TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Unhappy Saw the doctor today... - September 14th 2011, 12:55 PM

And basically I didn't tell her about my eating problems. I have an undiagnosed ENDOS and I'm also extremely overweight. Well it's obvious from the scale especially that I am and now she's decided that we're going to "get aggressive" about my weight and I'm going on a medically supervised protein diet. I'm scared it'll trigger a relapse because I'm trying to get better but with my eating disorder, I was either binge-ing or not eating at all, depending on how I felt, and well I'm scared because I would also purge and I've done this self detox off the laxatives, it was hard and I don't want to go back to that. I don't know what to do. She was even considering having us look into gastric bypass... I'm only 15...

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20 Points: 20,821, Level: 20

Re: Saw the doctor today... - September 14th 2011, 01:54 PM

I think you should tell her about your concerns. Your doctor is there for one reason: to help you. Keeping a health concern to yourself isn't gonna get you much of anywhere. Let her know how you are feeling about all this--give her some feedback. I'd bet you anything that she really WANTS to know how you are feeling about all this. I hope things work out okay for you.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Saw the doctor today... - September 14th 2011, 03:24 PM

Cheye, how come you didn't tell her? We can't help you if we don't know what's going on.

So, she's (rightly) assessed you're overweight and (rightly) decided to offer treatment. However, the treatment is based on incomplete information, so it won't be as effective as it otherwise would, or worse, it could be detrimental, since it doesn't take your self inflicted eating issues into account. This isn't at all good! Besides, her treatment probably won't work, and she'll recognize that and begin to ask questions. Which, eventually, I assume you'll answer.

So, why waste time and engage in a treatment that (at best) won't work, or (at worst) might be harmful, and just call her up and discuss what's really going on for you so she can devise a proper treatment?

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Saw the doctor today... - September 15th 2011, 03:45 AM

This must be so rough, I'm sorry Cheye! This has been going on so long, and it's horrible to watch this harm you.

I know it's hard, but you need to tell her the entire situation! With a diagnosis, your treatment plan can vary drastically, this may cause relapse and for you to harm yourself more. We're always here for you, please talk to him! You deserve to be happy with your body, and be able to be healthy as well.

Message me if you ever need, I'm always here!

something burning?
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Re: Saw the doctor today... - September 15th 2011, 01:47 PM

Thank you guys. I guess I'm just so wary to say it because my aunt was in the room at the time as well and she knows I have this undiagnosed EDNOS, but she doesn't know about the purging, only about binge-ing or eating very little. And it's just hard because I don't see anyone, even a doctor believing that someone who is grossly obese BMI wise and otherwise stating, would have an eating disorder where they also restrict or starve. It's not even diagnosed and I probably wouldn't fit any criteria even for an EDNOS and I don't want her to think I'm lying just because I'm fat. I'll tell her when she has us go in for the results of a blood test I took yesterday.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
Closed Thread