TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Guest Advice Box For unregistered guests to ask all their questions and gain support.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

How to help - April 13th 2018, 06:26 AM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]Hi,

One of my uncle (well not my uncle, it's my cousin 's uncle but I treat him like he's my own uncle) is suffering from depression and is not coping well. I have suffered from severe depression in my teenage years but am recovered because of the fantastic help I got. I really want to help my uncle through his depression seeing as I have suffered from it before but I don't know how to help him.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How to help - April 13th 2018, 01:27 PM

Hey there,

I think you have to ask yourself if this person wants help. I know that's a tough question but there are some people who are not willing to accept help for things like depression. If this person is not ready to accept help there isn't a ton you can do. You can try and talk to them about seeking help through counseling but if they are closed off all you can do is let them know that you are there to support them if they'd like.

If they are open to getting help than it might help to make suggestions on how such as giving them the idea to seek out therapy. Let them know that if you'd be open to helping them find someone. You could also try and talk to them about what helped you. It's important to acknowledge that what helped you might not help everyone. However, sometimes hearing other people's stories can help others to believe in and seek out help.

Does this person have support from friend's and family? It sounds as though he does and it might be worth talking to everyone about trying to let him know he is loved. When people struggle with depression they sometimes start feeling like they aren't loved. If you all let him know he is cared for it might help him a bit. The biggest thing that you or others around you can do is give him support. He has to do most of the hard work of getting better himself but having people in his corner will probably help.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Re: How to help - April 25th 2018, 05:29 PM

If you are in the UK, it may be possible to get help for him through Carers.

https://www.carersuk.org/

You yourself could be his carer, too, and he might be able to get a monetary allowance, or you have it specially for him. This organisation does many wonderful things and helps needy people have a quality of life.

Wishing you all the best,

~ Belle

Closed Thread