TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Karlsssss Offline
Karlsssss
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Parent with custody consenting to abortion? - April 23rd 2014, 01:54 AM

I'm 15 living with my grandparents who have custody of me and I think may be pregnant by my boyfriend. My question is can my mom consent to me having an abortion without custody of me? I'm sure she has a copy of my birth certificate and everything. Also I live in Alabama.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: Parent with custody consenting to abortion? - April 23rd 2014, 02:18 AM

In most places, whoever has custody of you has to give consent. If they have joint custody, it's a little different in every place. So, if your grandparents are your legal guardians, you will have to get their permission for anything a normal "parent" would have to give consent to.

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Parent with custody consenting to abortion? - April 23rd 2014, 05:23 AM

"...the State of Alabama requires women under 18 to comply with the parental notification law which means that a teen must have written consent of a parent or guardian to receive abortion services. The minor’s parent or legal guardian must sign and date a form stating that she or he is informed that the minor desires an abortion and does consent to the abortion. The minor must sign the form in the presence of the person who shall perform the abortion or his agent to verify that the signature of the parents, parent or legal guardian is authentic."

Planned Parenthood Southeast, Inc.- Alabama laws
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pps...laws-32292.htm

If your grandparents are your legal guardians, they are the ones who will have to give you consent to obtain and abortion. Your mom will not be able to give consent because she does not have legal custody of you. However, if you feel you really cannot talk to them about this, you can always petition a court to waive the abortion notification.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Anastasiana Offline
Jumping Jellybeans Batman!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Parent with custody consenting to abortion? - April 26th 2014, 08:17 AM

To add to the above comments, if you're within the 3(I think) day limit, you may be able to get a Plan B pill. I'm not sure if you need to be a certain age for that, but seeing as you can get them on a internet I doubt it. That may prevent going through a tough process with your grandparents.

Closed Thread