TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Neurodiversity This forum is for everything about neurodiversity, such as autism, ADHD or dyslexia - talk about here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19 Points: 18,927, Level: 19

Advice for Neurotypical Partners - September 6th 2021, 03:07 PM

Hey everyone,
I am neurotypical but my long-time partner is neurodiverse (ADHD diagnosis since childhood, "forgot" about it, re-diagnosed last year).

Basically, just wanted to start a thread for advice for those of us with partners who are neurodiverse - are there things that work well for you in your relationships? Do you need things phrased in certain ways? etc.

For example, if you are someone that struggles with time blindness, what do you find works for you - either that you implement yourself or that your partner does to help. What do you find helps you have those tough, emotional conversations if you struggle with RSD or emotional regulation?

I'll start - my partner is terrible with time when it comes to anything other than his own work. I started a shared google calendar with him pretty early into the relationship to ensure that he always had all the information he needed to try and remember and/or get there on time (or not hours late, lol). We also take separate cars when something is important because I get incredibly anxious being late (which by my personal standards is being 10 minutes early) and will typically want to leave earlier than him and trying to make him leave anything is always another whole thing (he will then stand and talk to people by the door for another half hour, for example).

Stacey
Original join date: 27th September, 2004.
HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Advice for Neurotypical Partners - March 21st 2022, 04:58 PM

I'm not in a relationship and don't have a diagnosis (though I think I might be autistic). I think that if I were in a relationship, or even a friendship, with a neurotypical person, I would want them to:

Avoid using hints. I can pick up on some hints but not all. I'm either going to completely miss the hint, or overthink and worry about whether something is a hint and what the other person wants/expects. I might think that something is a hint when it actually isn't but by then, it's too late and I've already acted on it.

Ask, don't assume. Somehow I attract people that think all sorts of things about me or my life and end up making decisions for me or acting on their thoughts (actually projections) without asking me first. I'm then horrified with the other person who does not understand why I'm not grateful for their 'help'.

Give me a way out of something. I might say 'yes' but I realise I have a habit of going along with things or agreeing when I don't really want to. I find it hard to disagree or get out of things so saying something along the lines of 'you don't have to if you don't want to' and then actually meaning that (not getting annoyed/irritated if I backtrack).

Understand and reassure me. I think I struggle with RSD. It's not too bad right now, but in a relationship it can get really bad. I know it's illogical and not rational. I know there is little reason to be upset. And I worry about being clingy or controlling, and pushing people away by being needy. I need to be honest and get taken seriously so that when I seek reassurance, it's not just empty words. So I need the other person to do their best to be understanding and realise that it's scary to open up when you know RSD doesn't make any sense.

That's all I can think of for now. Though this could apply to any relationship, but in particular those who struggle with anxiety or past trauma.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
Closed Thread