TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    Valentine's Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
RedBantha Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Going on the Internet - May 11th 2015, 11:20 PM

Hi everyone, I'm having quite a struggle at the moment and just want to talk to some people about it.

My current issue surrounds the website of Omegle and the activity of online 'sexting'. I've been using the unmoderated section for sometime now, since I turned 18 (I'm now 19 and a half), although I'm not a frequent user of it. Usually I go through bursts of using it, for example I will not use it for 1 or 2 months and then proceed to use it incessantly for a couple of days.

Now, I've finally decided to quit using it altogether because it is destroying my mentality and the healthiness of my mind because I spend so much time feeling guilty about my actions on there and getting stressed and worried about the consequences.

As I became more accustomed to using the website I learned that being intimate with another 18+ year old was perfectly fine, although I still felt/feel terribly guilty about it. However, during my time using it I know that I have been intimate with a couple of girls who were definitely not 18 by their own admission.

This makes me feel awful because I feel like I am a bad person and a pervert for doing this. At the time when I first started using this website I had no idea that it was actually illegal for people younger than 18 to be doing stuff like that and then illegal for me to be exposing myself as I did.

I can count on one hand the amount of times this situation has happened, not that that would make any difference, but I feel disgusting about it and I really cannot stop worrying about it. Is this normal for someone my age? I know it's no excuse, but I've never had a relationship before and this was my way of 'experimenting' and finding out about my sexual drives.

Another thing which really disappoints me is that it has taken me as long as this to realise how bad it actually was. At the time when my hormones are virtually uncontrollable it seemed like a good and fun idea as I was able to express myself with somebody else.

Has anybody else had experiences like this?

I am also frightened about the consequences of having done this. I feel like a really bad person for misplacing people's trust in me and as a serial worrier (Currently having cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to deal try and deal with my worrying) I am thinking about the absolute worst scenario from this. I am worried that the police will get involved and I will be prosecuted for what I have done.

I have talked this through with my parents and told them everything as I have a strong relationship with them and they told me there is nothing to worry about. I trust them, but is that really true?

If anyone has the time to read this post and help I would be so grateful. My mind is all over the place at the moment and I just want to be walking around without this feeling of weight on my shoulders.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

May 12th 2015, 06:41 AM

Just calm down. If the police do come (which they almost certainly won't), you can just explain to them that you didn't know about the
age limits in the first place, and that when you found out you felt bad, and that now you've deided to stop going on such websites. They'd almost certainly let you off with nothing more than a warning. Just calm down and forget about it.

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

Last edited by LlamaLlamaDuck; May 12th 2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Going on the Internet - May 12th 2015, 06:44 AM

Hi! You shouldn't have anything to worry about, if something were to happen to you, I think it would've happened when you first started doing it. If you are still really worried about it, look at it this way. A LOT of people would be sitting in jail right now if what you are thinking would be true. And I mean a lot. Plus, the police probably have better things to do than see what people do in their bedrooms, or in this case computer. Hope this helped even a tiny bit

"Remember your loved and you always will be. This melody will bring you right back home." - Linkin park, The messenger. Stay strong everyone!! You are always strong enough to get through whatever life throws your way, no matter how hard it may seem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
RedBantha Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Going on the Internet - May 12th 2015, 08:16 AM

Thanks for your responses guys. A few days ago I actually removed my in-built camera from my laptop and destroyed it so it definitely cannot be used again.

So could you say that there is effectively no chance of anything happening because the possibility is so slim, or should I be concerned?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Going on the Internet - May 13th 2015, 04:25 AM

I myself wouldn't be concerned, yeah.

"Remember your loved and you always will be. This melody will bring you right back home." - Linkin park, The messenger. Stay strong everyone!! You are always strong enough to get through whatever life throws your way, no matter how hard it may seem.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TolPros Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Going on the Internet - May 13th 2015, 09:48 AM

Yeah! The police have much important things to do. Just calm down and find others things to do in your free time. Ride a bike..do something you like (i reall like bikes!).

(#7 (permalink)) Old
RedBantha Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Going on the Internet - May 19th 2015, 09:45 PM

Hey guys, I've steered clear of this site but I'm still finding myself concerned about it, I was wondering about contacting the admin team through the site's feedback system? I'm not sure if that's a good idea though.

Another thing I keep worrying about is something I did ages ago by accident in a chat. For anyone who's used the site, opening up with the answer to the question 'ASL?' usually determines whether the person on the other end wants to talk to you or not. As such, I decided to 'copy' my answer and then just hit CTRL + V to make the process slightly quicker. Anyway, I left the site for a bit and ended up copying a URL of an adult website (I know that seems like a long shot, but I usually have to do this a lot for any video websites, even YouTube, because the sound on my laptop cuts out and to get it back involves resetting the sound on my Control Panel and re-opening my web browsers after this has been done. I copied the URL to save myself time of finding the URL again).

When I returned to Omegle I went straight in with my standard CTRL + V response and hit enter without thinking and then realised I had sent the link to that website. Needless to say I cut the connection with the stranger straight away and that is the ONLY time that has ever happened. It was sheer stupidity rather than my attempt at harming somebody which I would never set out to do.

I don't know why this worries me so much, the fact I can remember this incident so much later on than it happened makes me feel stupid in a way. I feel so guilty about it all and I cannot shake it out of my system because I've always viewed myself as a good person. Do you think I should be worried? As I said in my first post, I'm seeking CBT (Essentially counselling). This happened over 120 days ago, which is the approximate length of time Omegle hold records for, but I am still so worried. Would you be as concerned as I am if this happened to you, am I overreacting? I really don't know

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Dan11 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Going on the Internet - May 20th 2015, 10:33 PM

Youre fine dude! You have nothing to worry about. You are not a bad person. We all make mistakes and if we didn't we wouldnt nature,grow and learn lessons. Ive made countless mistakes just like you and Ive felt guilty afterward but I choose to move forward and try to be the best person I can be. Dont worry about the link you sent. That happens on a daily basis with other people! Forget about it and move on. Remember our mistakes dont define us! PM me if you wanna talk : )

(#9 (permalink)) Old
RedBantha Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Going on the Internet - May 21st 2015, 08:54 PM

Thanks for your reply Dan, I see you're having your own problems yourself. How about other's, is this really something that should be a concern or am I putting too much thought into this?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Going on the Internet - May 23rd 2015, 09:43 PM

Hey there, try thinking about things in this perspective.

You feel really worried and bad. I would make sense to apologize to those minors, but I think you cant relocate people on omegle, so I have a new suggestion. You can make amends to the situation by not doing things like that with a minor again. What you've done is in the past, you shouldn't continue to beat yourself up for it. You know and feel what you did was wrong. Clearly you show remorse. Accept what you've done, and move forward. You can't change what you've done, and what you've done isn't THAT bad. No point in dwelling on something you can't change. The only thing you can change in this is your behavior in the future.

As far as cops and laws go. If you're almost at the point where omegle gets rid of records, you should be fine. Like mentioned above, if it was a problem you would of heard about it by now. And honestly, unless the girls reported you, you're fine. If this ever happened, which is highly unlikely, the cop contact you just be honest and say you truly didn't know and that you haven't done such things since. I wouldn't bother writing to omegle, it's unnecessary and won't change anything.

Just breath and positively move forward

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread