TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Lifestyle and Hobbies Use this forum to discuss your favourite hobbies and interests.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

Looking for something more - March 24th 2021, 09:24 PM

Hey everyone,

I know that in the past I had mentioned wanting to form a peer based support group for anyone who is working on the Complex PTSD workbook. Well I think it is safe to say I paused on this idea. and also that I have identified that part of what I desire is to connect to people and the stories of their lives. It does not have to be in the form of a workbook.

I am now realizing my desire to connect with other writers, performers, artists, musicians, etc. I miss facilitated discussions back in the old chat though those were mental health themed. I wonder if a similar idea to a facilitated discussion but on topics of creative work and self expression can be made. As well as opportunity for members to share original work, offer feedback and support in real time through the chat feature.

I have consistently used the self expression forum for approximately 8 years now, wow!! I am looking for something deeper though. Something with more opportunity to connect with other people. There is something meaningful about having a group who can witness your creative journey. I tend to write a lot of journal entries and poems and I am interested in getting more into writing realistic fiction as well as other forms of fiction. I have also considered writing memoir style pieces and I just feel intimidated.

I know I can technically take a writing course and I may just do that But it is two different experiences to take a specific course such as watercolor painting techniques and whatnot, complete work based on curriculum, taking instruction from a teacher and to be involved in an open community. Both are useful for different reasons.

I did join an art therapy group via zoom that meets once a week for 50 minutes and it is coming to an close at the end of April. I definitely benefited from it and the art therapist facilitator is great. At the same time, it is not a place for me to explore fiction writing for instance as during the 50 minutes we have 15 minutes of meditation practice, 15 minutes of art making and then sharing that meeting's piece of art.

I am wondering if anyone can relate to this feeling of wanting a community of creative folks? So that there are experienced helping the beginners and such.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Looking for something more - March 24th 2021, 09:48 PM

Yes, I can definitely relate to this! I've always wanted to join a writing group, but could never find one that suited me. I think it would be a fantastic idea to have a writing group amongst those who enjoy writing. We do have the Discord chat room now; I'm not sure if you've been on there yet since it launched, but it's possible for PCs to set up different "channels" on the TeenHelp's Discord server. If you're really interested in this, I suggest bringing it up to Rob, Robin, or submitting it through this form.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,623, Level: 42 Points: 88,623, Level: 42 Points: 88,623, Level: 42

Re: Looking for something more - March 27th 2021, 02:16 AM

I think this is a great idea!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

Re: Looking for something more - March 30th 2021, 06:15 PM

so a few updates since I posted this^

-I went to a zoom poetry and prose sharing and shared my poem "Her Story Isn't Over Yet" and it went ok. I was very nervous. I got some meaningful feedback, showing areas I can improve particularly in presentation skills.

-I joined a discord server for neurodivergent writers and artists. It has been a few days and it isn't as active as I was hoping but it is going ok.

Thank you so much Sauorkan because your idea about the discord led me to joining an existing one and I see how much fun and useful discord chats can be!

Thank you Dusk for sharing that your thoughts. It helps to know others can relate
Closed Thread