TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Discrimination (for all members) - February 20th 2012, 09:17 AM

This is for atheists and theists alike, and even those of you who consider yourselves neither or in between.

Do you face discrimination in your communities, schools, workplaces ect. because of your particular dispositions regarding religious belief? And if so, how serious do you consider it?

I myself have found myself in the position of minor discrimination from a variety of Christians in numerous denominations, due to the kinds of messages espoused by churches in my area. That's not to say there aren't religious/theistic people that are fine and that I genuinely like as individuals. Even some of those that think they have the right to look down upon my ideaologies due to their own I get along with, or at least make an attempt. I have a Catholic friend that I make jokes with regarding the vast difference of our beliefs.
Mostly, I'd say, the discrimination I face related to people not questioning the "lessons" they've been taught, or deciding that they shouldn't silence them for the sake of peace.
I'm aware many of my messages on this forum may leave a different, perhaps more vehement, impression, but I value getting along with people in daily life more than I value espousing my own beliefs. I respect people for making their own decisions, but I do question the ammount of questionning they actually do. Nevertheless, it's none of my business, and I try to respect that. What I'm offended by is when they make ridiculous assertions about my charatcer purely because of my beliefs about deities, spirituality and afterlife, and it has certainly affected some of my valued friendships and my general perception of the people in question drastically. I find it quite unfortunate.

Please, everyone, share your stories.

One million miles away...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 20th 2012, 04:00 PM

The people who've been badgering you are truly only doing so because they wish to "save you" I personally don't believe that harassing people and trying to scare them with a hell they don't believe in. But honestly they do it out of some twisted and misguidied compassion.

I personally don't subscribe the the act of threatening them with hell, but rather doing nice things for strangers to somehow show them that at the very least religion has bettered me personally.

Again though, It's not my place to question your beliefs and push mine on yours.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ARootlessTree Offline
ಠ_ಠ
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Toz

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 20th 2012, 05:36 PM

Discrimination? Ever so slightly, but I don't walk around wearing "Hi, I'm an atheist" shirts. Most of the time, people who oppose will just say something along the lines of "have a blessed day!" and I thank them and move along.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 20th 2012, 05:53 PM

Generally, I don't face discrimination when it comes to my beliefs because I'm not one who asks or tells. The last time I did deal with it though was in high school. There were a bunch of students who all went to the same baptist church in our area, and every day their youth pastor would come into the school - I just felt that they were preaching to people all the time and it made a lot of people very uncomfortable. I won't go into details about things but I've always been a very accepting person and I welcome all people, no matter their religious background, with open arms. So I just never understood how someone can be so up themselves that they ignore the fact that people are just people at the end of the day regardless of what religion they practice, how the look and dress etc.

Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 20th 2012, 05:54 PM

I'm not an athiest, if pushed I would say I'm Catholic since that's how I was baptized. I've only faced judgment from one person back in high school. He was bullied constantly in earlier years and then he "found the Lord" and decided that he knew better than everyone else and that it was his place to tell us we were all wrong if we didn't agree with him. Even his friends who shared some or all of his beliefs thought he took it too far and stood up to him when he started in on a friend of a Baptist friend who was gay.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 20th 2012, 07:34 PM

I don't think I've ever really been discriminated against for my lack of religious beliefs, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if I am at some point in time discriminated against for my sexual orientation and lack of belief that I need to somehow change myself because of it. When it comes to religion and philosophy, I say believe in whatever floats your boat. But don't get after other people because something different floats their boat. I've just never gotten into religion because 1. I wasn't raised with a religious influence around me; 2. I don't find many religious beliefs to be very logical or sensible; and 3. I think religion often creates more problems than it solves.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 20th 2012, 07:47 PM

I wouldn't say I was discriminated but someone was harassing me about my religious beliefs (I am Agnostic) and I had to report their behaviour to a higher authority so I wouldn't feel threatened/slightly annoyed.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 20th 2012, 08:46 PM

I have been before, but I wouldn't consider it anything serious. People like to make fun of me for liking Christian music, so they call me a Jesus freak or say I'm "obsessed with my religion." If they really knew me they would realize I don't even go to church. xD

But as far as being seriously bullied or discriminated against, I've never experienced anything like that. I'm just the kind of person that doesn't wear her religion on her sleeve. I think it annoys people when you rub it in their face, so I try not to do that. If someone asks me what religion I am, I will tell them. But I don't go around broadcasting it because I can see how that would get on people's nerves.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 20th 2012, 08:56 PM

Not really. I keep my ideals to myself, if someone asks I might tell them, I might not simply because I don't see why people need to know

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 21st 2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
The people who've been badgering you are truly only doing so because they wish to "save you" I personally don't believe that harassing people and trying to scare them with a hell they don't believe in. But honestly they do it out of some twisted and misguidied compassion.

I personally don't subscribe the the act of threatening them with hell, but rather doing nice things for strangers to somehow show them that at the very least religion has bettered me personally.

Again though, It's not my place to question your beliefs and push mine on yours.

- Justin
No, they're not trying to "save" me at all. There're just being insulting.
It's not like I run around and shout my ideals either. A few people found out because they asked for my religious beliefs and I answered honestly. I hang out in a big group, so now they all know.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 21st 2012, 04:40 AM

Mr. Self destruct: in which case they are assholes who utilize religion to make themselves "spiritually better" which is a load of bullshit meaning "I like to be condescending to others!"

Assholes exist in every group. What can you do?

- Justin

Technologic

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 21st 2012, 06:36 AM

I made the mistake of taking a survey from a Christian society at my school and part of it included putting my dorm address on there, something I thought they were doing to take statistics of survey takers. Really, they are now using it to send people to my dorm every other week to remind me about their bible studies. I have told them countless times I'm atheist, and honestly, it's RIDICULOUSLY obnoxious. I used to also be bullied about my religion in elementary school, a lot of kids wouldn't hang out with me at like, age seven, because I told them I did not believe in god, and they used to tell me I was going to hell if I didn't start going to church, and I was honestly confusde at the time and I would say to them innocently "You can't go somewhere you do not believe in." It's pretty weird. Honestly, at the age I'm at now, I have a lot of Christian friends, not every Christian has to be a Jesus push down your throat jerk, I'm really unsure what specific people's problems are.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 21st 2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Mr. Self destruct: in which case they are assholes who utilize religion to make themselves "spiritually better" which is a load of bullshit meaning "I like to be condescending to others!"

Assholes exist in every group. What can you do?

- Justin
Believe me, I'm perfectly aware.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 22nd 2012, 07:14 PM

I wear a mala (prayer beads) around my neck so most people realize I'm not christian right away. And unfortunately around here thats a big deal. Atheists and Hindus here have no problem and we get along well but the christians seem to enjoy persecuting everyone who do not agree with them. I've even been publicly shunned by my parents church for not agreeing with them.

It's sad to me cause I see it everywhere around... the christians say they want peace and they say they're the ones being persecuted but I've never seen so much hate come from one group.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 23rd 2012, 11:18 AM

I've been discriminated by theists and non, alike. Namely because I do not believe the same way most professing Christians do. I find the Church very hypocritical, in America. As Kierkegaard had once mused about the Church:

“The matter is quite simple. The bible is very easy to understand. But we Christians are a bunch of scheming swindlers. We pretend to be unable to understand it because we know very well that the minute we understand, we are obliged to act accordingly. Take any words in the New Testament and forget everything except pledging yourself to act accordingly. My God, you will say, if I do that my whole life will be ruined. How would I ever get on in the world? Herein lies the real place of Christian scholarship. Christian scholarship is the Church’s prodigious invention to defend itself against the Bible, to ensure that we can continue to be good Christians without the Bible coming too close. Oh, priceless scholarship, what would we do without you? Dreadful it is to fall into the hands of the living God. Yes it is even dreadful to be alone with the New Testament.” ― Søren Kierkegaard, Provocations: Spiritual Writings of Kierkegaard

I'm considered an apostate, by some. I don't consider myself saved. Though, I regard the Savior as Christ. I believe what the Bible says is true. Though, our interpretations of it are probably all wrong.

At any rate, yes, I've been discriminated. And I find it is good. I'd rather be called a heretic than to be respected.as someone spiritual. After all, Christ was considered a heretic by the religious. Not that I am like Christ, but its nice to know He was one too.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

Last edited by ThisWillDestroyYou; February 23rd 2012 at 11:23 AM.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 23rd 2012, 02:22 PM

I'm discriminated against every time certain people are on the "Free Speech Green" on campus. Even people of the same faith of them get discriminated. I also faced similar problems in Elementary, Middle, and High school when teachers just assumed everyone in the class knew examples of stuff from the Bible.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 23rd 2012, 04:40 PM

I have faced a little bit of discrimination for being a Christian, but it hasn't been too bad. There hasn't been any bullying or anything, it's mostly just my Catholic-but-not-Christian family telling me that I shouldn't have left the Catholic church, that my ideas are wrong/stupid, that me being something other than Catholic is an embarassment to my family, etc. I've also been told that I'm doing it for my friends and not for God (even though I met my friends AT my new church AFTER I got saved...so tell me how that works).

Last edited by Megan1; February 23rd 2012 at 10:05 PM.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 23rd 2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryochan View Post
I wear a mala (prayer beads) around my neck so most people realize I'm not christian right away. And unfortunately around here thats a big deal. Atheists and Hindus here have no problem and we get along well but the christians seem to enjoy persecuting everyone who do not agree with them. I've even been publicly shunned by my parents church for not agreeing with them.

It's sad to me cause I see it everywhere around... the christians say they want peace and they say they're the ones being persecuted but I've never seen so much hate come from one group.
Dude, you have just proven that Christians are persecuted by saying "I've neve seen so much hate from one group".

How about Al-Queda? The Nazis? I can think of many groups more hateful than modern Christainity in general.

I agree, it's wrong for you to be treated badly based on your religious beliefs. You parent's should support you, and so should your community, but then you turn right around and do the same thing to Christainity by generalizing us and saying we're the most hateful group alive, which goes against the fundamental teachings of the Bible, and the ten comandments that are the basis of our relgion.

- Justin

Technologic

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 23rd 2012, 04:46 PM

I've only ever had problems from militant athiests because I say I'm a bit spiritual. So they feel the need to correct me.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Cisko Offline
The Family Dog
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Austin

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 23rd 2012, 09:02 PM

Roughly 75% of my school's population consists of militant Christian extremists, so yeah... I get discriminated against quite a bit whenever the subject of religion is brought up.
Infact, I get 'picked on' more for that than watching MLP, which I thought was a bit funny.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 24th 2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Dude, you have just proven that Christians are persecuted by saying "I've neve seen so much hate from one group".

How about Al-Queda? The Nazis? I can think of many groups more hateful than modern Christainity in general.

I agree, it's wrong for you to be treated badly based on your religious beliefs. You parent's should support you, and so should your community, but then you turn right around and do the same thing to Christainity by generalizing us and saying we're the most hateful group alive, which goes against the fundamental teachings of the Bible, and the ten comandments that are the basis of our relgion.

- Justin
None of those groups i have encountered and so cannot say anything about them.

As for generalizing... when i actually encounter a christian who treats someone else like an equal human being then i will change my view.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 24th 2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryochan View Post

Kid, I'm an atheist, but come on. There are plenty of discriminating atheists out there. I'm not one, I'm open to whatever religion people want to practice, but I've met them. There are hateful people of every religion/non-religion. And I've met kind Christians as well.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 24th 2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee❤ View Post

Kid, I'm an atheist, but come on. There are plenty of discriminating atheists out there. I'm not one, I'm open to whatever religion people want to practice, but I've met them. There are hateful people of every religion/non-religion. And I've met kind Christians as well.
Im a bit confused. I thought the thread was about what we have encountered personally not generalizing the worlds belief systems. Im speaking of who i have met and the people around me and my community.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Discrimination (for all members) - February 24th 2012, 06:19 AM

Well aside from this site, I keep my views on religion to myself. I mean my brother knows, and my mom knows, and my dad and I have never outright discussed it (because he is a bit more into God) but I'm sure he knows. Other than that my extended family is pretty religious, and it's just best not to poke the bear you know. Luckily it's never really an issue that comes up anyway. They rarely talk about their beliefs when we see them anyway, which is good because most of them are anti-gay and I can only hold my tongue so much.

As for people not related to me. I mean I don't go around talking about my beliefs, because honestly they are MY beliefs why should anyone else care. Thing is most of my closest friends are heavily Christian, and I just keep my mouth shut when they talk about it and the occasional nod, just because I don't have many friends and since their beliefs don't bother me I don't want to lose them because my beliefs may bother them. Which yes when written down sounds stupid, but I'd have no friends if I let my opinions out all of the time.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

Closed Thread