TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mally

Question What does it mean to be Wiccan? - November 16th 2011, 11:47 PM

Anyone who knows anything about Wiccan/Pagan religion... what do they believe in? What are their customs? And why were people so afraid of them? I'm just wondering, from what I've heard from my friend that is Wiccan I find them very interesting and that's why things like the Salem Witch Trials confuse me

They can have their world
We'll create our own
I may not be brave or strong or smart
But somewhere in my secret heart

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home
If you are there beside me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: What does it mean to be Wiccan? - November 16th 2011, 11:53 PM

First, no one in the Salem Witch trials was Wiccan.

Wicca originally came from England, primarily Mr. Gardner. Wiccans are basically Pagans. They either have many Gods, two primary Gods (Lord and the Lady) or a Spirit.

Their afterlife is called the Summerlands, and everyone who dies goes there. Some people reincarnate, some stay in the Summerlands.

Wiccans can and do cast spells and more or less believe in a kind of magic.

Wiccans have one big rule that almost all Wiccans follow: an it harm none, do what ye will. Which basically means, do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, including yourself (and animals/environment/society).

And people are probably afraid of them because Wicca doesn't fall in the normal bounds of a safe, monotheistic religion ruled by a male patriarchy and God.

For reals, people are probably afraid because movies like The Craft make Wiccans seem like pyscho goth lesbians.

Last edited by Daivia; November 16th 2011 at 11:58 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mally

Re: What does it mean to be Wiccan? - November 17th 2011, 12:24 AM

Ohh... I'm not judging I'm just curious... I thought that Wiccans and Witches were kinda the same thing... sorry.
Quote:
monotheistic religion ruled by a male patriarchy and God.
And I'm a Buddhist juss sayin

They can have their world
We'll create our own
I may not be brave or strong or smart
But somewhere in my secret heart

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home
If you are there beside me

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: What does it mean to be Wiccan? - November 17th 2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMallyPrydexX View Post
I thought that Wiccans and Witches were kinda the same thing... sorry.
Oh, some Wiccans also call themselves witches... I just meant that the Salem Witch trials had nothing to do with the Wiccan faith or practicing witches.

The Salem Witch trials (I'm not an expert here so don't hold me to this account) basically started when a 9 year old and her cousin an 11 year old started having fits in which they screamed, threw things, and contorted into uncomfortable postions. Eventually someone accused two Sarahs and a slave of causing the fits. All three were sent to jail. Then the girls accused more people, including the husband of one of the accused. All in all, 20 people (men and women) died because of the Salem Witch trials, some of which were churchgoers and very pious Christians.

Last edited by Daivia; November 17th 2011 at 12:41 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Mercicle. Offline
Skittles Minion.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: What does it mean to be Wiccan? - November 17th 2011, 01:17 AM

Maeve pretty much covered the basics. I just thought I'd point out that it's possible to be Wiccan but not a witch, and a witch but not Wiccan. You don't need to believe in or practice magick to be Wiccan, and you don't need to be Wiccan to believe in or practice magick (for example - correct me if I'm wrong - I believe some Satanists practice their own form of magick).

It's also possible to be pagan but not Wiccan (although all Wiccans are pagan). There are other pagan paths, which tend to be similar yet distinct. There are so many Wiccan traditions that it's hard to give an overview of their beliefs and customs, because they're all so different. Some put more emphasis on the Goddess (eg Dianic), for example, while others have a strict hierarchy; some only follow certain folklore and mythology (like Celtic), while others draw from many different backgrounds to create their own unique path.

Most Wiccans follow the Wiccan Rede, the basic rule of that being, as Maeve said, 'An it harm none, do what ye will'. There are many interpretations of this, but essentially it means that as long as you're not hurting anybody, then what you're doing is okay.

There are many things that Wiccans can believe in and practice, like crystal work, meditation, spirits, and elements, which means that people who are dismissive of the whole New Age scene tend to look down upon them. Another major reason people are wary of Wicca is that they simply misunderstand it. I can't count the number of times I've heard Wiccans described as 'Devil-worshipping Satanists', which is completely not true because Wiccans don't even believe in Satan. Many people also confuse the Horned God with Satan, even though they're completely separate. The pentagram, the symbol of Wicca, is also similar to the inverted pentagram, the symbol of Satanism, so people get the wrong idea there too.

And, of course, there's the depiction of witches in television, movies, and books. Think of all the wicked witches who practice dark magick, even as far back as fairytals and folk tales, and you'll understand why people might be a little scared of Wicca and witchcraft. It's also so different to 'traditional' religions that people are bound to be wary.

I think I've rambled on for long enough here. If you want to know any more, feel free to PM me. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I do know a thing or two.

paper is dead without words,
ink idle without a poem,
all the world dead without stories,
without love and disarming beauty.
3.6.14 | 19.8.14
are we to blame for your flawed design?

I'm not crazy, I'm the queen.

Skittlify!

Last edited by Mercicle.; November 17th 2011 at 04:14 AM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
jenpiglet17 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jen

Re: What does it mean to be Wiccan? - November 17th 2011, 01:37 AM

Chess pretty much covered it! Round 2 of my teaching Witchcraft 101 is starting in December, so if you need anything I'm here as well!

& I miss talking to you, Chess. lol

A computer once beat me at chess,
but it was no match for me at kickboxing!

I'm always here if you want to talk!

Closed Thread