TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives


You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Arrivals and Departures Whether you've just arrived or you're going away for a while, let us know here!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Dr.Bobby's Avatar
 
Age: 61
Gender: Male

Posts: 864
Join Date: September 9th 2011

There's a Doctor in the house! - September 12th 2011, 01:29 PM

Hello!

I am a licensed Child, adolescent, and family psychologist in clinical practice and Uni teaching, with 25+ years experience. I was working with a teenage patient who told me this site had helped him and encouraged me to check it out and participate, so here I am!

I hope I am welcome here, this place seems well run and extremely helpful, and it's goals seem similar to mine.

If you'd like me to try to help, feel free to send a link of your post.


PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough
*********
 
Eternal Dreamer ♥'s Avatar
 
Name: Kayla Christine.
Age: 25

Posts: 3,076
Blog Entries: 213
Join Date: June 15th 2010

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 12th 2011, 08:12 PM

Welcome aboard : )
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
Eternal's Avatar
 
Name: Nicole
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: PDX

Posts: 12,425
Join Date: October 14th 2010

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 12th 2011, 11:02 PM

Welcome to TeenHelp Dr. Bobby


And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Fading Light.'s Avatar
 
Gender: bird bird
Location: the empty house

Posts: 9,234
Blog Entries: 69
Join Date: September 20th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 13th 2011, 09:05 AM

Hello and welcome to TeenHelp.
I've seen you around already, and I have to say, it's great to have someone with your wealth of knowledge and experience on the site.
Have you considered applying for the staff team? I think it's something you might like. The link for applications is here.
I'll be seeing you, then.


if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Disclosure.'s Avatar
 
Age: 26
Gender: Female

Posts: 5,698
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: October 9th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 13th 2011, 11:23 AM

Heya! Welcome to Teenhelp!
I'm Rianna and I'm a Live Help Operator who offers support and advice to users that need it through the Live Help System which is similar to an Instant Messaging Program.

If you need anything at all feel free to message me.
Take care.


   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran
*************
 
Hypothesis.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dez
Age: 23
Gender: They/them.
Location: Connecticut, USA

Posts: 19,308
Blog Entries: 139
Join Date: November 16th 2010

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 13th 2011, 11:29 AM

Welcome to TH! I'm Dez, just a regular user here. I'm glad you joined! Have a nice day!


   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
MegaMadness's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: Aussie Land

Posts: 5,564
Blog Entries: 16
Join Date: October 11th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 13th 2011, 11:53 AM

Welcome! It's great to see that you see here to help!


Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Everglow.'s Avatar
 
Name: Hollie
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: London

Posts: 4,792
Blog Entries: 721
Join Date: January 19th 2011

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 14th 2011, 07:23 PM

Hiya! Welcome to the site!
I'm Hollie and I'm a buddy here, so if you have any questions let me know and I'll help you out.
I really hope you enjoy it here. Since the site is similar to your goals, I'm sure you will! It is indeed a brilliant place and I'm glad people have recommended it to you!
It's a pleasure to have ya here.
Take care!


❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Nomophobia's Avatar
 
Name: Muse
Gender: Female
Location: UK, Wales

Posts: 866
Blog Entries: 300
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 15th 2011, 03:42 PM

nice to have you!


"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while
********
 
Obliviate's Avatar
 
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Location: Earth, England

Posts: 1,633
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: June 6th 2010

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 15th 2011, 04:29 PM

Hey. Welcome to TeenHelp.

Glad to hear we've helped one of your patients out.
See you around some time.




   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
zumbaqueen2012 Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
zumbaqueen2012's Avatar
 
Age: 31
Gender: N/A

Posts: 2,494
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 15th 2011, 08:49 PM

Welcome to TeenHelp.
I'm Mia.
  Send a message via MSN to zumbaqueen2012  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Nutty Nat Offline
nuttychick but friendly :)
Average Joe
***
 
Nutty Nat's Avatar
 
Name: Natalie
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Yorkshire,England

Posts: 181
Join Date: July 29th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 16th 2011, 02:02 PM

Welcome to the site


Love you Naomi R.I.P i miss you loads but i will never forget you
08/11/92 - 10/11/92

R.I.P Gill - I love you as a second mum,will never forget you and all your advice,oh and i will keep smiling like you wanted see
Going to try continue helping people like you wanted and you did,hope i'm making you proud
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while
********
 
Whisperer's Avatar
 
Name: Alessa
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 1,937
Blog Entries: 118
Join Date: May 17th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 17th 2011, 01:44 AM

Hola! I think it'll be nice for people to have some professional advice every once and a while since in all my posts I have to mention I'm not a professional haha. Welcome!


Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Fabrication's Avatar
 
Name: Fallon
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Location: Kansas

Posts: 585
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: April 20th 2011

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 17th 2011, 05:30 AM

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay
you joined on my birthday


"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken
   
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
TJ- Offline
I am your master.
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
TJ-'s Avatar
 
Name: TJ
Gender: Male
Location: C-c-cali

Posts: 209
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: February 3rd 2010

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 25th 2011, 09:17 PM

Not to be a downer here. But is there anyway you could confirm that you're really a doctor with a staff member here? I'm sure it would make everyone feel much easier knowing you're not just random guy faking it.


12:12 PM [Rob] Apart from when n**bs put stuff in their signatures.
12:12 PM [Rob] But then I edit the signatures, ban them, and initiate a full scale cover up.
5.20.10
7.9.10
  Send a message via AIM to TJ- Send a message via MSN to TJ-  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
alliannasmomma5 Offline
~live.laugh.love~
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
alliannasmomma5's Avatar
 
Name: Mandii
Gender: Female
Location: where ever i end up

Posts: 544
Blog Entries: 13
Join Date: July 5th 2011

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 01:14 PM

welcome to TH!


Allianna Faith 3/10/11-9/18/11 </3
You never know what you've got till it's gone..



   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
SexySquirrel Offline
<(+_+)>--反叛--<(+_+)>
Average Joe
***
 
SexySquirrel's Avatar
 
Name: Rebekah
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: America

Posts: 195
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 06:16 PM

I agree with TJ to be honest, is there a way you could fax your certificate? or scan it in to the computer and send it to Rob or something? I think if someone is going to be a "Doctor" on TH, one of the admins should see proof...
Welcome to TeenHelp




Joined TH : September 10, 2005
You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go.
~Dr. Seuss
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Dr.Bobby's Avatar
 
Age: 61
Gender: Male

Posts: 864
Join Date: September 9th 2011

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .TJ. View Post
Not to be a downer here. But is there anyway you could confirm that you're really a doctor with a staff member here? I'm sure it would make everyone feel much easier knowing you're not just random guy faking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Panda View Post
I agree with TJ to be honest, is there a way you could fax your certificate? or scan it in to the computer and send it to Rob or something? I think if someone is going to be a "Doctor" on TH, one of the admins should see proof...
Welcome to TeenHelp
First, thanks to all for the welcome. I appreciate it.

I did notify Adms and have yet to hear back. It would have been preferable for my participation to come about thru some kind of official recognition, maybe an announcement and even a special forum for those looking for professional advice.. I understand the desire for some form of confirmation of who I am, yet there would always be some who would doubt the authenticity of anything presented online. And frankly, I'm not so crazy about my own personal info being in cyberspace forever. So, like most things online, there's an element of trust involved. I'm confident that those who take the time to get to know me will see that the knowledge and sophistication of my responses couldn't come from a wannabee. Besides, as I've said elsewhere, impersonating a psychologist is a crime, I'd be subject to arrest, even online.

If the consensus is that I shouldn't be here, I'm happy to leave without any drama. However, I'd like to think the issue is more about quality (which is demonstrable) not credentials (which aren't).


PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough
*********
 
escape_thereal_world's Avatar
 
Name: Kelly
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Charleston, SC

Posts: 3,097
Blog Entries: 98
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 06:53 PM

I think you are fine to stay as long as you don't go around "diagnosing" people on here. Otherwise, your credentials shouldn't mean anything. You are some with knowledge and the willingness to help. That should be welcome, and it is from my view.

But, again, as long as you don't say "I'm certain you have Bipolar Disorder and you will need this medicine, etc" And you have not done that. So, welcome and stay
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,663
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world View Post
I think you are fine to stay as long as you don't go around "diagnosing" people on here. Otherwise, your credentials shouldn't mean anything. You are some with knowledge and the willingness to help. That should be welcome, and it is from my view.

But, again, as long as you don't say "I'm certain you have Bipolar Disorder and you will need this medicine, etc" And you have not done that. So, welcome and stay
As a professional he will be the first to tell you that even he can't diagnose anyone online.


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Kyeto-X's Avatar
 
Name: Will
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: USS Magellan-B On assignment in Delta Quadrant

Posts: 808
Join Date: April 27th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 07:23 PM

Welcome to Teenhelp I'm Will, a HelpLINK mentor here and a current social worker major.

And yes, while I agree that we cannot trust your credentials on here, from what I've seen form your post, you are fine. You just give solid advise with lots of infomation when needed. Which is exactly how I handle these things as an amateur. As long as no one looks too deep into your post simply because "you must know more" and NOT because it is sound advice.


"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"


"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?
**********
 
bitesize's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Ireland

Posts: 3,944
Blog Entries: 321
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 08:13 PM

Cool, I'm leaning towards to the idea of a career in child psychology. Nice to meet you. (: x


Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
.....
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
...
...
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby View Post
It would have been preferable for my participation to come about thru some kind of official recognition, maybe an announcement and even a special forum for those looking for professional advice..
I don't bother commenting in threads in the introductory area but yours is obviously interesting. To me you're just another user on this site who, like all users, brings their own unique experiences and education from their life. Legality aside, I don't care if you're playing "pretend doctor" because you cannot easily benefit in some corrupt way.
As long as you don't frequently say in your posts that there is a quality assurance because you're a doctor, or state the post may be more valid because you're a professional, I see no reason for you to prove you are who you say you are. Besides, even if you do, as you already mentioned, you'll still have skeptics so it'll be circular.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
TakeTheLeap's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,309
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 08:52 PM

To be perfectly honest, I can see the positivity in having a professional psychologist here to give advice; however, I feel that it's walking a fine line and COULD cause someone to not seek professional advice when it is needed, "because I can talk to Dr. Bobby online."
Even with impersonation (whether that's the case or not), let's pose a scenario: A person in the congregation of a local church gets suddenly ill and is rendered unconscious. Someone immediately calls for a doctor, and the doctor you get is someone who has a doctoral degree in English. Helpful? No.
Now, do I think that's the case here? No. Do I know for sure? No. What bothers me is that you continue to promote yourself as a doctor, saying, "Yes, there is a doctor in the house," and, "Yes. I am a psychologist," which seems to automatically give you more validity. I feel that you could be just as effective in helping users without ever having mentioned your degree or practice.

I'll admit, I'm skeptical. I will continue to be skeptical. I can trust you with advice as a person, but to ask me to trust you because impersonating a doctor is illegal but there's no other basis for me to trust you.... I'm a bit nervous about that.

Regardless, welcome to the site!


“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Stargazed.'s Avatar
 

Posts: 3,532
Join Date: October 3rd 2010

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 08:53 PM

Welcome to the site Dr.Bobby. I don't see the big deal of you being here and like everyone else said, as long as you don't try to diagnose people online (which is near impossible) or throw around the fact that you're a doctor then I don't see a reason to "prove who you are". Most people on here are anonymous anyways and you deserve the right to stay anonymous too. With that said, welcome to TeenHelp and I hope you enjoy it here as much as we do. By the way, I'm going to be studying psychology too to be an adolescent drug and alcohol counselor.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Spellbound Offline
LGRW
I can't get enough
*********
 
Spellbound's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Girl
Location: USA

Posts: 3,334
Blog Entries: 368
Join Date: December 29th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 09:58 PM

Hi everyone,
As one of the moderators of this forum I would like to remind everyone that the purpose of Arrivals and Departures is to welcome new users. Anything else should be taken to PM rather than discussed publicly on the forums.
Thank you!

And to the OP - Welcome to the site! It's nice to meet you. (:

-Katelyn.


  Send a message via MSN to Spellbound  
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 10:20 PM

Welcome to the site - always good to have someone from another perspective among us.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
BlueWolf's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Georgia, USA

Posts: 352
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 14th 2010

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 26th 2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
I don't bother commenting in threads in the introductory area but yours is obviously interesting. To me you're just another user on this site who, like all users, brings their own unique experiences and education from their life. Legality aside, I don't care if you're playing "pretend doctor" because you cannot easily benefit in some corrupt way.
As long as you don't frequently say in your posts that there is a quality assurance because you're a doctor, or state the post may be more valid because you're a professional, I see no reason for you to prove you are who you say you are. Besides, even if you do, as you already mentioned, you'll still have skeptics so it'll be circular.
I completely agree with this, however, I have noticed that in some of your posts you have "state the post may be more valid because you're a professional." I don't think this is a good idea. This place is for us to help one another and provide advice.


Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict
************
 
Fading Light.'s Avatar
 
Gender: bird bird
Location: the empty house

Posts: 9,234
Blog Entries: 69
Join Date: September 20th 2009

Re: There's a Doctor in the house! - September 27th 2011, 01:32 AM

As the other moderator of this forum, I'd also like to remind you that this is the Arrivals & Departures forum, where you're meant to welcome or farewell users - not argue about whether or not a user is who they say they are. I think that this thread is becoming less about welcoming the user and more about trying to discredit him, so I'm going to close this. PM me if you disagree.


if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
doctor, house

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.