TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Unmotivated and stressed (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t161555-unmotivated-stressed/)

Hiding in the Dark April 14th 2021 02:41 AM

Unmotivated and stressed

Due to family problems, panic attacks, and feeling unmotivated, I’ve been getting very behind in school work. This only heightens my anxiety. I’ve asked some teachers for extensions but then I drag it on for weeks. The only thing I feel like doing when I get home, is laying on my bed doing nothing.

Everglow. April 14th 2021 06:35 PM

Re: Unmotivated and stressed

Hey there,

I can understand the feelings you're describing. I often put things off that bring me anxiety and which I'm not motivated for when I'm not doing so well too and it's very normal to lose interest and motivation when you're dealing with problems at home. I'm sorry you're going through this right now.

I know you have asked for extensions from your teachers which is great because it offers you some flexibility in getting your work finished. Have you spoken to your teachers about why these extensions are needed? When I was studying at university I was lucky to be very supported by one of my lecturers, and he helped me to deal with my anxiety really well because he understood. I wonder if talking to a teacher you trust and explaining some of the things you're dealing with at home and with regard to your mental health might help you too? They might be able to help you put a plan into place and support you in catching up with the work you're falling behind on too. Sometimes having another person who can help you set managable goals can make the mountain of work seem more like smaller steps.

Another thing which helps me conquer tasks which seem impossible is to set myself small and achievable goals for the day. Instead of saying to yourself "I have to do this whole essay, read that whole book, do this whole piece of work", break it down a bit. Make yourself a timetable if it helps, and give yourself breaks. That way, you're not going to be working for hours and hours, and if you're feeling overwhelmed, you're allowing yourself time to clear your head, get some air, and breathe. Maybe your teachers can help you do this too.

Be kind to yourself though. I know that feeling overwhelmed, panicky, anxious and upset is a lot to take on, and dealing with it all at the same time is not easy. You're doing the right thing by reaching out, and I hope that it helps to know you're not alone and you're not the only one who's been where you are. If you need anything, feel free to reach out to me any time. I hope you're okay.

DeletedAccount59 April 16th 2021 03:40 PM

Re: Unmotivated and stressed

Thanks for reaching out! I get that feeling all too well, anxiety causes me to shut down and not want to do the things I hvae to get done. It's great that you're already aware that you need the extra time for assignments, and have asked teachers for extensions; but actually doing the work can be a challenge especially when anxious.

Have you considered reaching out to your parents, a trusted adult, a peer, or a school guidance counselor for support? It sounds like there is something weighing on your mind that might or might not have to do with schoolwork; and it'd make your life a lot easier if you had a support system in place.

I agree with the poster above in that you need to remember to take care of yourself. Being in high school is not like being in college/university. You can't withdraw from the class and if you miss too many days/or don't hand in assignments, you get held back a year. So, I think it's really important to get that support system and to take care of yourself at the same time.

I do not want to see you repeat another year of high school. Feel free to reach out again if needed. :hug: