Plato, Pascal.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

(#7 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Anyone know any cool/interesting Philosophers? - June 11th 2011, 02:16 PM

Nietzsche, Plato, Socrates, Immanuel Kant.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Open my eyes
Average Joe

Name: Esther

Re: Anyone know any cool/interesting Philosophers? - June 11th 2011, 08:34 PM

old ones hmm Locke or Ockham, specially their politics

Fear Cuts Deeper Than Knives

"And if you told me 'go to the hell', I'd tell you I know pretty well that place"
  Send a message via MSN to Ess The Morgenstern * Send a message via Skype™ to Ess The Morgenstern * 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Anyone know any cool/interesting Philosophers? - June 14th 2011, 02:23 PM

Sartre, Heidegger, Ricoeur, St. Augustine (Confessions), Derrida, Nietzsche, Kristeva, Camus. Camus is fairly easy to read for beginners--The Myth of Sisyphus, The Stranger. Sartre's Being and Nothingness is a little difficult to read, so I'd recommend also reading one of his novels (Nausea). For St. Augustine, at the end of Confessions it talks about Time and Memory, which relates to a lot of continental philosophers (Ricouer's Time and Narrative, Heidegger). Nietzsche, like everyone else has said, is really interesting. You just have to make sure you don't interpret him the wrong way. The Twilight Idols and The Anti Christ are good reads for him, but my favourite is Thus Spoke Zarathustra (I've always found it's better to read other works by Nietzsche before readings that one).

Oh, and if you are interested in ethics: Claudia Card's The Atrocity Paradigm: A Theory of Evil and Susan Brison's Aftermath.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sara

Re: Anyone know any cool/interesting Philosophers? - June 15th 2011, 01:34 AM

Alright thank you all! (:

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

"Live your life and risk it all
take some chances, take the fall
take your time, no need to hurry
have some fun, and never worry ♥"

Closed Thread