TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Money Matters This forum is for support with financial issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Vacation? - April 25th 2021, 09:01 PM

How do you all budget for a trip? Do you set a spending limit for items etc? I know about how much money I have available to spend and I was thinking of setting a spending limit at each location.

Suggestions would be great, thanks!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Re: Vacation? - April 28th 2021, 07:46 PM

1. Do as much research as possible beforehand of what the prices are in the place you're going to visit. Know the average price of basic products (so that you know if a certain shop is overcharging) or other stuff like bus tickets (so that you're able to estimate your spendings and search for alternatives if needed). This applies mainly to trips abroad.
2. Reduce spendings on transport by walking/cycling/hitch-hiking whenever possible.
3. Reduce spendings on food by shopping & preparing your own meals instead of visiting bars/restaurants.
4. Keep track of the money you spend. Try to avoid unecessary purchases.
5. Choose affordable accommodation - B&B, hostels, youth hostels, rent a room if you're visiting for longer, whatever is available.
6. If you're planning to sightsee/visit touristic attractions, do a research - it's often possible to book cheaper tickets online.
7. Put aside some money for emergency situations. Something that travelling has taught me - it's never ever possible to completely stick to the plan. Even if you plan your spendings in detail, it's likely you'll spend more in the end. Plus it's vital to be prepared for all kinds of situations.

Hope it helps! <3
xoxo S

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Vacation? - April 30th 2021, 11:21 AM

I don't have an overall spending limit. I tend to just save and put aside as much money as I possibly can before the trip and work with whatever I saved up.

However, if I'm going to be visiting multiple locations, whatever money I've saved up, I'll split between each place I intend to visit. For example, if I've saved up £300 and I want to visit 4 places, I set aside about £75 per place. If I didn't spend all the money I had split from one place to another, then I just add it to the money split for the next place I intend to visit and see how it goes.

I agree with Sue. Make sure you do separate a certain amount of money and set it aside for emergencies. My nan always taught me to make sure I at least had enough for emergency transport. Make sure you have enough money for some extra food, water, and transport at the bare minimum. This is to ensure you can get home without worry of being stranded.
Closed Thread