TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AlwaysCaring Offline
Average Joe

Sexual Partner and Age - November 6th 2014, 07:23 AM

Does age matter when it comes to a sexual partner?

If 2 people are of age than it doesn't matter if they have sex
with each other right?

Example the guy is 20,21, or 22 and the girl is years older than that!!

That's fine right?

Would the guy not care about the age difference?

What is everyone's opinion?
About everything in this thread?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ditzy Mermaid Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Ariel<3

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 6th 2014, 07:49 AM

I personaly will not date anyone 7 years older than me and that's pushing it.
To some people age doesn't matter but to others it does.
I know as I get older it probably wont matter as much but for right now I am still young and it still does matter.
I hope this answers the question a little bit.

Out in the ocean
Swimming wild and free
Oh, how I wish
I was the mermaid
I was meant to be
Poem by me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 6th 2014, 11:27 AM

I would say it depends on how young the youngest party is. For example, take a 6 year age difference- a 14 year old and a 20 year old. Seems massive, doesn't it? The two parties are at different stages in their lives, experiencing completely different events (the 14 year old would probably be at school, whereas the 20 year old could be at uni or a full time job). This could make the relationship quite hard, and it also may be frowned upon, since any sexual relations would be against the law. But if we take two different ages, still six years apart- say, a 40 year old and a 46 year old, the age gap doesn't seem quite so severe. Both parties are probably at similar maturity levels and experiencing similar things. So in my opinion it really depends on the age of the parties rather than the gap, if that makes sense.

In your 20s, I'd say quite a big age difference could be had without it affecting the relationship. If you're both of age, yes sex is legal. And I couldn't say whether the guy would care about the age difference- you'd have to ask him. But to most people, age isn't a massive concern.

Hope that helps a bit (:

Take as long as you need.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 6th 2014, 07:12 PM

I think it depends on the age.
If you assume people start dating at 13, the age gap should be no more than 1 year,

from 14-17 I would say that 2 years is ok, so like 14-16, MAYBE 14-17 and 16-18,

But NEVER think it is ok for someone who is 19+ to be dating someone who is 17 and younger because to me, it's like, ok why is that person still hanging out with high school aged kids because they should be done high school and it's weird when they're still hanging out with high school kids.

The exception? If a couple started dating in high school and there is an age gap (like 2 years) and now 1 person is 17 and the other is 19, that's different. In that case, they got together while in the same point in life - you aren't that creepy 19/20 year old who is still hanging out with high school people

When you become adults, I think the age gap can increase accordingly,

I think you can date within the 18-24 range without question

25-35 seems ok

etc.

I think that the bigger issue is more like place in life. Like I am still a student, so despite being 23, I would not want to date someone who is 30. Either that 30 year old is immature, or I will be expected to want to do things I don't want to do, Like why isn't the 30 year old wanting to settle down and have kids or having a stable career? Right now, I DO NOT want to buy a house because I don't know where I will be living 6-8 months from now much less where I will be 5 years from now, I don't want kids yet, I have no money, I'm not planning to be married soon and I don't really even want to entertain these things yet -- but I think I would lose respect for someone who is 30+ who is still stuck in that place of life. And, of course, I am assuming this is the average person too.

Ok so my point is that I think that age DOES matter but also I think the time of life matters a lot too, so like people my age (early to mid 20's) might be ready for all those things and will get on better with someone who's 30+ and someone my own age who is wanting those things might not be compatible for me.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 6th 2014, 08:32 PM

I agree. When you're a teenager(13-17) and you're dating someone above the age or 18 any sex you have is illegal. And being around that age when you're changing so much, dating someone 20 is not ok in my opinion unless you started dating them as a teenager and they became an adult then. I don't think it's possible to form a good, healthy relationship at this age.

However, once you're in your 20s and everything age gaps don't cause that much of a difference anymore. You can date someone 10 years older than you and still have it work out as long as it's what you both want and you're on the same maturity level, at similar places in life and with the same life goals(children, no children, things like that).

I'm 16 and I tend to date people the same age as me, I wouldn't be comfortable dating someone too young or too old.

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 6th 2014, 10:30 PM

I mean, what do you mean with "matters?" To me, as long as they are both of the age of consent and want to have sex, they can go right ahead. I wouldn't date anybody way older or way younger than me, but that's just me.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 6th 2014, 10:56 PM

I think the general social "rule" is half your age, plus 7 years. So if you're 20, 17 would be the lower cap. If you're 40, 27 would be the lower cap.

But, I don't find constraints regarding age, unless we're talking about legalities and consent issues.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 6th 2014, 11:34 PM

Personally if two people are over the age of consent then I don't see the issue. I've seen people who're 16 be in relationships with those over 70 and it's not because of the money or because of some cultural thing, it's because they genuinely loved each other.

However, for me personally, I actually like people who're older than me. I have no issue being with someone who's in their mid to late 30's but I wouldn't wan't to be with anyone lower than around 16 not just for legal reasons but because it just feels uncomfortable to me.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Garyl Offline
What's next, little man?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Eli

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 7th 2014, 02:41 AM

As long as both people are over the age of consent there is no legal reason why they can't have sex. The rest of it's a matter of personal preference. My boyfriend is thirty years older than me and it works just fine for us. That would squick a lot of people out, though. It just depends on the people involved. I know plenty of guys who wouldn't find it weird to be with an older woman.

Let's eat some spectral oats!
  Send a message via Yahoo to Garyl  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 7th 2014, 03:08 AM

As long as both parties have met the age of consent and both DO consent, I see nothing wrong with any age.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 7th 2014, 03:42 AM

Personally I don't really care.. As long as you both consent but if it is anything drastic like 13 year old with a 20 yearold... I think its weird... But hey I'm not gonna stop you! its just my opinion.. But ONLY if you both consent and its legal age too!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kay

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 7th 2014, 03:59 AM

Personally I think if two people are of the age of consent and want to have sex, they can go ahead with it!
I wouldn't mind dating someone who is 1 year younger than me upto 7 years older than me. But, that is just me.

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 7th 2014, 09:51 PM

I see nothing wrong with what the OP said. Age doesn't matter, as long as its legal who cares.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 8th 2014, 01:55 AM

Age doesn't matter if there's two people who truly care for each other. Of course at legal ages! But yeah, I am a huge believer in being with whoever you want. My boyfriend is 11 years older than me and neither of us ever think about it, it's as if we were the same age.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Temperance Offline
Mi Vida Loca
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jess :)

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 8th 2014, 04:03 AM

I've personally been with people within 1-2 years of my own age, and found them way too immature. I'm with someone 10 years older than me and we're at pretty much the same stage in life. Age doesn't matter as long as both parties are of legal age and are consenting.

~We're all misfits living in a world on fire~

Butterfly, don't fly away on me yet

(#16 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 8th 2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysCaring View Post
Does age matter when it comes to a sexual partner?

If 2 people are of age than it doesn't matter if they have sex
with each other right?

Example the guy is 20,21, or 22 and the girl is years older than that!!

That's fine right?

Would the guy not care about the age difference?

What is everyone's opinion?
About everything in this thread?

Answer to your first question if 2 people are of age it is technically legal unless it is forced upon the other person. I feel this is something two people should really discuss together or in other words get to know one another before making the decision. Ask the other person how they feel about the age and ask yourself that also and then go forward from there on.

I hoped I helped some!

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'

(#17 (permalink)) Old
-Dreamer Offline
<3
Average Joe

Re: Sexual Partner and Age - November 9th 2014, 03:05 PM

It would depend on the age gap and the person really.

I've had a friend who dated a guy over 20 years older than her. She likes to date older men. She was of legal age and their relationship worked while they were together.

However, me personally wouldn't be into dating someone who would be more than 3/4 years older than I was. In terms of age gaps, I don't care if someone wants to date someone who is 80 years old, as long as they are over the age of consent, I see nothing wrong with it.

Closed Thread