TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts


Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!



Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Liz94's Avatar
 
Name: Elizabeth
Age: 20
Gender: Genderqueer
Location: Woolton Hill

Posts: 466
Join Date: February 28th 2009

What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 03:51 PM

I am really interested to know what God ( mainly talking about the Christian God here, but open to all religions) means to you.

If you are a believer, why? how? what has God done for you? HOw has he changed your life? etc

If you are a non-believer why? etc.

My answer to this question is this...

God means the world to me, he is the most important thing in my life. He has saved me, brought me out of countless depressions, is always there for me, he loves me. He has filled me with love and warmth which I pass on to others. God is amazing and devoting my life to him is the least I can do.


"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,666
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 04:37 PM

I believe in the possibility and maybe even the probability of God. However that's where it ends for me. I don't really care one way or another. If He created the universe, that's great good for Him, thanks for this planet that I get to live on. However His existence doesn't effect the way I live my life. I'd live my life the same way if He doesn't exist or if He does. If He's going to have any effect on me it's when I'm dead, so in the mean time I'm going to enjoy life and live it the way I see fit.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while
********
 
TheBabyEater's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: Iraw

Posts: 1,710
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 04:44 PM

To me, God is just a word used to express great emotion.

God Dammit.
Good God
Good Lord
Jesus Christ
Ext ext

Other than that, I believe to many people he is a metaphor for what they wish (or believe to know) is true. Heaven, eternal life, prayer, happiness, ext. Honestly, I believe in some cases God/Satan is an excuse, sometimes very bad. People say God brought them out of a hard situation, when in reality it was THEM who brought them out of depression, it was THEIR strength and courage.



Take me seriously.
I dare you.



  Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Baxter Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Baxter's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: NYC

Posts: 103
Join Date: September 17th 2011

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBabyEater View Post
Honestly, I believe in some cases God/Satan is an excuse, sometimes very bad. People say God brought them out of a hard situation, when in reality it was THEM who brought them out of depression, it was THEIR strength and courage.
How so? I think the God concept of always being loved, being 'special' and not simply some disposable animal with an advanced brain, is a pretty big catalyst. They may have climbed up themselves, but the belief in God gives some people that pull up they were looking for.

God doesn't really mean too much to me because I don't feel anything. It's just something I've been told, it's not something that makes me feel better or worse when I think about the existence, or possibility of a higher being. I don't feel any spiritual connection with anything in life, though. I guess some people do, so good for them.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while
********
 
TheBabyEater's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: Iraw

Posts: 1,710
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
How so? I think the God concept of always being loved, being 'special' and not simply some disposable animal with an advanced brain, is a pretty big catalyst. They may have climbed up themselves, but the belief in God gives some people that pull up they were looking for.
The belief certainly helped, but if you ask for my beliefs, that being that God doesn't exist, their strength to survive whatever crisis came ultimately from within themselves.



Take me seriously.
I dare you.



  Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Squidgy Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Squidgy's Avatar
 
Age: 16
Gender: Female

Posts: 203
Join Date: October 6th 2011

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBabyEater View Post
Other than that, I believe to many people he is a metaphor for what they wish (or believe to know) is true. Heaven, eternal life, prayer, happiness, ext. Honestly, I believe in some cases God/Satan is an excuse, sometimes very bad. People say God brought them out of a hard situation, when in reality it was THEM who brought them out of depression, it was THEIR strength and courage.
This. People want to feel safe, like they have someone watching over them and protecting them. Therefore they believe in god, Thinking he's the one who got them all they have when it was really them.
  Send a message via MSN to Squidgy Send a message via Skype™ to Squidgy 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Member
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Stargazed.'s Avatar
 

Posts: 3,885
Join Date: October 3rd 2010

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 05:57 PM

To me, God isn't someone I can rely on like most Christians. I have issues talking to someone I can't see. God hasn't done anything for me in my life. Like some people say He's changed their life and what not, but I don't feel that. So therefore, I don't have a relationship with God. I believe in Him but nothing further.

Hope that makes sense.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,502
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 06:00 PM

God, of whatever religion, is a way of explaining things, assigning guilt/blame (i.e. blame Satan), act as a warm comforting blanket for those who feel vulnerable to life events and in effect, a massive placebo.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Baxter Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Baxter's Avatar
 
Gender: Male
Location: NYC

Posts: 103
Join Date: September 17th 2011

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBabyEater View Post

The belief certainly helped, but if you ask for my beliefs, that being that God doesn't exist, their strength to survive whatever crisis came ultimately from within themselves.
I see what you're saying, but what I was trying to say wasn't that the existence of God helped them through rough times, but the belief in God. Someone who feels that no one loves them, starts believing in God and eventually moves past it. They do so because they now believe God always loves them. That's not looking inside yourself and using your own strength to get over the fact that no one loves you. It's using the belief in God to substitute someone else and move on from that problem.

I think it's like that with any belief. Someone who has a fear of death believes in re-incarnation. That's not overcoming your fear, it's changing the way you look at death to be able to move on. The world is a sad, cruel place, I don't blame people for using their beliefs as 'false' hope to cope with it. I'd rather believe in a bunch of stupid, ridiculous shit and be happy, than be miserable but realistic and logical.
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while
********
 
TheBabyEater's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: Iraw

Posts: 1,710
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
I see what you're saying, but what I was trying to say wasn't that the existence of God helped them through rough times, but the belief in God. Someone who feels that no one loves them, starts believing in God and eventually moves past it. They do so because they now believe God always loves them. That's not looking inside yourself and using your own strength to get over the fact that no one loves you. It's using the belief in God to substitute someone else and move on from that problem.

I think it's like that with any belief. Someone who has a fear of death believes in re-incarnation. That's not overcoming your fear, it's changing the way you look at death to be able to move on. The world is a sad, cruel place, I don't blame people for using their beliefs as 'false' hope to cope with it. I'd rather believe in a bunch of stupid, ridiculous shit and be happy, than be miserable but realistic and logical.

The strength to survive still has to come from somewhere, believing in God merely brings it forth, it does not create it.



Take me seriously.
I dare you.



  Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
chickenonsteroids's Avatar
 

Posts: 511
Join Date: August 9th 2011

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 08:02 PM

Created by humans to help cope with life Is that a bad thing? sometimes

To me ... he means nothing anymore


Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Starburst. Offline
Skittles Minion.

I can't get enough
*********
 
Starburst.'s Avatar
 
Name: Sammi
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Location: IRAW.

Posts: 2,746
Join Date: July 19th 2011

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 08:10 PM

To me, God is someone to hold onto during my toughest times. I'm not as strong as a believer as I used to be, but I definitely know that there are things I never would have made it through without my faith.



HelpLINK Mentor|Articles Team|Social Networking Team
Skittlify
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
mialynn4 Offline
HipHopViolinist
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
mialynn4's Avatar
 
Name: Mia
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Location: My Room

Posts: 9
Join Date: August 1st 2011

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 08:58 PM

When I tell people I believe in God they think I'm crazy. But basically what it means is that I believe in an afterlife, heaven or hell. The confeusing part, is that different people have different ways of thinking on how they can go to heaven. For example the Pope, Mary, or just praying and doing good deeds. But, I don't believe in that. God sent his son, Jesus, to die for all of us. It may mean nothing to you when you hear that, but think if you served in the navy or army and you were in a life or death situation with the enemy, it's like Jesus took the bullet for you so you didn't have to. Most "Christian" churches today just tell you to be nice to others or pray one prayer and your into heaven. A certain part of the Christian religion has decieved America for many years but there is a branch that makes the most sense.
If you could care less about all of the detail, let me explain the Evolutionary Theory. Basically, we exploded from a giant star, and over time, there was complete order and perfection among life and the universe itself. It takes a HEAP of faith to believe in the god of chance if there is one because how could order come from chaos? If I write a letter to NASA and say that aliens burped up the universe they might believe it. But of coarse they wont believe that a greater being created the universe because they would have to give up their freedom, mind, and spirit to him. Thats how ignorant and stupid men(and women) are.
So I believe that Jesus was killed to save me and I owe him everything I have.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Daivia's Avatar
 
Name: Maeve
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Location: The Peach State

Posts: 878
Join Date: July 30th 2011

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz94 View Post
I am really interested to know what God (mainly talking about the Christian God here, but open to all religions) means to you...If you are a non-believer why? etc.
The Christian God is the Christian God. He means nothing in terms of the way I live my life anymore than Buddha determines the way I live my life.

God in general is a term that means 'something or someone who created and oversees the universe'. I don't believe in that God either. God, in my eyes, did not create me or the universe. Everything I see has already been created. It is just in a different configuration. The molecules that once made up what the universe was before humankind now make up the earth, the trees, and me.

I know this because I paid attention during sixth grade science class. I know this because it makes more sense than God not existing, then the universe coming in to being, then God getting the credit. If nothing existed before God made it, where was God?

What has God done for me? If I were to subscribe the Christian God, he:
-Punished me as a woman with periods and childbirth
-Made me bisexual
-Cursed me with arthritis, 1st-degree heart block, poor vision, allergies to grass, dogs, cats, morphine, and lactose.
-Planned for me to suffer immense pain as a result of afore-mentioned health issues.
-Watched over my entire life, including when I was in the restroom.
-Will punish me eternally for my finite crimes, including for being bisexual, not believing in him, being blasphemous, cursing my parents, coveting things I do not own, bearing false testimony, and holding other Gods before him.

Last edited by Daivia; January 29th 2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Sooooo many errors
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while
********
 
TheBabyEater's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: Iraw

Posts: 1,710
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantPegasister View Post

What has God done for me? If I were to subscribe the Christian God, he:
-Punished me as a woman with periods and childbirth
-Made me bisexual
-Cursed me with arthritis, 1st-degree heart block, poor vision, -allergies to grass, dogs, cats, morphine, and lactose.
-Planned for me to suffer immense pain as a result of afore-mentioned health issues.
-Watched over my entire life, including when I was in the restroom.
-Will punish me eternally for my finite crimes, including for being bisexual, not believing in him, being blasphemous, cursing my parents, coveting things I do not own, bearing false testimony, and holding other Gods before him.
I love this. Just saying.



Take me seriously.
I dare you.



  Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Liz94's Avatar
 
Name: Elizabeth
Age: 20
Gender: Genderqueer
Location: Woolton Hill

Posts: 466
Join Date: February 28th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 09:48 PM

The Christian God will not punish you for anything if you repent.
Nor will he punish you for being bisexual. I am a lesbian devote Christian. I have read the Bible and it does not condem loving commited relationships. ( see my thread - something I wanted to say and choosing to me gay/bi thread for more)

God doesn't give us pain and suffering. It is hard to explain, but I believe that when Adam and Eve gained knowledge of good and evil, evil things came into the world. God had tried to warn them, but they disobyed him so now there are evils in the world such as your health issues. God showed his love to humans by giving us a chance of eternal life and protection through him and later on through Jesus Christ.


"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Daivia's Avatar
 
Name: Maeve
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Location: The Peach State

Posts: 878
Join Date: July 30th 2011

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 29th 2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz94 View Post
The Christian God will not punish you for anything if you repent.
Nor will he punish you for being bisexual. I am a lesbian devote Christian. I have read the Bible and it does not condem loving commited relationships. ( see my thread - something I wanted to say and choosing to me gay/bi thread for more)

God doesn't give us pain and suffering. It is hard to explain, but I believe that when Adam and Eve gained knowledge of good and evil, evil things came into the world. God had tried to warn them, but they disobyed him so now there are evils in the world such as your health issues. God showed his love to humans by giving us a chance of eternal life and protection through him and later on through Jesus Christ.
Now, I am the first person you are responding to after you asked for our personal opinions. Just wanted to point that out before I begin.

A. Why would I repent? I don't believe. Remember how I said "If I were to subscribe the Christian God,"?
B. I invite you to read Genesis 19, Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, Romans 1:26-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, 1 Timothy 1:9-10, and Jude 1:7, all of which have been thrown in my face as evidence that I will go to hell for my homosexual behavior.
C. God "gave" me the pains of menstruation and childbirth, not to mention placing my husband to rule over me.

Quote:
To the woman he said, I will make your pains in childbearing very severe; with painful labor you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you.”
Did I miss the part where he created aches and pains and poor vision? Because all I see is God condemning his beloved creations to sweat and farm. Guess he hasn't looked at mainstream America lately. I guess you could use the excuse that, you know, "Satan did it".

Last edited by Daivia; January 29th 2012 at 10:13 PM.
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,666
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 30th 2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialynn4 View Post
When I tell people I believe in God they think I'm crazy. But basically what it means is that I believe in an afterlife, heaven or hell. The confeusing part, is that different people have different ways of thinking on how they can go to heaven. For example the Pope, Mary, or just praying and doing good deeds. But, I don't believe in that. God sent his son, Jesus, to die for all of us. It may mean nothing to you when you hear that, but think if you served in the navy or army and you were in a life or death situation with the enemy, it's like Jesus took the bullet for you so you didn't have to. Most "Christian" churches today just tell you to be nice to others or pray one prayer and your into heaven. A certain part of the Christian religion has decieved America for many years but there is a branch that makes the most sense.
If you could care less about all of the detail, let me explain the Evolutionary Theory. Basically, we exploded from a giant star, and over time, there was complete order and perfection among life and the universe itself. It takes a HEAP of faith to believe in the god of chance if there is one because how could order come from chaos? If I write a letter to NASA and say that aliens burped up the universe they might believe it. But of coarse they wont believe that a greater being created the universe because they would have to give up their freedom, mind, and spirit to him. Thats how ignorant and stupid men(and women) are.
So I believe that Jesus was killed to save me and I owe him everything I have.
I feel a little personally insulted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantPegasister View Post
-Watched over my entire life, including when I was in the restroom.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while
********
 
TheBabyEater's Avatar
 
Name: Marissa
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: Iraw

Posts: 1,710
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 30th 2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialynn4 View Post
If you could care less about all of the detail, let me explain the Evolutionary Theory. Basically, we exploded from a giant star, and over time, there was complete order and perfection among life and the universe itself. It takes a HEAP of faith to believe in the god of chance if there is one because how could order come from chaos? If I write a letter to NASA and say that aliens burped up the universe they might believe it. But of coarse they wont believe that a greater being created the universe because they would have to give up their freedom, mind, and spirit to him. Thats how ignorant and stupid men(and women) are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I feel a little personally insulted here.
I agree. Never in my life have I called any Christian stupid and ignorant for their beliefs. Comments like this (from both ends) are how petty fights start. Especially since it seems Ms. Mia here doesn't seem to fully understand Evolutionary Theory, or how NASA works. But hey, at least I didn't start it this time.



Take me seriously.
I dare you.



  Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
thebigmole's Avatar
 
Name: Taylor
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: Orlando, Fl

Posts: 1,666
Join Date: January 31st 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 30th 2012, 03:55 AM

Well and to comment a little more on Mia's original post, who in the world ever said this planet was perfection or had any order whatsoever. Seems to me we are still in chaos. Between natural disasters, diseases, the depletion of natural resources, the over population, etc... there doesn't seem to be much order to me. Also I'm pretty sure that the Evolutionary Theory and the Big Bang are two separate things and that the Big Bang doesn't say we exploded from a star, especially since stars implode not explode.


"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,502
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 30th 2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialynn4 View Post
It may mean nothing to you when you hear that, but think if you served in the navy or army and you were in a life or death situation with the enemy, it's like Jesus took the bullet for you so you didn't have to.
Are you implying navy and army personnel don't die if they believe in Christianity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialynn4 View Post
A certain part of the Christian religion has decieved America for many years but there is a branch that makes the most sense.
What branch would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialynn4 View Post
If you could care less about all of the detail, let me explain the Evolutionary Theory. Basically, we exploded from a giant star, and over time, there was complete order and perfection among life and the universe itself.
Now that you gave your hacked up version, let me explain what biological evolution actually is, although there's a good chance I'll be wasting my time with you so I'll keep it short and simple so you can understand. First, biological evolution is NOT the Big Bang Theory. The moment you say that it shows you haven't a clue what you're talking about and are too damn lazy to even look on Wikipedia. Second, evolution implies imperfection among life because if life were perfect, there would be no need to change. Third, stars don't explode, they implode. Biological evolution begins with the premise that life in some way came to Earth, whether it be from a meteor or aliens. Evolution is not conscious, there is no deciding and creating a perfect order. I'm not going to bother explaining it further until this has sunk through your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialynn4 View Post
But of coarse they wont believe that a greater being created the universe because they would have to give up their freedom, mind, and spirit to him. Thats how ignorant and stupid men(and women) are.
You realize you're also calling yourself ignorant and stupid, although that may very well be correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz94 View Post
It is hard to explain, but I believe that when Adam and Eve gained knowledge of good and evil, evil things came into the world.
God made the Tree of Evil before Adam and Eve, thus evil was already in the world. Depending on your view of evil, it didn't spread worldwide but it was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz94 View Post
God had tried to warn them, but they disobyed him so now there are evils in the world such as your health issues.
Please don't tell me you're going to become mialynn4's duplicate... .


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
JustACityBoy's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Location: New York

Posts: 368
Join Date: January 30th 2012

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 30th 2012, 09:13 AM

I am a proud Atheist. Ever since 10, even though my family encourages Buddhism.
To me, God is an invention made by man to solve those supernatural or unexplainable.

Religion has always impacted my life.. I was bhuddist, then Christian, but I'm a curious boy so I always browse Wikipedia. After a series of searches and experience, I concluded God simply cannot exist because of this -
If God is so perfect, why is his image not perfect? I made this quote, none of my friends think it'll be famous. This basically means that his own creations should be accepting him as God, but there are some people such as myself who do not believe in him. Also due to the fact of "eternal damnation", I cannot possibly believe that a God who loves us so much would send us to hell for simply not believing in Jesus, rather then the person's character.
And if the person is born into a bhuddist society? Then they would all be Bhuddist and thus, suffer hell.

but then again, another reason using science. Lets say God is basing people who enter heaven ONLY on personalities.
Personalities are changed with experience. A person who lived with nuns and no computer will consider niceness as the normal thing, the normal society.
Some children see killing everyday in Africa due to blood diamonds, and they pick up a gun and rape even at young ages.

I think only 25% of your personality is created by DNA, and 75% is through experience.

Last edited by JustACityBoy; January 30th 2012 at 06:29 PM.
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Liz94's Avatar
 
Name: Elizabeth
Age: 20
Gender: Genderqueer
Location: Woolton Hill

Posts: 466
Join Date: February 28th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 30th 2012, 04:40 PM

Maeve- those passages either do not comdem loving commited relationships or in the case of Leviticus also say that shaving, eating shell fish are wrong and that Eagels are an abomination and modern day Christians in the majority do not follow those rules now a days.

Secondly I asked for opinions becuase I am interested, but this doesn't mean I am not going to comment, particually on subjects such as homosexuality when I am a gay Christian. I post in this forum like many others to make people think as without thinking, revising and reviewing our beliefs and moral standards we will never better ourselves etc.

I called you upon the Christian aspects to go along with your hypothetical sceario

When it comes to evolution and the big bang, I also believe in them. I have looked at the scientific evidence and come to the conclusion that the big bang did happen, but I believe that God cause this, plus the big bang explains the creation of the universe, but not Earth.

I never ever call anyone stupid etc, whatever their opinions and fully accept people being athiest or any other religion.


"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Liz94's Avatar
 
Name: Elizabeth
Age: 20
Gender: Genderqueer
Location: Woolton Hill

Posts: 466
Join Date: February 28th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 30th 2012, 06:02 PM

The man and XX number - yes you can argue strongly that God created evil, he created it to test Adam and Eve's loyality, they disobeyed and as punishment evil came into the world. God showed his love by giving a way out, through redemption, and Jesus.


"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Isaiah_41:13 Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Isaiah_41:13's Avatar
 
Name: Marla Ann (Mar)
Gender: Female
Location: in God's hands

Posts: 88
Join Date: April 8th 2011

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 31st 2012, 01:01 AM

I'm Christian. I beleive in God and Jesus and taht Jesus died on the cross for me, basically your average christian response. I love god, he loves me, and he's done everything in the world for me. I beleive in angels and miracles too. and...yeah. idk how else to explain.


Isaiah 41:13

For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.


God is the God of second chances
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lugez's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 940
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 31st 2012, 03:10 AM

Not a believer in God. To put it simply, because I reasoned it out by thinking about it.

The closest thing that reality might have to "God" would be some kind of universal force or energy that transcends us (and this is even a stretch). Do I believe that this force would judge us by how we live and send our souls to a flaming pit of fire for eternity? No.
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,038
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 31st 2012, 11:48 AM

I generally think of "god" as a descriptor for any phenomenally powerful sentient being. Many of these are related to a particular human religion, but there are lots of other possible beings I would describe as godly that have never been conceived of by humans. There is no particular god that I think exists, and specifically I think that the gods of human religions don't exist, but I think it's possible that such beings in general might exist.

Now, about the Christian god specifically: I think that it is one of the most evil characters ever recorded in a story by humans. I think the entire mythology is an aberration of morality; I see very little good in the idea that humans are sinful creatures that need forgiveness from a judgmental creator. My favourite verse in the bible is Genesis 3:1-6 (Go ahead; look it up) because I think it perfectly encapsulate the message of Christianity: curiosity is one of our best traits, and Yahweh punishes an entire race for thousands of years because two people dared to learn. "Do not think. Do not grow. Do not dare. Submit and obey and love only me, your creator. You are not free; you are not good." I can think of nothing more disgusting than that.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Alcyone Offline
Infinite
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Alcyone's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Under a coat of snow

Posts: 10
Join Date: January 4th 2012

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 31st 2012, 01:13 PM

(The Christian) God to me is a belief created by humans with the purpose of explaining what couldn't be explained at the time. It's great that some people find comfort thinking that some higher power is watching over them and find God to be the motivation to get back on track with their lives, and I have absolutely no right to tell them that what they believe in is wrong, exactly like they have no right to tell me that I am wrong.
The most acceptable "form" of a God to me, as someone already put it, would be some kind of strong, abstract power that kind of "ties" the universe into one, but I'm not very big on that idea either.


Let the century pass me by
Standing under the night sky
Tomorrow means nothing

- Arcade Fire
   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Of Mike and Men Offline
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Of Mike and Men's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Location: Texas

Posts: 553
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 31st 2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz94 View Post
I am really interested to know what God ( mainly talking about the Christian God here, but open to all religions) means to you.

If you are a believer, why? how? what has God done for you? HOw has he changed your life? etc

If you are a non-believer why? etc.

My answer to this question is this...

God means the world to me, he is the most important thing in my life. He has saved me, brought me out of countless depressions, is always there for me, he loves me. He has filled me with love and warmth which I pass on to others. God is amazing and devoting my life to him is the least I can do.
I am a believer because I am, by His grace, hopeful.

He has shown me how weak and immoral I am, and how I fail daily. I know how inadequate and sinful I am. I know how faithless I am. How prideful I am, and how I have feigned humility.

He is everything I am not.

I can't really say I love Him, because He is love.

He is, to me, thankfully, the opposite of me. I, elsewise, don't know how to describe such a wide topic. Nor would.it be wise of me to claim any knowledge of Him.


It's amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people yourself is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral, self-righteous, bullying laziness.
-Penn Jillette

Last edited by Of Mike and Men; January 31st 2012 at 03:17 PM.
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Liz94's Avatar
 
Name: Elizabeth
Age: 20
Gender: Genderqueer
Location: Woolton Hill

Posts: 466
Join Date: February 28th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 31st 2012, 06:24 PM

I like these responses, and I agree that I should not judge others on their faith and generally only "Bible bash" ( don't really know how else to put it) unless I am asked a question concerning faith or if it is a close friend. I have no right to judge as it is only God that can do that.

As for God being a human created concept....it is something I believed once, as I was an athiest for the first 12 years of my life....then God revealed himself to me and my view obviously changed. But I can sympathise and see where people are coming from when they say this.


"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
I've been here a while
********
 
George^^'s Avatar
 
Name: George
Age: 16
Gender: Other
Location: Guess

Posts: 1,022
Join Date: January 20th 2012

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 31st 2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
If you are a believer, why? how? what has God done for you? HOw has he changed your life? etc

If you are a non-believer why? etc.
I am not a strong believer because, not only are plenty of his worshipers are homophobic people, but I lost someone special to me, and I prayed for them, and found out that not only did he die because of cancer, but others have too, and others still are. It was hard to believe in a "god" for a while because at this moment, there are people dying, people crying, people sick, people who feel desperate, for things that could be easily fixed.


I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
I've been here a while
********
 
George^^'s Avatar
 
Name: George
Age: 16
Gender: Other
Location: Guess

Posts: 1,022
Join Date: January 20th 2012

Re: What does God mean to you? - January 31st 2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
If you are a believer, why? how? what has God done for you? HOw has he changed your life? etc

If you are a non-believer why? etc.
I am not a strong believer because, not only are plenty of his worshipers are homophobic people, but I lost someone special to me, and I prayed for them, and found out that not only did he die because of cancer, but others have too, and others still are. It was hard to believe in a "god" for a while because at this moment, there are people dying, people crying, people sick, people who feel desperate, for things that could be easily fixed.


I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Ignite Offline
Skittles Minion

Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Ignite's Avatar
 
Age: 22
Location: FOR IRAW.

Posts: 6,573
Join Date: October 29th 2009

Re: What does God mean to you? - February 3rd 2012, 10:46 AM

"God" means nothing to me. I don't know. It's an odd subject. I really don't have anything against people who believe in him up until the moment where they are trying to convert me. Then, I'm not happy about it. You re doing me no favor, I'm good.



Stand before the people you fear and speak your mind
- even if your voice s h a k e s. -Maggie Kuhn

Rest in Peace Peter.
Skittlify
  Send a message via MSN to Ignite  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
I percept the apostrophe.

Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
Laurasaurus's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Location: Iraw Mob Squad.

Posts: 485
Join Date: October 26th 2011

Re: What does God mean to you? - February 4th 2012, 11:06 PM

I have better things to do than worry about God. I don't know if he exists and I quite frankly don't care. I think I am leaning more towards not believing, but I still don't know. If he does exist, he hasn't done anything for me. I'm not just going to worship someone for making my life a living hell, when He might not even be real.



I'm on leave right now, but please don't hesitate to PM or VM me if you want to chat, if you need advice, or if you need any help in my forums - I'm still around.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 5/28/13 - Color Guard Member

You can PM or VM me if you need help with anything.

Excellence can be attained if you care more than others think is wise, risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical, and expect more than others think is possible.

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.

All you need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie dust.




   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
god

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All material copyright 1998-2014, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.